LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Attn: Wood workers...

Old 07-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Attn: Wood workers...

Has anyone made their own bed frame?? My Wife wants a new bed, and Im thinking of making it myself. The one she wants is here:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...eds-headboards

My concern is, our bed is a Cal. King, and Im wondering what/how many, kinds of supports Im going to want to have. Im thinking of using a hardwood of some kind (redwood possibly), and the corners are going to be 4x4's and the sides will be 2x10's. Do you think the 4x4's would be enough to hold the weight of the bed, me, my Wife, and 2 dogs? Any input is appriciated!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Ask OZ-T
Old 07-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
My only words of wisdom are I would rather build something and say that's never going to break vs wondering if it can support itself.

Its always better to over build than underbuild...
But being chris4x4 I'm sure you already knew that. Unless all you can do is make things go boom
Old 07-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
My only words of wisdom are I would rather build something and say that's never going to break vs wondering if it can support itself.

Its always better to over build than underbuild...
But being chris4x4 I'm sure you already knew that. Unless all you can do is make things go boom
I plan on over building it to a degree. BUT.....The Wife wants it to look good too.....So, I cant use 36 4x4 posts to support it. Idealy, she wants only the 4 corners to support it, but I dont think thats enough.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
toysrgood is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Paul
toysrgood's Tacoma Gallery
My dad made his bed and my bunkbed years ago.

He used 4x4s for both and I believe 2x8s for the head to toe and side to side boards. Seems real solid for is queen size with box spring.

He is currently making a 4 post bed, with a crown I guess you could call it, but im not sure what he is using or what size it is.

I know he lathes designs into his posts much like a kitchen table would have and it is still very sturdy.

If you are still interested next saturday I will be at his house, shoot me a PM and I can snap some pics with dimensions and all.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysrgood View Post
My dad made his bed and my bunkbed years ago.

He used 4x4s for both and I believe 2x8s for the head to toe and side to side boards. Seems real solid for is queen size with box spring.

He is currently making a 4 post bed, with a crown I guess you could call it, but im not sure what he is using or what size it is.

I know he lathes designs into his posts much like a kitchen table would have and it is still very sturdy.

If you are still interested next saturday I will be at his house, shoot me a PM and I can snap some pics with dimensions and all.
Well...Im more concerned with how many supporting peices I would need. A Queen bed is significantly smaller than ours, but pics couldnt hurt. Post them up in this thread if you like.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Do you plan on making one that you can unassemble and move easily, or do you want one thats never leaving your bedroom?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Ask OZ-T
I belive He only works with Canadian wood. American Red wood is TOTALLY different....
Old 07-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
Do you plan on making one that you can unassemble and move easily, or do you want one thats never leaving your bedroom?
Well......being as we want to move in the next couple years, it would be nice to have one that can be disassembled....rather than removing a wall from the house.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Well......being as we want to move in the next couple years, it would be nice to have one that can be disassembled....rather than removing a wall from the house.
4x4's at the posts and 2x6's with support blocks will hold a lot of weight. Using strong bedrail hangers at the corners will allow for easier moving. Some people like using a plywood bottom, or some like using 2x4's on the support blocks.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I plan on over building it to a degree. BUT.....The Wife wants it to look good too.....So, I cant use 36 4x4 posts to support it. Idealy, she wants only the 4 corners to support it, but I dont think thats enough.
4x4s at each corner, 2x10s as the frame and cross supports. Then Another 2x10 running down the middle of the lenght of the bed with a 4x4 in the middle as a support sounds like a decent design to me
Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #12

Quote:
4x4's at the posts and 2x6's with support blocks will hold a lot of weight. Using strong bedrail hangers at the corners will allow for easier moving. Some people like using a plywood bottom, or some like using 2x4's on the support blocks.
Ive been thinking about those. Just saw them online.

Quote:
4x4s at each corner, 2x10s as the frame and cross supports. Then Another 2x10 running down the middle of the lenght of the bed with a 4x4 in the middle as a support sounds like a decent design to me
I like this idea!
Old 07-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Look into some knock down bed hardware

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,40842&p=41269
Old 07-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #14
First Class White Trash

achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ive been thinking about those. Just saw them online.

I like this idea!

I don't see how you could go wrong with that. It would actually look presentable too.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
XXXXL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Look into some knock down bed hardware

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...,40842&p=41269
Sweet link, those parts are hard to find!
Old 07-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #16
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sweet link, those parts are hard to find!
Lee Valley tools is awesome , they have everything you might ever need for woodworking
Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
I made the boys bunk beds when they were little....

4x4's for corner posts, 2x10's for sides with 2x4's attached to support 3/4 plywood for bottom. Ends were 1x6 to attach the 4x4's together (4x4's notched out for the 1x6's). You could use the same, just put extra support in the middle. Ends were glued and the sides attached with 1/2" bolts.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #19
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
heres what you need to do make a box of 2x10's and do the 4x4's as the post and fill the box you made of 2x10's with cement and then put the mattress on top of the cement after it cures

it will most defently hold you, the bed, your wife, the dogs, and the taco if you want
Old 07-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #20
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
my dad has a king size bed that is specialty made and it has the middle slat with a 4x4 in the middle to support the weight, hes also a heavy man