Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Garage Door Opener

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ImpulseRed008's Avatar
Air Force:
Name: Susan
Joined: Sep 2008, #9104
Location: SC
Gender: Girl
Posts: 39,327
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Garage Door Opener

Please HELP!!!

Anyone know why my garage door opener won't close my garage door? It opens fine, but won't close it. The screw and hinges have been lubed. Door opens/closes FINE when it's warm out. But when the weather is cool/cold door will open, but not close. Door will only move a couple of inches and then retract to where it started. It has done this for several years - just never had a vehicle in there where I wanted/needed to open and close it on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance if you can help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
Joined: Dec 2009, #27905
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Age: 30
Gender: Dude
Posts: 35,565
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Adjust the closing force.

posted via
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ImpulseRed008's Avatar
Air Force:
Name: Susan
Joined: Sep 2008, #9104
Location: SC
Gender: Girl
Posts: 39,327
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Adjust the closing force.

posted via
How do I do that? Have never messed with a garage door before
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
armstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
armstrsm's Avatar
Air Force: Aviator...Four Fans Of Freedom
Name: Sean
Joined: Aug 2007, #2450
Location: Little Rock, AR
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 246
armstrsm's Tacoma Gallery
Ha, I have had the same problem.. Turns out during a certain time of the year and day i can open the Garage door but it won't close. I found that the sun must have been at the right angle and was blinding the infrared sensor. So i had to stand between the sun and the sensor to get it to close.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
oldtacomaguy's Avatar
Name: Dave
Joined: Dec 2006, #444
Location: SE Conn.
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,654
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Susan, check the sensors on the sides of the opening at the bottom. They need to be looking across the opening and straight at each other. The only other thing I can think of is the door itself is hanging up on the tracks and it thinks it has hit something and returns back up. I'm not sure how to adjust the closing force, but you might be able to find out how by googling the brand of opener you have.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ImpulseRed008's Avatar
Air Force:
Name: Susan
Joined: Sep 2008, #9104
Location: SC
Gender: Girl
Posts: 39,327
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Do you have the manual?? There is probably some small knobs on the back or side-might require a screwdriver....and they will make the opener push harder before it backs up
Don't think I have one... I"ll check on line. So why will it work when it's warm out, but not when it's cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrsm View Post
Ha, I have had the same problem.. Turns out during a certain time of the year and day i can open the Garage door but it won't close. I found that the sun must have been at the right angle and was blinding the infrared sensor. So i had to stand between the sun and the sensor to get it to close.
I wish that was the issue. My "issue" is the temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
Susan, check the sensors on the sides of the opening at the bottom. They need to be looking across the opening and straight at each other. The only other thing I can think of is the door itself is hanging up on the tracks and it thinks it has hit something and returns back up. I'm not sure how to adjust the closing force, but you might be able to find out how by googling the brand of opener you have.
sensors are fine - green light
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Nov 2008, #10961
Location: Clarence, New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,329
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Don't think I have one... I"ll check on line. So why will it work when it's warm out, but not when it's cold?



I wish that was the issue. My "issue" is the temperature.



sensors are fine - green light
Sounds like the 'Electric eye' sensors (1 of 2 safety reverse features) are working as intended, and like the resistance safety reverse feature (2nd of the two reverse features) needs adjusting.

What kind of opener is it?

Regardless, look for little adjustment knobs on it that you would adjust with a flathead screwdriver. (There may be two pairs in differing locations, such as side and top, or undera hinged front plastic hood, depending on the type opener)

You are trying to decrease the downforce.

There will usually be arrows that get point in a rounder direction around the knobs, either in a 'increasing' or decreasing' direction, with a small diagram showing whether that knob applies to the upward or downward movement of the door.

When in doubt, mark the present locations of each knob so you can return the knob to that setting if need be.

When you determine the right knob to decrease the downward force, try it at half a turn and try the opertaion. If you need to go an addiitonal 1/4 turn, try that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ImpulseRed008's Avatar
Air Force:
Name: Susan
Joined: Sep 2008, #9104
Location: SC
Gender: Girl
Posts: 39,327
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Sounds like the 'Electric eye' sensors (1 of 2 safety reverse features) are working as intended, and like the resistance safety reverse feature (2nd of the two reverse features) needs adjusting.

What kind of opener is it?

Regardless, look for little adjustment knobs on it that you would adjust with a flathead screwdriver. (There may be two pairs in differing locations, such as side and top, or undera hinged front plastic hood, depending on the type opener)

You are trying to decrease the downforce.

There will usually be arrows that get point in a rounder direction around the knobs, either in a 'increasing' or decreasing' direction, with a small diagram showing whether that knob applies to the upward or downward movement of the door.

When in doubt, mark the present locations of each knob so you can return the knob to that setting if need be.

When you determine the right knob to decrease the downward force, try it at half a turn and try the opertaion. If you need to go an addiitonal 1/4 turn, try that.
It's a Genie Pro Screw Drive opener 9 1/2 years old
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Nov 2008, #10961
Location: Clarence, New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,329
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
It's a Genie Pro Screw Drive opener 9 1/2 years old
I think those have the square-ish dark metal case?

Look on the lower side of the case for a pair of holes and shine a light in them. I think that is where the adjustment knobs are on that type opener.

Pretty sure the adjustment knobs are accessible without opening / removing the outer 'shell' on those.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
dexterdog's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2009, #19571
Location: Oly WA
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,387
dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I just googled your issue and it sounds like either the limit switch contacts need to be cleaned or the circuit board needs to be changed. The cost of the board was cheap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ImpulseRed008's Avatar
Air Force:
Name: Susan
Joined: Sep 2008, #9104
Location: SC
Gender: Girl
Posts: 39,327
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
I think those have the square-ish dark metal case?

Look on the lower side of the case for a pair of holes and shine a light in them. I think that is where the adjustment knobs are on that type opener.

Pretty sure the adjustment knobs are accessible without opening / removing the outer 'shell' on those.
I'll look tomorrow... too depressed tonight.... Taco has to sleep outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
I just googled your issue and it sounds like either the limit switch contacts need to be cleaned or the circuit board needs to be changed. The cost of the board was cheap.
thanks... been looking as well.... just can't figure out why it worked yesterday when it was warm and not today when it's colder.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
95SLE's Avatar
Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
Joined: Aug 2009, #20718
Location: Maryland
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,175
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever lubed the screw? A little goes a long way. I have two Sears screw drive openers. I have to do maintenance on them twice a year, usually in the fall and spring.

You might want to take the entire shroud off of the drive assembly. If the main drive gears are nylon they could be worn out. The gears on my original chain drive opener gave out after 15 years of service.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ImpulseRed008's Avatar
Air Force:
Name: Susan
Joined: Sep 2008, #9104
Location: SC
Gender: Girl
Posts: 39,327
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Have you ever lubed the screw? A little goes a long way. I have two Sears screw drive openers. I have to do maintenance on them twice a year, usually in the fall and spring.

You might want to take the entire shroud off of the drive assembly. If the main drive gears are nylon they could be worn out. The gears on my original chain drive opener gave out after 15 years of service.
Yup, lubed it tonight. Usually lube it once or twice a year.

The issue is the cold... don't know what, just that it doesn't work when it's cold out. Done this the last three years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:03 AM   #16
Senior Member
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Nov 2008, #10961
Location: Clarence, New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,329
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Yup, lubed it tonight. Usually lube it once or twice a year.

The issue is the cold... don't know what, just that it doesn't work when it's cold out. Done this the last three years.
Is it a metal or wood door?

If everything is lubed as per regular maintenance, i would make a modest adjustment to the downforce and see if that takes care of it.

The change in performance due to the temp change makes me lean that way.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
garage door opener audi2000 2nd Gen. Tacomas 6 06-24-2009 02:55 PM
Garage door opener help??? off road yota Off-Topic Discussion 3 04-10-2009 06:15 PM
Garage door opener box use ? george3 2nd Gen. Tacomas 5 03-08-2009 10:31 AM
DIY Garage Door Opener bpiersma 1st Gen. Tacomas 2 02-14-2009 04:36 AM
Garage Door Opener ProtoJ 2nd Gen. Tacomas 21 01-30-2009 08:21 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.