Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Home Improvement Today?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Home Improvement Today?

What home improvements have you done recently?

Saturday night, I hit my breaking point and I couldn't handle one more repair on the toilet. Based on recommendations locally and on the net, I went for a Toto Drake. I got the old toilet out and go to put my replacement shut off valve only to realize that I didn't have the correct piece and that there aren't too many hardware stores open at 10:30. I was able to find a cap in the garage and now I've got the water back on, but I'm down 1 toilet.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Core Aerated my front yard to overseed with bermuda. Whoever the bastard is, that invented the core aerator(not the kind you pull behind a tractor)
should be shot!!!

I have muscles hurting that I didn't know I had.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanTRDmachine View Post
redoing the side of the house. killed all the grass, put down the black weed mat and just brought home 20 bags of riverstone to put down instead of mulch. not quite done yet, but looks good so far!
Thats hard work! I bet slinging those riverstone bags got tiresome after a while.
I did the professional weed guard on one of my islands, landscaping edging & pinestraw. Next year I'm putting mulch down.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
Replaced the vinal flooring in 2 and 1/2 bathrooms. Along with the fausets, lighting fixtures, exhaust fans and paint. Worse part was scraping up the old glue.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Now, here's the real question. How much of this home improvement was acutally YOUR idea and not the wife????

Over the past 3 months I have....Sanded and refinished hardwood floors, put down tile in the kitchen, removed 4 old windows and put in nice new vinyl ones, pressure washed the entire house, dug a 100' drainage ditch, installed pipe in that ditch along with about 7 ton of gravel by hand, and all that with a huge smile on my face!!!!!

And absolutely none of it was my idea...lol

But she is about 4 1/2 months along with our first kid, so I cant complain too much.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:23 AM   #7
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
OK... you asked for it this is my home project DIY.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:32 AM   #8
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I just power washed my deck so I can stain/seal it. I also have some drywall work going on in my bathroom, then the wife is painting both bathrooms.(I dont paint )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
OK... you asked for it this is my home project DIY.
Kick ass retaining wall man!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:46 AM   #9
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
I just power washed my deck so I can stain/seal it. I also have some drywall work going on in my bathroom, then the wife is painting both bathrooms.(I dont paint )

Kick ass retaining wall man!
Thanks Homer, hopefully I finish it before winter
Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
This is a good thread, we're always doing home improvement projects.

Since we moved into the new house in May, we've done the following:

Install sod ourselves on 1/2 acre of our land
put my "shiny" garage floor in
Prepare the underside of my back deck so I can park my tractor under it. This means putting a layer of gravel down, and putting up fence panels

That's all I can think of right now

At our other house, we put in hardwood floors in the whole house, all by ourselves. 2000 sq ft of the shit. Took us 4 months, but we got the shit done!

We also installed a big paver patio in the back
Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 AM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not doing it Today, but we are ripping out all of the carpet in my house and replacing it with wood.

Gonna get around to cleaning out the garage one day.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #12
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Very impressive projects from the lot of you.

I've been in my house for about 2 years. So far, we have done a pretty good amount of work to it, but there is still plenty left to be done.

I dug a 6'x2'x100' trench for a new sewer line. I had plumbers come lay the pipe. I ran PEX tubing in place of my galvanized pipes. We painted the inside of the house. I ran hidden wires for the home theatre system and ceiling mounted speakers in the rest of the house. All new ceiling fixtures. Replaced some questionable wiring under and inside the house. Layed about 900 square feet of St. Augustine sod. Layed a 400 square foot patio with 1'x1' concrete squares. Poured and finished the front walkway.

This weekend I have to jack up the house an inch and scab on some more floor joists. My china cabinet is causing my floor to sag and crack.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I put 8 windows in over the last month.

This weekend I got on the roof to patch yet another leak... So that's going to be another project when I have time, money, help, and the balls to spend all #$*@&%) day on a steep as roof to replace it.

I've been working on cutting/splitting a dead cherry tree my buddy dropped for me about a month ago. (High heat, too many bugs, and no help has dragged this project on longer than I'd like.)

Put an 11x11 canopy on my deck last weekend too so it doesn't get hot enough to fry an egg when we cook out.

Still need to do new doors, and more windows. But I'm out of money and patience at this point.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
watch the meat
cleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
cleanTRDmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cleanTRDmachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Thats hard work! I bet slinging those riverstone bags got tiresome after a while.
I did the professional weed guard on one of my islands, landscaping edging & pinestraw. Next year I'm putting mulch down.
shit is taking forever, so far we've put 30 bags down....still need about 15 more...at around $4 a bag!!!!

and my f*cking tacoma can't haul for shit....
i had 20 bags in the back yesterday and it was squatting like there was no tomorrow....WTF, if I go to the dealer and tell them, would they let me do the suspension TSB?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
This weekend I trimmed my bushes, and went swimming. Does that count?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #16
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The before we have got a lot of rain the last few years and the retaining wall began to fail leaning forward about 10".

click to enlarge

Just finished this project up in the last few weeks.

click to enlarge
Old 07-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #17
Western Alliance: Yeehaw Division
Clelsdah is on a distinguished road

Clelsdah's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished removing all lath and plaster in 2 bedrooms, over 900sq ft worth of blown in paper cellulose insulation from attic to expose/remove knob and tube wiring. 3 days down, 9 to go to rewire, replace 6 windows, hang 30 12' sheets of sheetrock, tape, texture, and paint. All this because the wife wanted to repaint the bedrooms. After this "vacation" I'll be looking forward to going back to work to rest.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clelsdah View Post
Just finished removing all lath and plaster in 2 bedrooms, over 900sq ft worth of blown in paper cellulose insulation from attic to expose/remove knob and tube wiring. 3 days down, 9 to go to rewire, replace 6 windows, hang 30 12' sheets of sheetrock, tape, texture, and paint. All this because the wife wanted to repaint the bedrooms. After this "vacation" I'll be looking forward to going back to work to rest.
good luck with all of that. I did that for 6 yrs on an old Colonial house I had. Man did I get burned out.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:13 AM   #19
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
this weekend i trimmed my bushes, and went swimming. Does that count?
lol!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #20
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
I just power washed my deck so I can stain/seal it.
I did that too & it hasn't stopped raining long enough for me stain it!

I have a new fiberglass entrance Door & Anderson storm door waiting in the garage to be put in. I bartered some computer work for the installation, I don't want to screw it up

Products Discussed in this Thread