Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Throwable fire extinguisher offers instant solution to small fire emergencies

Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Throwable fire extinguisher offers instant solution to small fire emergencies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0F1_...layer_embedded

I would buy a couple.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Doesnt look anymore affective (less actually), than any other decent regular extinguisher.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
what would I do when I caught on fire?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder what that chemical is? Better hope it is not carbon tetrachloride. Carbon tetrachloride takes the oxygen out of the air, there for suffocating the fire. They use to use it every where until they figured out that humans need oxygen to breath. Carbon tetrachloride is illegal in the states for fire safety.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
I wonder what that chemical is? Better hope it is not carbon tetrachloride. Carbon tetrachloride takes the oxygen out of the air, there for suffocating the fire. They use to use it every where until they figured out that humans need oxygen to breath. Carbon tetrachloride is illegal in the states for fire safety.
A google search seems to indicate the active ingredient is potassium carbonate. ...
Old 04-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
A google search seems to indicate the active ingredient is potassium carbonate. ...
Thats allot more benign, hope thats what it is.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so my aim sucks. Do I keep 30 of them around or just a Yankees pitcher? Ill stick to old school....RUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats allot more benign, hope thats what it is.
I agree, potassium carbonate is one my favorite carbonates.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
newskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: firefighter
Name: Nick
newskooler's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a foam solution used for class B applications or "flammable Liquids". it forms a barrier between the fuel and oxygen thus taking out the fire. ill look it up and see if im right or not...
Old 04-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
Rufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant future

Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

^^^These were my thoughts. Just didn't know chemical make up.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
TMASS has a spectacular aura aboutTMASS has a spectacular aura about

Navy: Prior 2nd Class Petty Office(EO2) with the Navy Seabee's
Name: T-MASS
TMASS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
Ok so my aim sucks. Do I keep 30 of them around or just a Yankees pitcher? Ill stick to old school....RUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe they give you your own china-men with purchases over 3 cases..
Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
newskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: firefighter
Name: Nick
newskooler's Tacoma Gallery
from the SAT 119 website

"When ampoule is thrown at the fires the chemical will disperse over the burning area. At the same time, the extinguishing chemicals would generate ammonium gas. Water evaporation would cool down the temperature of combustibles (cooling effectiveness) while ammonium gas would create a fire retardation effect that restrains the burning chain reaction. At the same time, one of the main ingredients for SAT119 and carbon dioxide produced by heat would suffocate oxygen and restrain combustibles from burning (cutting oxygen)."

it produces CO2 4000ppm and Ammonium Gas 20ppm. pretty neat set up.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
HMFD110 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Volunteer Firefirefighter EMT
HMFD110's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newskooler View Post
from the SAT 119 website

"When ampoule is thrown at the fires the chemical will disperse over the burning area. At the same time, the extinguishing chemicals would generate ammonium gas. Water evaporation would cool down the temperature of combustibles (cooling effectiveness) while ammonium gas would create a fire retardation effect that restrains the burning chain reaction. At the same time, one of the main ingredients for SAT119 and carbon dioxide produced by heat would suffocate oxygen and restrain combustibles from burning (cutting oxygen)."

Yea it seems cool, I'd still pefer a water can or ABC extinguisher. A water can will successfully knock down a bedroom fire and you'll still have enough if it reignites. Cause you know some poor sap is gonna open up a window, to "let the heat out" and get roasted. Does it say any hazard warnings asside that its an asphyxiant gas?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Am I the only one that didn't understand a word they where saying? Anyway, I wouldn't think they work as good as the video. That is probably the best scenario for it to work. I would like to see it work on an open burning fire of the same size. I wouldn't want to keep one in my truck either, a good bump and that shit might be all over the place.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #16

TMASS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Am I the only one that didn't understand a word they where saying? Anyway, I wouldn't think they work as good as the video. That is probably the best scenario for it to work. I would like to see it work on an open burning fire of the same size. I wouldn't want to keep one in my truck either, a good bump and that shit might be all over the place.
I think that's the least of your concerns.. I would be more concerned about passing out and driving off a cliff.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMASS View Post
I think that's the least of your concerns.. I would be more concerned about passing out and driving off a cliff.
Ya but no fire inside the cab!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #18

TMASS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newskooler View Post
from the SAT 119 website

I work at a hydro electric dam and we use CO2 in our turbine pits as an extinguishing agent. We're taught, if you hear the CO2 alarm, RUN LIKE HELL..
Old 04-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFD110 View Post
Yea it seems cool, I'd still pefer a water can or ABC extinguisher. A water can will successfully knock down a bedroom fire and you'll still have enough if it reignites. Cause you know some poor sap is gonna open up a window, to "let the heat out" and get roasted. Does it say any hazard warnings asside that its an asphyxiant gas?
x2
Old 04-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #20
Patrobs is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Patrick
Patrobs's Tacoma Gallery
THis isnt a new concept. At the department I work for we have alot of these old extinguishers that are just like this. It's a glass bulb that would hang on the wall and if there was a fire they would throw it at the fire