1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hanging Cabinets and Laying Tile

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by nomad_archer, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 12, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you're short, you'd cut a filler panel to make up the difference.

2. Dec 12, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Your layout will be easy. Cabinets are made to specific widths like 36", 39" etc. unless you're using a true custom cabinet maker. If you need to make up an inch or so in spots they will add a filler to the cabinet or send filler pieces. I had to put fillers in for dead corners and in a couple of other corners so I didn't have drawers hitting each other.

3. Dec 12, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    No problem here. I like the discussion around this. Plus I figure I will have cabinets on 3 out of 4 walls so hanging the cabinets will take me a long time.

Learning to lay tile for the first time sounds like it will be fun as well. Although I love the rewarding feeling when its all done

4. Dec 12, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Just at a glance , I would say you have lots of play in measurments as you will need to space the fridge off the wall beside it otherwise the door will not open past 90* and you wont be able to pull out the crisper drawers with the door open .

Ask me how I learned this :anonymous:

5. Dec 12, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    When were you planning on hanging them? If you go half on gas with me and buy me some dinner, I might be able to come up there and give you a hand hanging them. It's only about 1.5 hour drive to Chattanooga from my house.

6. Dec 12, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    That is a great point...I'm glad you learned it and not me. I will say the island will be offset from the center in order to open the oven all the way, but as far as the refrigerator door I guess we'll have to push the island back towards the window (the top of the sketch) to make sure we can open it.

That is an amazing offer and if I was doing this by myself I would take you up on it but I have two brothers in law, one father, one father in law and a grandfather in law that are handy and live within 10 minutes of our house.

'preciate the offer though.

7. Dec 13, 2011 at 6:08 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5

I wish you where closer to me. I always feed my help steak and beer. Havent had anyone come up with an excuse yet.

8. Dec 13, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    pre-finished hardwood floors would be easier than tile and you dont have to worry about them cracking, large tiles can be a bitch for a do it your-selfer. you should get it down to one layer of plywood, add more plywood, add concrete backerboard, add leveling compound, then tile....a lot of work and no guarantees it wont crack or the grout wont pop

9. Dec 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Mmm tasty...yeah, you're a little far away haha.

10. Jan 10, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    I wouldn't go crazy trying to get the floor PERFECTLY clean. Do the best you can. Go to lowes and get Hardi Backer and lay over the subfloor. Lay your tile on that.

That's what i have done on every single floor tile job i have ever done. All are still holding strong. No creaks, no cracks, no gaps.

Some advice. Back butter your tiles. Lay one down first. Then pop it back up. Look at the mortar. You should see no backer board, and no tile. Mortar should be covering the tile and the floor COMPLETELY for a solid bond. Get the right size notch for your tools too. Small tiles dont need a 1/2" notch. 18x18's need a bigger notch than a 6x6 and so on.

For your first job, be sure to use spacers. Try and clean up all excess during the job. Longer you wait, harder it is to clean up the mortar. Take a razor blade and scrape between the tiles where the grout goes. make sure you don't have excess mortar sticking up between the tiles. Just about all i can think of. Oh yeah, definitely get a cheap tile saw. Think i got a cheap skill saw from lowes when i first started for like $69. Its been through 2 kitchens, 6 bathrooms, 2 showers, and a countertop. More than paid for itself. My next job i will need to replace the blade.

Products Discussed in

To Top