Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Calling the plumbers in the crowd

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Calling the plumbers in the crowd

So I'm working my way thru the house (I can't say new house any more really...We have made a couple mortgage payments) and the honey-do list.
Step 1 was fix a leaking hot water feed line in the attic...which turned into have a plumber come in and replace the 10+ year old hot water heater. Good choice- The water is hot and seems to flow a little better-

BUT the problem is that it takes a good 45 seconds to a minute of full open hot tap to get hot water to the faucets on the far side of the house-the master bath and the kitchen sink.

So I've been doing some reading: http://www.askthebuilder.com/413_Hot...ng_Pumps.shtml

and they seem to think the timer recirc pumps with the temperature sensing valve is the way to go.

Two things:
1) Anyone have any stories about how they are to install and/or how they worked.
2) Any idea how to tell which faucet is farthest from the hot water heater??

Sorry for the ramble. Any tips or stories are appreciated!!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a recirculatint pump in my house about 5 years ago. It's pretty easy. THey work pretty well. You set the time for when you want the hot water to be instant. We have ours set to run from 9 PM to 9 AM. It takes maybe two hour to install. You put it under the faucet farthest from the water heater, which for us is our master bath.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Hot water tank is set about 130-140 ish and the house is 1500 sq ft and it's about 40 feet from the tank to the faucet (which leaves about .91 gallons of water in the pipe).
sounds kinda like my house man. our water heater is very close to the back bathroom in the house, but the bathroom on the far end of the house would get the hottest water first, which was kinda weird to me, but its just how its piped. our house is right over 1500 sq. ft. as well. i turned the water heater up, and now it evened out for both bathrooms and the kitchen, but it is good and hot. you may wanna try bumping the water heater up some and see what happens.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about knowing exactly what the absolute furthest point is in the plumbing system. If the shower you normally use takes a while to get the hot water to, plumb in the recirc to that bathroom.

Products Discussed in this Thread