LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Air Compressor

Old 11-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Air Compressor

Forgive my ignorance, but i have some "noob questions" about air compressors.

I want to just get one simply to air up my tires on my truck, bike, etc...

What size gallon is appropriate, and any reccomended brands.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
I have had good luck with craftsman. Wont need that big of tank if just for tires and such. You need the size for high capacity air tools
Old 11-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery

subbed...
Old 11-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of people like the Q Industries MV50, which **I THINK** can even be mounted under your hood depending on how much space you've left yourself. It's not the most compact but it's well made.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...essor-wtf.html

For a simple 12V option, I wouldn't spend more than $75. Some are better made and some are faster, but for most purposes around our trucks, just read a few reviews and go with your gut.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
if that's all you want to do, you could buy a pretty small/cheap compressor. a 3 or 5 gallon tank would probably be sufficient. even a 12 volt compressor would inflate your tires in a few minutes each.

like anything else, you get what you pay for. you can pay a lot or a little depending on your needs. higher cfm compressors will flow more air and inflate faster. i would stay away from oilless compressors, they are generally alot louder than oiled ones.

i didn't want to spend alot of money on a compressor and got mine at harbor freight. i spent about $120 and expected it to last for a year or two. five years later it's still going strong. it's very similar to this one here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-h...sor-67708.html

i've used it to run an air nailer, and an impact impact guns. works good. other air tools need greater cfm and it probably wouldn't work as well for, say an air chisel.

so my advice, if you think you ever might want to run air tools off your compressor, i would go ahead and spend a little extra money now and get maybe a 10 or 20 gallon tank, with say a cfm rating of at least 5 cfm at 90psi. sears craftsman has a decent selection, but you can also buy decent ones at HD and Lowes too.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Just found this too, side by side comparison of several models.

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi...flatormain.htm
Old 11-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Goldstar225 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tom
Goldstar225's Tacoma Gallery
I had similiar needs and bought a craftsman with a 5 gallon tank last year. It's worked fine, doesn't leak down. You will want to get rid of the cheap assed PVC hose and get a rubber air hose (Sears sells a 50' for $40.00, well worth it). The air supply is plentiful for airing up tires, blowing off my work bench and running my nail gun.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but i have some "noob questions" about air compressors.

I want to just get one simply to air up my tires on my truck, bike, etc...

What size gallon is appropriate, and any reccomended brands.

Thanks
This is two samples of what you want to get... they clip onto the battery directly and pump up a truck tire at the rate of 5-6 psi per minute. If you go with the pumps that plug into a cigarette lighter outlet, then they take 3 times longer to fill a tire (2 psi per minute). The ones pictured here cost between $49 and $79.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
You can kill 2 bird with 1 stone, get a train horn set up so you can have a cool horn AND inflate tires and what not. Theirs different kinds of set ups with 2-8 gallon tanks with its own compressor.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
I have the one in the second picture David K posted. Got it at pepboys. Love it. Works great.

x2, used it quite a few times.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
i have the one (MV-50 12volt HD air compressor) that Davidk posted (2nd pic) for nearly 3 years now. it works well for what it is and certainly a lot cheaper then it's more expensive counter part made by Viair or ARB. you can find em at Pep Boys for around 70 bucks or cheaper online. there's a lot of info for that compressor if you google it. since i got tired of always unpacking it and repacking it from it's carrying case i have modified mine to hard mount into my engine compartment

Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
I think i found one;

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

What i'm looking to do is mainly just use it to inflate various tires, and blow shit off.

Will 3 gal/this model be good enough for my needs?

overkill/underkill?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think i found one;

What i'm looking to do is mainly just use it to inflate various tires, and blow shit off.

overkill/underkill?

Fine for in your garage... 'electric' in this case means 110v, I do believe... and your outlet in the bed won't have enough amps, I don't think.

If you want a pump that works very fast compared to cheaper units, but is under $80, and runs off the car battery... then we have told you what works.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #16

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
i have the one (MV-50 12volt HD air compressor) that Davidk posted (2nd pic) for nearly 3 years now. it works well for what it is and certainly a lot cheaper then it's more expensive counter part made by Viair or ARB. you can find em at Pep Boys for around 70 bucks or cheaper online. there's a lot of info for that compressor if you google it. since i got tired of always unpacking it and repacking it from it's carrying case i have modified mine to hard mount into my engine compartment

Nice... how did you connect it to the battery... and do you think an extra bag around it to keep it cleaner may be worth doing? Looks like you use the Tacoma to get dirty, as I do!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Nice... how did you connect it to the battery... and do you think an extra bag around it to keep it cleaner may be worth doing? Looks like you use the Tacoma to get dirty, as I do!
i have a AUX ACC fuse box that i installed in the engine compartment to help accommodate the rest of my electronic crap lol. i re-wired the compressor my way, and it's hooked up the the AUX fuse box.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #18
Goldstar225 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tom
Goldstar225's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think i found one;

overkill/underkill?
I just bought one of those a week ago for a wood project in my shop (I got tired of lugging my five gallon craftsman back and forth). Got it for $65.00 on sale. So far it's worked fine and for your needs (airing up tires occasionally) it should be adequate. The supplied coiled hose doesn't have a lot of reach but it's better than what came with my craftsman. You could always upgrade with the 50' craftsman hose that only costs $40.00.

Products Discussed in this Thread