1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom bed bench

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by jacobigindi, May 9, 2011.

1. May 9, 2011 at 10:47 PM
    jacobigindi

jacobigindi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 5 lug AC
    [​IMG]

Hey all. Looks like this is gunna be my first project this summer. All i have so far is the "blueprints" if u wanna call a math class doodle that. Basically the wood work is mainly gunna be 1x6's and 3/4" plywood. My cousin is gunna make the cushion covers with a big fabric tacoma logo on one of the backrests and a white stripe across both backrests. There are gunna be four individual cushions so i can take them out from one side, fold down the backrest on that side and use it as a table if I want. The back rests will just rest against the front bed rail i guess. The whole bench can be set up in front of the tailgate facing forward, but it would be more reclined. The 1x6's underneath the seat will fit into those little grooves in the bed walls. The whole wood frame is gunna fold up into a 28x18x7" package which should fit nicely in my AC. I'll probably cover the wood part with bed liner to match my bed. The two side legs fold towards the walls when you fold up the bench. The two backrests fold down onto the seat, and the seats fold down to the support in the middle. Hopefully this little scetch is fairly understandable. Lemme know what u think. Any design flaws etc. :)

2. May 11, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Just one question, what's the purpose? Camping, hunting? Seems like a decent enough idea, just make sure you have room for the cooler to be close by when the seats are mounted!

3. May 11, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    demesauce

demesauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner
    3" Lift, Tonneau Cover
    Ummm...... why?

4. May 11, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    jacobigindi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 5 lug AC
    just for tailgating or whatever. It wont be permanently mounted. I'll be able to fold it up and put in in the back of my AC. Right now i have two beach chairs in the back and they take up more room than i would like. This design would be a bit more compact and...comfortable

5. May 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I like it, it'll be great for tailgating! Maybe some cup holders cut into the bench somewhere? Or you could find a way to use the bed rail system to mount a cup holder nearby.

6. May 11, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    jacobigindi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 5 lug AC
    hmmm thats a good idea. Well, where the bench is gunna sit right now, the front ent of the seat part will end right over the wheel wells, so they're in the perfect place to act as a little drink table or whatever. But now that i think about it, if i make little rings that can attach to the tie down cleats or something, it would be even better so i don't accidentally hit the drink with my leg.

7. May 12, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    jacobigindi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 5 lug AC
    I was also thinking of covering it in bed liner to match my bed somewhat. Does anyone know how well bedliner would stick to wood?

8. May 12, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    East Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Pre Runner SR5
    Tint. (DONE) Soon to come. 3in Llift (OME) Color matched grill (DONE) BHLM (DONE) Tail tint (DONE) Pro comp rims (8069) End goal: Murdered out truck
    I actually am really interested in this idea it seems awesome haha. Little off topic, has anyone ever seen a truck bed box for tools but instead of tools its just an igloo cooler inside? I feel like that would be a kick ass ice chest.

Edit: Answered my own question but for a legit one it looks to be about $1500 ha! NO

9. May 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    jacobigindi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 5 lug AC
    [​IMG]

Is it something like this?
    I guess if you just find a decent sized bed box that fits in your truck and a slightly smaller plastic lining or something, you might be able to spray some foam in the box and just stick the lining in there. idk how well it would insulate though.

10. May 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    East Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Pre Runner SR5
    Tint. (DONE) Soon to come. 3in Llift (OME) Color matched grill (DONE) BHLM (DONE) Tail tint (DONE) Pro comp rims (8069) End goal: Murdered out truck
    [​IMG]

Thats more the idea I had, if that was sold for a good price I would definetly pick it up for tail gates or beach trips.

OP get some pictures of the project along the way, love to see if it works out.

11. May 12, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    jacobigindi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 5 lug AC
    will do and that ice chest looks pretty gnarly. i guess you could just buy a normal bed box, line it with big sheets of paper, fill it with foam, put some plastic bins in it, let the foam dry, and because you put paper in there, you could theoretically pull out the bins and foam in one piece and store it somewhere if you just wanted to use it as a normal bed box. Pretty rough fix, but much cheaper :D
    plus, idk if it'll work for sure, I just thought of than right now, but I'm guessing that sprayable foam would be pretty great for any insulation jobs :confused:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/tundra-tailgater2.jpg
    or you could always get this tailgating beast:p

Products Discussed in

To Top