LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Toyotacrawler's M416 Resto!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Toyotacrawler's M416 Resto!

Found this 1964 M416 trailer that a neighbor was going to turn into a cattle trough and I figured I would save it.
This will be my first build thread so I'll try to keep you guys up to date on the progress I am making.
As of today I havent done anything other than inspect the condition of it.
The tub, fenders and frame are in pretty good condition.
The only issue I have found with major rust will be the bottom of the tub. It's still pretty solid but will need to be cut out and a new bottom welded in.
The goal is to completely restore the trailer back to it's original condition.
And so the journey begins!

When I got it home.

Dated 11/9/64

Right fender is in great shape, no dents or heavy rust at all.

Left fender is also in great shape!

The front of the tub has some Diamond Plate. Not sure when that was added but I don't think it came that way but the fact that it's painted over in camo is confusing. Could be military or civilian....

Lunette Ring is in great shape!

Somebody at some point cut the wiring harness. I'll have to find a new one.

This weekend I am going to try to disassemble and get some sand blasting done. Mainly on the frame is my goal. I'll worry about the tub, axle, brakes at a later date.
There are parts I need such as wiring harness, tail lights, and I believe it's missing a brake cylinder. I already have a line on some tail lights from a guy in Barnesville. Hopefully he has all the parts I need. (fingers crossed)
Anyway thanks for viewing!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Been searching all morning for a replacement floor with no luck. If anybody knows of a company that makes them please let me know. I might have to try to salvage the one that's on it if I can't find one. I could use a piece of sheet metal but would like to have the floor with ribs as it was from the factory. Thanks!

*Edit* Found out why I can't find anybody that makes them. Nobody does.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
FJ Cruiser
KEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kurt
KEG'sTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to KEG'sTACO
so much for coming to the Central AL Meet!

can't wait to see some progress.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG'sTACO View Post
so much for coming to the Central AL Meet!

can't wait to see some progress.
Haha yea. I got so many projects going on right now it's ridiculous. Grass needs mowing (woman's gonna take care of that tomorrow), gotta finish fencing in the back yard so the goats can't get out (to do that I gotta finish clearing out brush on the property line to get a fence through), Putting up a privacy fence for my mom at a duplex that she rents out and then trying to start work on the trailer. Heavy load of work this weekend.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
RoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to behold

RoyR's Tacoma Gallery
Well, it could actually look pretty cool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2497400...in/photostream
Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
She's got the jimmy legs

[QUOTE=EVILSTI;3364738]So you got it. Looks good. Remember when you are looking for parts search for M100 also and they do make floors. It's just going to cost you. If you want to restore it back with original 24v harness I have the one I took out of mine I might sell.

Floor and other things here.
http://www.midwestmilitary.net/trailerparts.html[/QUOTE]

I might have to take you up on that offer! Thanks for the link! My problem right now is finding time to work on it. I still haven't had a chance to pressure wash it to see exactly what I'm working with. (Hasn't rained in weeks and as I soon as I pulled the pressure washer out yesterday it stormed for 4 hours). I know I'm going to need a wiring harness and intervehicle cable for sure though.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
What do u plan on using it for? Looks cool but super heavy for its size
Old 07-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
What do u plan on using it for? Looks cool but super heavy for its size
Not really sure. Right now the plan is to restore it back to it's former glory. When I pulled it home I couldn't even tell it was behind the truck other than the hitch banging around. It's fairly easy to roll around by yourself when your on flat ground.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
She's got the jimmy legs

This past weekend I attempted to remove the body from the frame of the trailer but I have hit a snag. I removed all the bolts connecting the tub to the frame (most of the bolts sheared off). Problem is the tub will not release from the frame. I cannot understand why (other than rust maybe ) the tub will not come off. I've taken a prybar to the tub with no luck, beat the joints with a rubber mallet and still cannot get the tub off. Until I can get the tub off, the project is at a stand still.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
I've got the FUNK
dgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 91W - Medic
dgr540's Tacoma Gallery
i always wanted one of these old military trailers.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
She's got the jimmy legs

After some beating and banging yesterday I finally got the tub free from the frame.
My next step will be tearing down the frame, sandblasting it, and getting it ready to be primed.
Something I thought was cool....I sprayed some pb down the cables for the parking brake and found that it still works like a champ!

Here is the tub. I'm going to tackle it last after the frame is completely finished and ready for the tub to be mounted.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
RevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant future

Air Force: Master Sergeant
Name: Nathan
RevHard6's Tacoma Gallery
Looks to be in pretty decent shape. Also, looks like you found your question to the diamond plate. Looks like the original OD green under there.

I'm jealous :P been wanting one of the trailers for a while.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #17
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHard6 View Post
Looks to be in pretty decent shape. Also, looks like you found your question to the diamond plate. Looks like the original OD green under there.

I'm jealous :P been wanting one of the trailers for a while.
Yep, the diamond plate was definitely after market. I'll have to patch where they drilled the holes. No worries.
I'm amazed at how well the original OD green looks after knocking off the layers of rattle can paint. The original paint really helped keep the rust down on the frame and on the tub. I even found a #4 painted in white stencil on the frame. Thought that was pretty cool.

Stay tuned if you have been wanting one, more than likely a for sale sign will be slapped on it when I'm finished. It's taking up the Taco's parking spot in the garage.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring harness
Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #20
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
Thank you for that link! I will definitely need that! +1 for you good sir!