Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

FJ Cruiser T-Case Install in 2007 Tacoma 6-Speed Manual

Old 09-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #61
BIGchar33597 is on a distinguished road

Army: Infantry 11C / 2-14 10th MTN DIV
Name: char
BIGchar33597's Tacoma Gallery
OK my question is...Have you figured out to bypass the front diff actuator to work with that???B/C that's the problem I'm having with mine, the T-case is working just not the front diff actuator (I have taken it apart and cleaned it just didn't do the grease or hose so it stop working again)...Also if have answered this question just point me in the right area thank you...
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #62
BIGchar33597 is on a distinguished road

Army: Infantry 11C / 2-14 10th MTN DIV
Name: char
BIGchar33597's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Just keep it locked, unbolt it and manually push it over. You might suffer some gas mileage loss but never have to worry about it failing again
Thought about that...
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #63
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Subbed for when I get me a second gen
Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #64
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
One thing I don't quite follow, I would like AWD on my Tacoma...Since the FJ AWD box is a little longer, all I would need to do is get different length drive shafts? I have a manual so as I read it, the splines would match. Obviously some electrical stuff would be needed, but mechanically, V6 6spd->AWD FJ transfer case->modified drive shafts would work right?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #65
smittyt2k6 is on a distinguished road
smittyt2k6's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, with a modified driveshaft the AWD transfer case will swap in as long as you match the spline from the 6sp.

Something to think about though... your tacomas front end was not designed to be spinning all the time, especially at highway speeds for a long duration. You will obviously see a lot more ware on the area and I'm sure your gas milage will plummet.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #66
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyt2k6 View Post
Yes, with a modified driveshaft the AWD transfer case will swap in as long as you match the spline from the 6sp.

Something to think about though... your tacomas front end was not designed to be spinning all the time, especially at highway speeds for a long duration. You will obviously see a lot more ware on the area and I'm sure your gas milage will plummet.
Wouldn't the spline already match though? The AWD box matches to the FJ 6 spd from the factory....unless the Tacoma 6spd is different?

The gas mileage issue has been proven incorrect. The FJ80 guys though the same thing so they made part time kits, when the from was disabled there was no measurable difference in economy.

As far as durability, I believe the FJ auto and FJ 6spd have a basically identical front axle as the Tacoma, with no increased wear. Most everything is already spinning anyways (just without load) when in 2wd.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #67
tacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud of
tacoma4's Tacoma Gallery
So I'm thinking of doing this to my truck but I've got some questions:

1. It seems like the transfer cases are all the same on Tacomas, so this will bolt up to my 5 speed manual, 4 cylinder just like the 6 speed? I will just have to swap the gear sets between the AT transfer case and mine?

2. On the RST page, he says if you aren't using a crawl box, you need to twin stick it to have room for the sticks in the cab. But it looks like you didn't do that. Is there room for the J-shift single stick to move around in the cab? Is this because you are manual trans and not the auto?

3. I have the bench seat, has anyone done this as a single stick and seen if the seat causes any issue?

Thanks for the writeup, hope to try this over xmas is if works out!

Products Discussed in this Thread