1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who owns a generator?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Zombie Runner, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Sep 30, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner [OP] Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    What brand/size? what do you use it for?

Im looking at getting at either a troy built or a briggs and strat locally. both are right at 5000w with like a 6500w surge. I would like to have one to use at the house in case we have any power outages this winter to be able to power our central gas heater, TV, and lights.

briggs and strat
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07133147000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

troy built
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_310444-348-30446_4294857298+4294965774_4294937087_?productId=3032394&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_TroyBilt_4294857298%2B4294965774_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=Troy-Bilt

2. Sep 30, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    3500 watt honda generator

i use it to power my A/C in my camper and other misc stuff like radio, lights, etc

3. Sep 30, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I'm also in the market. I'm wondering if they make a propane powered one so that it could safely be stored and used indoors during the cold winter months. I've done a little research, but not much so far.

4. Sep 30, 2011 at 7:04 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    ive seen ones that can run on gas OR propane. I think they were pretty high though.

5. Sep 30, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    those are generally standby systems which either kick on automatically or user turned on. I am looking as well with our recent outage due to Hurricane Irene. Since we moved to the new house we have lost power more times in a year and a half than I did in 8 years at our old place. Need to protect the kiddos in the winter.
    Its a big investment for us but in the long run, a good piece of mind. I just need to keep the furnace, fridge and a few outlets running, and maybe 1 of our 2 central air units for the summer.

6. Sep 30, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    cjurgens91

cjurgens91 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    San Antonio and Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    3000 watt John Deere Honda Motor we bought before Ike we use it to give power out by the barn and to run the air compressor when spray the fence that runs along our property.. starts in one pull every time

7. Sep 30, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    cjurgens91

cjurgens91 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    San Antonio and Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    OP if you live near Houston theres a place called Fosters off of 290 toward Brenham that has some pretty good deals on generators

8. Sep 30, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Go with honda they make really good generators my uses one for work everyday and he bought 2 years ago and hasn't crapped out on him yet

9. Sep 30, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Subbing...really need to get one before next hurricane season. I have a rottie that can't do without A/C : )

I've been told 5,000 should sufficiently power a window unit and the refrigerator.

10. Sep 30, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    I don't have any input on generator usage, but those two are the same. The troy-built is just branded so for Lowes and is painted different. Both have the same Briggs engine.

11. Sep 30, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    elicitone

elicitone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Have a 12HP Yanmar diesel generator. In the process of wiring a pony panel to the garage to allow it to run the house in the event of a power outage.

12. Sep 30, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    mmmm diesel fumes
    :drool:

13. Sep 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    SuperTacoma

SuperTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Silver
    3500 W Champion with B&S motor
    Works well for me.

14. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    friction

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Do you think 3,500 would handle a small window AC unit?

15. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Look at the sticker on the unit multiply the amps times the voltage (120) that will give you watts. 3500 watts will give you close to 29 amps total. Yes it should run a window A/C fine.

16. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    friction

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Thank you sir! Good to know...I'm ignorant on all things electrical.

17. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    You would be surprised what I run from a 3000 Honda generator. I can run a LARGE AC on the motorhome with everything I have going at once, but the mocrowave sure puts a strain on it at the same time, but it will still do it, if it overloads it just pops the breaker which I havent done yet.

More than enough for what your doing..and it is SUPER quiet and sips fuel like a hummingbird.

18. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    friction

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5

Thank ye! Sounds like I can save a few bones with a smaller generator. I don't even care about lighting, mainly just not having rotting food (fridge) or a hyperventilating doggie. :D

Sorry OP, I did not intend to jack your thread.

19. Sep 30, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    do all the john deers have honda motors?
    about 6 hours away from houston. TX is retarded big! haha

good catch :) Ive got a lowes card with 0% interest too:D

My dad runs a giant diesel genny/welder for his work. I need to talk to him about hooking it up to his house for a "just in case".

its all good. I know hardly anything about gennys so I need all the help I can get.

Ive heard great things about the honda's but I dont think we have a vendor around here that sells them and they are probably out of my price range.

20. Sep 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    I have recently been doing research on generators myself; I have used them in the past for work and home in Maine. So that’s where my exp comes from along with talking with a lot of chicken farmers in the local area to see what manufacturers machines work the best and last. Chicken farms must always have power for feeders/waterier/cooling/lighting etc so I put a bit more faith in what these gentlemen tell me since they have no interest in what brand or model I purchase. That being said they also are running MONSTER generators most of the time 15kw to one guy with 4 100,000 plus bird houses that has a 30KW.

Thus far Honda is the far and away leader in both personal recommendations’ and third party tests. Generac also comes recommended but only the professional portable models the home owner portables are ok as I understand it but if you want to power things 24hrs a day for a few days apparently they have a tendency to burn up.

As for portable or permanent mount I would go with portable as it has more uses then a permanent one you can pick it up and take it to help a friend, build something far away from outlets or you want power a party after a trail run. And if you have an RV or live in a flood area your permanent mount drowns with the house. If its portable you can bail out and take it with you to a friends home on higher ground that might not have power but you don’t need your swim fins to get to.

Fuel types all have their pros and con’s
    LP
    Pros
    LP stable, no fuel deterioration of fuel.
    Quiet 65 to 71 db’s
    No lifting and filling of tank etc

Cons
    LP not readily avail in a emergency unless you have a 500 gal Perm tank ( Ice storm here back 8 years ago nothing moved for 3 days plus a lot of folks ran dry on LP using it to heat via stove and such).
    System must be checked every year for line dry rot , regulator operation, nozzle blockage etc not something a common home owner can do.
    Higher fuel usage to make the same power as you can get from a gas or diesel model

Diesel
    Pros
    Fuel readily available multi types including the kit to burn used cooking oil or engine oil etc.
    Most preseason maint usage can be done by home owner.
    Lowest fuel usage per watt hour supplied

Cons
    Costly
    Fuel must be treated to prevent bacteria and water infiltration and smells a bit when running, fuel storage space.
    Db rating higher then Lp but lower then gas units
    Filling tank can be messy etc

Gas
    Pros
    Less expensive then LP or Diesel
    Easiest for homeowner to maintain
    Easier to get repair parts

Cons
    Fuel must be treated to prevent it going flat fuel storage space
    Smell is more tolerable then diesel
    Db ratings are generally higher then diesel
    Filling tank can be messy etc

The above is all general info from research and personal usage.

Think of what you want to do with the unit ?
    Make sure it has the right outlets 120/240 and the right amperage on those outlets.
    Wattage ratings are figured as stated before volts x amps = wattage however, you have to account for initial start wattage needed IE Ac unit may need 3.1Kw to run but its initial start wattage draw may be 4kw. This applies to anything with motors Furnace, water pump, Heat Pump, electric water heaters usually demand very high wattage and are generally not recommended for connection to a generator. Unless you want to purchase 10kw or higher generator. If you’re running a lot of sensitive electronics units come with inverters built in to protect them. Though you can accomplish this with an uninterruptible power supply attached to your computer, TV, game systems etc.

Who will be operating it?
    Electric Start, automatic or manual pull start?
    Remember you may not be home when it is needed can your significant other, child or Elderly parent etc operate it? If you go electric start get a battery tender. Hardwired to your home or connected to via cord the cords are pricey depending on the length needed.

Fuel can your significant other, child or Elderly parent etc put fuel in if it’s a diesel or gas unit and your not there?
    The unit’s fuel consumption is generally given at half wattage load this becomes and issue if you plan on running it for extended periods at full wattage rating.
    You will also need to plan for installing the transfer switch at your Circuit breaker box how many circuits you need the switches are pricey the more circuits you want.

Where are you going to put the unit and the outlet to connect to the house?
    Out in the country side having a unit in full view of people driving by may be an issue. Generators in emergencies have a tendency to disappear. The outlet is a dead giveaway you have one on the property. Before someone chimes in with that happens only in the city. I know for a fact up in north east Maine where I am from theft of generators occur, mostly in the winter but pretty much year round.

Noise level of unit in proximity to your home or neighbors may be an issue.

Will you remember to test it once a month or do you want an automatic test feature.

These are some of the things you want to think about before you make your purchase.

My plan honda 5500 $2300 or Generac XGE 6500 $1350 , electrical work about $850 with 6 circuit transfer switch included. since I have two garages one connected to the house and one separate. Put an outlet inside the big garage next to the generator. Run a hard line from it to the other garage to the transfer switch next to the CB panel. Then use a short cable to connect the generator. No one see’s the generator and sound is muffled with a powered intake and exhaust vents no fume build up etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top