1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Garage Door Opener

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by ImpulseRed008, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Oct 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 [OP] Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Please HELP!!!

Anyone know why my garage door opener won't close my garage door? It opens fine, but won't close it. The screw and hinges have been lubed. Door opens/closes FINE when it's warm out. But when the weather is cool/cold door will open, but not close. Door will only move a couple of inches and then retract to where it started. It has done this for several years - just never had a vehicle in there where I wanted/needed to open and close it on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

2. Oct 30, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    How do I do that? Have never messed with a garage door before :eek:

3. Oct 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Do you have the manual?? There is probably some small knobs on the back or side-might require a screwdriver....and they will make the opener push harder before it backs up

4. Oct 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    armstrsm

armstrsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Little Rock, AR
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4 SR5 TRd OffRoad
    AVS Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Locks On Bed storage, Weathertech floor liners, Access roll up tonneau, Dual Head unit, illuminated 4x4 switch, Devil Horns
    Ha, I have had the same problem.. Turns out during a certain time of the year and day i can open the Garage door but it won't close. I found that the sun must have been at the right angle and was blinding the infrared sensor. So i had to stand between the sun and the sensor to get it to close.

5. Oct 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Susan, check the sensors on the sides of the opening at the bottom. They need to be looking across the opening and straight at each other. The only other thing I can think of is the door itself is hanging up on the tracks and it thinks it has hit something and returns back up. I'm not sure how to adjust the closing force, but you might be able to find out how by googling the brand of opener you have.

6. Oct 30, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Don't think I have one... I"ll check on line. So why will it work when it's warm out, but not when it's cold?

I wish that was the issue. My "issue" is the temperature.

sensors are fine - green light :thumbsup:

7. Oct 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Sounds like the 'Electric eye' sensors (1 of 2 safety reverse features) are working as intended, and like the resistance safety reverse feature (2nd of the two reverse features) needs adjusting.

What kind of opener is it?

Regardless, look for little adjustment knobs on it that you would adjust with a flathead screwdriver. (There may be two pairs in differing locations, such as side and top, or undera hinged front plastic hood, depending on the type opener)

You are trying to decrease the downforce.

There will usually be arrows that get point in a rounder direction around the knobs, either in a 'increasing' or decreasing' direction, with a small diagram showing whether that knob applies to the upward or downward movement of the door.

When in doubt, mark the present locations of each knob so you can return the knob to that setting if need be.

When you determine the right knob to decrease the downward force, try it at half a turn and try the opertaion. If you need to go an addiitonal 1/4 turn, try that.

8. Oct 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    It's a Genie Pro Screw Drive opener 9 1/2 years old

9. Oct 30, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    WNYTACOMA

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I think those have the square-ish dark metal case?

Look on the lower side of the case for a pair of holes and shine a light in them. I think that is where the adjustment knobs are on that type opener.

Pretty sure the adjustment knobs are accessible without opening / removing the outer 'shell' on those.

10. Oct 30, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I just googled your issue and it sounds like either the limit switch contacts need to be cleaned or the circuit board needs to be changed. The cost of the board was cheap.

11. Oct 30, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    I'll look tomorrow... too depressed tonight.... Taco has to sleep outside :(

:eek: thanks... been looking as well.... just can't figure out why it worked yesterday when it was warm and not today when it's colder.

12. Oct 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Have you ever lubed the screw? A little goes a long way. I have two Sears screw drive openers. I have to do maintenance on them twice a year, usually in the fall and spring.

You might want to take the entire shroud off of the drive assembly. If the main drive gears are nylon they could be worn out. The gears on my original chain drive opener gave out after 15 years of service.

13. Oct 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Yup, lubed it tonight. Usually lube it once or twice a year.

The issue is the cold... don't know what, just that it doesn't work when it's cold out. Done this the last three years.

14. Oct 30, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I also have to lube the frame that guides the pull arm on my older screw drive, which is 13 YO at this point.

15. Oct 31, 2011 at 5:03 AM
    WNYTACOMA

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    Is it a metal or wood door?

If everything is lubed as per regular maintenance, i would make a modest adjustment to the downforce and see if that takes care of it.

The change in performance due to the temp change makes me lean that way.

Products Discussed in

To Top