Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

My Ongoing Remodel Thread or possibly "My Descent into a Hellish Nightmare"

Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #41
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the drywalling progress on the fireplace. This is the second coat of mud, I think I will be able to get by with 3 coats, which is a first for me. And don't worry about the top, crown molding will cover everything.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #42
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #44
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm pretty tired after a long day of work but I will throw up these pictures:

Drywall complete on the fireplace:

Here is the main color of my man room, the chair rail and baseboard will be a tan color and the floor a dark brown wood laminate.

Here is one of the new light fixtures, we changed them all out today:

The old ones were polished brass, and while not necessarily ugly they didn't fit our house at all.

Here is my dad doing some trim work.

And finally some of our doors drying after a coat of paint:

We will have a completely finished half bathroom this time tomorrow and it is going to look amazing so get PUMPED for that.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #45
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #46
Ron F. Swanson

Alright got some updates! Here is the half bath, I said it would be complete but it is missing the mirror over the sink.

I installed a fan in the man room and also a simple chandelier in the foyer. Forgot to take a picture of the fan but here's the chandelier.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #47
toast is on a distinguished road
toast's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good man! PS - I bought the same entrance lock set, the deadbolt broke after 6 months. I just went and bought another, did the ole swap-a-roo and returned it. Pretty disappointing for a Schlage.

I've spent the last 2.5yrs redoing my house, we're about the same age. Lots of work!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #48
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSkynyrd View Post
Alright got some updates! Here is the half bath, I said it would be complete but it is missing the mirror over the sink.

I installed a fan in the man room and also a simple chandelier in the foyer. Forgot to take a picture of the fan but here's the chandelier.
nice - i like the beadboard in the bathroom! nice traditional/retro look
Old 02-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #49
Ron F. Swanson

Carpet is being installed as I type this. I'll post some pics of it tommorrow.

This is our move in weekend. We may not get everything moved by Sunday but we are definitely moving enough so that we can live there and the remaining miscellaneous items will get moved through next week/weekend.

We don't have a kitchen, but we will have a refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee maker and some tables set up to get us by until we get our kitchen around the end of March.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #50
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Carpet is being installed as I type this. I'll post some pics of it tommorrow.

This is our move in weekend. We may not get everything moved by Sunday but we are definitely moving enough so that we can live there and the remaining miscellaneous items will get moved through next week/weekend.

We don't have a kitchen, but we will have a refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee maker and some tables set up to get us by until we get our kitchen around the end of March.
I foresee alot of BBQ-ing in the mean time? A month is a long time without a complete kitchen lol
Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #51
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
We moved in roughly 9 months after we started our house. We have lived in it for roughly another 9 months and I might try to actually finish it this summer. It's amazing how my motivation to work on it came to a grinding halt after we moved in. In my defense though all I have left is to finish the front posts and put up the crown and lower valance on the cabinets.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #52
Ron F. Swanson

It's been forever since I've updated this, and rightfully so since there hasn't been too much happening on our remodel. I laid the laminate in the man room and now I need to put baseboards up in there. Don't have a completed photo but here it is in progress just to see the color:

Here is a shot of the living room complete with furniture, my wife's style is very "shabby chic", whatever that is.

Also, this weekend we will be picking up all of our kitchen cabinets from IKEA, I am not sure how long it will take me to assemble and install all of them but I figure a couple of weeks to get it done. Here is the mock up from my plans I made at IKEA.com:

I will update in a month or so with finished kitchen pictures and finished master bathroom pictures.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #53
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
That kitchen is going to be sick.

Those Ikes instructions are going to be hell.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #54
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery

Subb'ed, looks great so far!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #55
GTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GTechoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. Looks great. I grew up in Dalton, GA just outside of Chattanooga, went there a lot. I've also renovated a few houses over the years. Best of luck to you and can't wait to see it all finished.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #56
Ron F. Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTechoma View Post
Sub'd. Looks great. I grew up in Dalton, GA just outside of Chattanooga, went there a lot. I've also renovated a few houses over the years. Best of luck to you and can't wait to see it all finished.
Yep, drive through there all the time, my dad commuted to Dalton for 5 or 6 years when I was younger.

Update on the cabinets:

We ended up not driving to IKEA to pick up our cabinets because they have been running a sale where if you buy $4500 of cabinets/appliances/kitchen stuff you receive 20% off your order. Because of this, everyone was buying cabinets and we checked the Atlanta store's stock before we left and they were out of about half the cabinets we needed. So, we ordered over the phone using the design layout I created on IKEA's website and once all of our cabinets were available they would ship us our order.

I just barely cleared the $4500 mark so after the 20% off plus $250 for shipping it was ~$3900. I didn't mind the shipping charge because if I had picked it up myself I would have paid $325 in taxes AND loaded/unloaded it all myself, but since there is no IKEA in Tennessee we had no tax so that savings more than took care of the shipping!

One more thing: We were only charged $3020 for our cabinets! That was 3 weeks ago and our cabinets have been shipped to us already. I am still waiting for them to charge me the other $900 but it they don't it will be fine with me. We were quoted $12-14k for the same style and build cabinets by several cabinetry shops, so to only pay $3k for kitchen cabinets is blowing my mind.

We also picked out the granite we are going to use, it is giallo ornamental. Here's a shot of it in a kitchen that is VERY similar to ours:

We are buying the granite from a local distributor for $35 a sq. ft. installed, and we've got approx. 47 sq. ft of counter space for a very reasonable $1797 after tax. Does that picture look like a $5,000 kitchen?

Cabinets should be here by the end of the week, I will do an assembly and installation post once it's all done.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #57
Ron F. Swanson

Master bathroom vanities, lights, mirrors, and faucets installed.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #58
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Master bathroom vanities, lights, mirrors, and faucets installed.

wow, very classy looking looks similar to some of the photos in articles in home rennovation magazines i've seen..
Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #59
Ron F. Swanson

Well, the cabinets finally arrived this afternoon. Took me about 2 hours to go through all the boxes and we have everything except for 6 drawer dampers. They won't hold up the assembly and installation while they are shipped. Got one pantry frame and one 36 inch base cabinet frame assembled. I should be finished by the end of the week with the cabinets, I am guessing approximately a week to measure, cut, and install the granite countertops.

Sharp eyed Tacoma owners will notice something other than the boxes in this picture.

Here's the first two frames built.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #60
Ron F. Swanson

Kitchen cabinets are moving along. I've got all the frames built, and the pantry wall (by far the hardest to get right) is done. Appliances are coming in on Wednesday and hopefully I'll have the rest of the cabinets ready for their installation.