1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Compressor/Tools Help/Questions

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by pyroskier, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Dec 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    pyroskier

pyroskier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    Alright guys, so my garage got a little beefed up this Christmas, and I need some noob advice...

My dad and I got this air compressor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I got these Air tools:

[​IMG]

The Impact Wrench is 1/2" drive, with speed settings 1-4, and says use at 90 psi or lower. The Socket is 3/8" drive, same psi. I don't imagine using the Hammer too much...

But, I have NO idea how to use these (Well I know the basics and what not) but I don't know really the Do's and Don't's of using them.

1) The Wrench has speed settings 1 through 4, are these Torque settings or just speed? Is there a way to know what the estimated torque of each setting are or does it depend on what psi you're running at?

2) I'm assuming I need to use special Impact Sockets with these tools, not just the common hand tool sockets. Any brand recommendations that won't break the bank? And since the Wrench and Socket are different drive sizes, do I need a set of 1/2 drive and a set of 3/8 drive sockets or can I use a reducer like this one?

3) While using these, is it ok to use the wrench or socket to put ON a nut? Or will this put too much torque on the nut/bolt? Should I put it on a lower speed setting, put on, then use my torque wrench to get a torque reading?

4) Any other tips/tricks/advice for me? Is it necessary to empty the compressor tank at the end of the night? Any experience with this tank or tools?

Thanks guys! Any advice would help, just want to do things right!

2. Dec 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    for the home garage enviroment i would recommend the craftsman imapct sockets..i have a few and they are good. the settings 1-4 are torque settings but the rpms will be affected as well. don't for get to use air tool oil everytime you use them..helps preserves and prolongs the life of your new air tools
    21dhraw_358a37267df4101b9303cc6e6524e6459d545a53.jpg

i like the Marvel Mystery Oil Brand Air Tool Oil the best..
    2jadsuw_f2fefe211f66547d2e5d9b1df53121b73e29a9d2.jpg

3. Dec 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    pyroskier

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    Thanks man, know what the approx. torque settings are?

4. Dec 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    not for the set that you have..it should be listed somewhere on the packaging or manuals

5. Dec 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    pyroskier

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    They don't have it listed anywhere in/on the packaging...

6. Dec 25, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I have the same set of tools and they have served me well.

You will want to get some impact sockets for use with the impact wrench. They are generally black in color and thicker that regular sockets. The regular chrome sockets can crack (in some cases come apart violently) with the impact gun. You can use regular sockets with the air ratchet.

7. Dec 25, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    1 - they're speed setting, which in turn increase the torque (I think, not 100%)

2 - Yeah, you need to go get yourself a set of Impact Sockets, only really need a 1/2" set as the Air Ratchet isn't high torque like the impact where a softer metal is not really required, you can but it's not immediately necessary.

3 - All depends what you're using them on, wheels I use impacts to take them off not usually to put back on (unless I'm in a big rush or something, or part way but don't want to tighten them with the impact wrench)

4 - Depends on the compressor, I don't usually empty it, just shut the compressor itself off. If you have a leaky compressor then shut it off & empty it.

8. Dec 25, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    pyroskier

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    Alright thanks a bunch guys, I'm going into Sears tomorrow morning and picking up some sockets. 45acp (jonathan) is helping me replace my CV's tomorrow, so these will come in handy for sure.

9. Dec 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Air tools are not a substitute for torque wrenches so it's better to think in terms of speed and bolt/nut size. The other thing to remember is that sometimes, using impact tools to remove stuff can cause it to break (torque load) or when you're installing, to strip because of the torque--so be careful to make sure nuts/bolts are threaded correctly before tightening. If you'd normally use a small socket, use a small driver.

One thing I've found that makes the compressor much easier to use is a retractable air hose. Mount it above your work area (plumb from the compressor up to it) and put an air outlet along with a water trap down near the compressor some place. If you are putting an air filter/water trap in, put that as close to the tool end as is practical.

Have fun with your new toy!

10. Dec 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    I have had that same compressor for about ten years. My advice: consider the 1/2 inch vs the 3/8 inch hose for the impact wrench. You will get more air to the tool and, therefore greater torque. I installed a custom manifold that has both female ends that are needed for both hoses. I wasn't getting enough power to the impact wrench with the 3/8 inch hose. Perhaps your experience will be different. Also, drain the compressor (petcock valve on the bottom) after every use. The moisture in the compressor can rust the interior. All in all, a great compressor!

11. Dec 25, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    P.S. I leave the compressor tank full. You should empty and drain the tank periodically though. And when you're out in the garage, be prepared for the compressor to kick in--it'll scare the crap out of you the first couple of times it comes on :)

12. Dec 25, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    ILikeTacosToo

ILikeTacosToo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD Off Road
    ARB front locker, alpine nav, image dynamics i5800, Polk audio front rear and subs, TOYTEC 3 inch coilovers wiht AAL, awesomest driver ever!
    Your 4 settings are speed, which will have a small affect on the torque. you adjust the torque by adjusting the PSI coming from the compressor. if your tools dont have a table comparing PSI to Torque you can probably look it up online.

Always finish all bolts off with an actual torque wrench to ensure proper torque!

13. Dec 25, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    Yea I have the same setup good for the home user. Kinda loud but overall good stuff

14. Dec 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Don't use reducers. They will twist off with any real torque. The air ratchet will take any 3/8 socket they have just enough torque to run off a nut once it's broken free all though you'll want to have a good grip on it when you hit the button. All the adjustments do is lower the air pressure going to the tool hence lower torque you'll probably find the best setting is wide open.

15. Dec 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    pyroskier

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    Any other tools/attachments that you guys would recommend? It came with a tire/ball inflator. I don't want to spend a bunch of money, but any small but handy tools come to mind?

16. Dec 25, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I have a die grinder ($20 from Harbor Freight) a drill and a couple of other little goodies in addition to an impact wrench, air ratchet and some nail guns.

17. Dec 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    I just got this Impact: Dad has the earlier model and it works great!

And Just got a Craftsman 3/8" air ratchet.

I might pick up a set of impact sockets, I usually just use 6pt. sockets (non-impact).

18. Dec 25, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Here is a fantastic "starter" set for metric 1/2" drive shorts impact...

http://www.tooltopia.com/grey-pneumatic-1326m.aspx

I use a set of grey 1/2" drive metric allens impacts for tough jobs:)

I have worn out a couple set of Snap-on impacts over the years. air impact tools really take a beating.

On heavy outdoor construction projects, you can drive LAG bolts with the air gun...like 3/8 lag bolts effortlessly. I seem to use my 1/2" chuck air drill with a screw driver bit more than anything else off the air system, but I mount my own motorcycle tires (and every so often, a light truck or jeep tire), use die grinder, cut off wheels and blow gun quite a bit.

My air system is a bit larger than your starter compressor, IR Type 30 single phase, 220v, on a 80 gallon tank, plumbed with 1/2" black iron pipe to a 34x70 personal shop.

Until you get a feel for the impact, use it ONLY to run the nuts ON, and use a torque wrench. Once you get the hang of it, you can do many things, FAST. Plus air impacts are really good at taking things apart.

19. Dec 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    abn2060

abn2060 Infidel

Member:
    N Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma OR 4x4
    Stock
    Just a couple things. If you can install an in line air dryer it will help keep moisture out of your tools.
    When you get done using a tool, put a couple drops of oil in the air inlet and operate the tool a couple seconds.
    Also, set the regulator at 90 psi and you should be good to go.

20. Dec 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I'd say for that impact, which probably doesn't have a ton of torque, and how often you'll probably use it, go to harbor freight and pick up a set of their impact sockets and some universal joints. Maybe a set of extensions as well.

They also have really cheap cool things like a die grinder, pneumatic needlegun, butterfly impact etc...

Drain the tank with the small brass valve on the bottom periodically, water collects in the bottom and it will rust if you let it sit. You can leave air in it though.

As suggested an inline dryer can't hurt. Just a small water collector or something right after the output on the compressor. And maybe strap it on somewhere to the tank. Just rig up a small section of hose with some harbor freight fittings and some teflon tape. That's what I'd do anyway. I'm cheap.

Products Discussed in

To Top