Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Trying to get the windows out of a SnugTop camper shell

Old 10-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
MeAndyD is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
MeAndyD's Tacoma Gallery
Trying to get the windows out of a SnugTop camper shell

I picked up a great camper shell at a great price on craigslist.

It's silver, my truck is magnetic grey.....

Time to repaint. Found a reputable body shop to shoot it for what I think is a fair price. The catch is he won't warranty the paint job if he tapes off of the windows, he want's them out, as do I. Painting the shell without the glass and frame is going to make for a much better product for sure.

The rear window came out smoothly after drilling out 2 rivets and removing about a dozen screws. It went back in just as easily.

The side window was a different story. It has to be glued in. It may be that our Texas heat and crippling drought has made a special bond between the foam seal and the painted fiberglass, the b$%#h wasn't coming out without me messing something up.

Has anyone here disassembled a snugtop camper shell, or any shell for that matter?

Any tips for getting this thing apart?

Anyone want to buy a silver camper shell?

Thanks in advance for your time and tips!
Andy
Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
stattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant future
Name: Statton
stattonmw's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever get this figured out? Just curious as I am now in the same boat lol
Old 11-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
MeAndyD is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
MeAndyD's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, it's still silver. I gave it a good try and decided I'd just save the $300.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
stattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant future
Name: Statton
stattonmw's Tacoma Gallery
ya... I was able to get the back window, front window, and two kickout windows removed but like you said no f'ing way where the main large ones coming out. The body shop I am taking mine to said they wont have any issues masking it off and will warranty it for the lifetime that I own it!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
over-worked & under-paid
Black Stallion is on a distinguished road
Navy: AMS-2, 114th Fighter Squadron
Name: Paul
Black Stallion's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine out with a couple of rocks. Kind of messy to clean up, but fast!