LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Home Improvement Today?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #1961
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
now you're tempting me

...yep, he was referring to the hand-held kind, while i was thinking of the desktop type as you have shown... i'm not experienced /w these machines, but i'm assuming i'd still have to first get one face flat (including removing twist), and then it would have taken a lot of passes to get the opposing face co-planar... there was quite a bit of twist and thickness variations across these slabs... and then, i still would've had to joint the edges flat/square and parallel by hand, no?

Yes , if you are trying to joint a board , you would have to true one face first before using the thickness planer

The electric hand plane just gives you the ability to quickly remove the bulk of the material
Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #1962
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Yes , if you are trying to joint a board , you would have to true one face first before using the thickness planer

The electric hand plane just gives you the ability to quickly remove the bulk of the material
got it... the power tool would've helped w/ the rough dimensioning (...i.e. in place of my scrub plane conversion)... my biggest concern was getting the edges jointed and straight because i'm going to glue the slabs together edge-wise... then, i'll have to re-flatten at least one (the top) of the faces...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #1963
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This^^
Old 01-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #1964
Jesus thinks you suck too
Frkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
Frkypunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post

Got all the drywall and hardibacker hung. Time to tape and mud the seams, as well as screw in some corner bead and make it all look nice and pretty. This project is taking forever and I can't wait to at least get the vanity and toilet installed. Going to aim for paint this weekend so I can tile the floor next week to get those fixtures in there.

Should I put a little piece of hardibacker next to the tub near the floor and tile that area, or use drywall and paint it?

I always run my concrete board/ hardi board over that lip (the one on top of the tub). I normally fur out the walls with 1/4" material and have also carved out board. I feel it give one more level of protection that the water will not get behind the wall. I have seen it done that way but I think they build it out with some sort of hydraulic cement.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #1965
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkypunk View Post
I always run my concrete board/ hardi board over that lip (the one on top of the tub). I normally fur out the walls with 1/4" material and have also carved out board. I feel it give one more level of protection that the water will not get behind the wall. I have seen it done that way but I think they build it out with some sort of hydraulic cement.

It's not supposed to go over the tub flange

" 3. Attachment
Place a 1/4" spacer strip or shim around lip of tub or shower pan to hold bottom edge of cement board off lip. "

http://www.northlandconstruction.com...tion_Guide.pdf
Old 01-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #1966

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Love at first sight

Quote:
I have a few more items to add from the site but this is what I have in there so far

Old 01-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #1967
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Love at first sight

Nice Pete

what's the square in the front rt corner (next to the tape measure) for? My dad had one, just don't know what it's "main purpose" is
Old 01-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #1968
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Nice Pete

what's the square in the front rt corner (next to the tape measure) for? My dad had one, just don't know what it's "main purpose" is
For marking straight square marks on things, such as wood, but can be used on any material. Very similar to the other one on the left, just doesn't have the 45 degree capability or the little level bubble and isn't adjustable
Old 01-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #1969

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice Pete

I use it mainly to set tools up for square cuts
Old 01-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #1970
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks Pete
Old 01-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #1971

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks Pete

anytime
Old 01-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #1972

Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Learn something new every day
Old 01-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #1973

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Home Improvement Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchop View Post
Learn something new every day

Like table saws , chop saws , biscuit joiner , anything with a tilting fence or blade
Old 01-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #1974

Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like table saws , chop saws , biscuit joiner , anything with a tilting fence or blade
Yeah, I know what your were referring to. I always just thought they were really nice squares for fine cabinetry wood workers.

I always use a speed square for saws and such.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #1975

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchop View Post
Yeah, I know what your were referring to. I always just thought they were really nice squares for fine cabinetry wood workers.

I always use a speed square for saws and such.

I use that square for joinery sometimes too
Old 01-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #1976
Frkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It's not supposed to go over the tub flange

" 3. Attachment
Place a 1/4" spacer strip or shim around lip of tub or shower pan to hold bottom edge of cement board off lip. "

http://www.northlandconstruction.com...tion_Guide.pdf
All I get from that ....was I could run it down to the tub...and, I am still ok. Why fill it if you run it down?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #1977

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All I get from that ....was I could run it down to the tub...and, I am still ok. Why fill it if you run it down?

You said you run yours over the flange , that's incorrect
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #1978

Quote:
You said you run yours over the flange , that's incorrect
If you fill it anyway...what's the difference?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #1979

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you fill it anyway...what's the difference?

The tub attaches to the framing , the substrate attaches to the framing , they are in plane with each other , going over the tub flange creates a bulge or an extremely thin area
Old 01-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #1980

Quote:
The tub attaches to the framing , the substrate attaches to the framing , they are in plane with each other , going over the tub flange creates a bulge or an extremely thin area
Not if you carve out the backside

Products Discussed in this Thread