Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Air Compressor/Tools Help/Questions

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Air Compressor/Tools Help/Questions

Alright guys, so my garage got a little beefed up this Christmas, and I need some noob advice...

My dad and I got this air compressor:

And I got these Air tools:

The Impact Wrench is 1/2" drive, with speed settings 1-4, and says use at 90 psi or lower. The Socket is 3/8" drive, same psi. I don't imagine using the Hammer too much...

But, I have NO idea how to use these (Well I know the basics and what not) but I don't know really the Do's and Don't's of using them.

1) The Wrench has speed settings 1 through 4, are these Torque settings or just speed? Is there a way to know what the estimated torque of each setting are or does it depend on what psi you're running at?

2) I'm assuming I need to use special Impact Sockets with these tools, not just the common hand tool sockets. Any brand recommendations that won't break the bank? And since the Wrench and Socket are different drive sizes, do I need a set of 1/2 drive and a set of 3/8 drive sockets or can I use a reducer like this one?

3) While using these, is it ok to use the wrench or socket to put ON a nut? Or will this put too much torque on the nut/bolt? Should I put it on a lower speed setting, put on, then use my torque wrench to get a torque reading?

4) Any other tips/tricks/advice for me? Is it necessary to empty the compressor tank at the end of the night? Any experience with this tank or tools?

Thanks guys! Any advice would help, just want to do things right!
Old 12-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
for the home garage enviroment i would recommend the craftsman imapct sockets..i have a few and they are good. the settings 1-4 are torque settings but the rpms will be affected as well. don't for get to use air tool oil everytime you use them..helps preserves and prolongs the life of your new air tools

i like the Marvel Mystery Oil Brand Air Tool Oil the best..
Old 12-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks man, know what the approx. torque settings are?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
Thanks man, know what the approx. torque settings are?
not for the set that you have..it should be listed somewhere on the packaging or manuals
Old 12-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

They don't have it listed anywhere in/on the packaging...
Old 12-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same set of tools and they have served me well.

You will want to get some impact sockets for use with the impact wrench. They are generally black in color and thicker that regular sockets. The regular chrome sockets can crack (in some cases come apart violently) with the impact gun. You can use regular sockets with the air ratchet.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
1 - they're speed setting, which in turn increase the torque (I think, not 100%)

2 - Yeah, you need to go get yourself a set of Impact Sockets, only really need a 1/2" set as the Air Ratchet isn't high torque like the impact where a softer metal is not really required, you can but it's not immediately necessary.

3 - All depends what you're using them on, wheels I use impacts to take them off not usually to put back on (unless I'm in a big rush or something, or part way but don't want to tighten them with the impact wrench)

4 - Depends on the compressor, I don't usually empty it, just shut the compressor itself off. If you have a leaky compressor then shut it off & empty it.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #8

Alright thanks a bunch guys, I'm going into Sears tomorrow morning and picking up some sockets. 45acp (jonathan) is helping me replace my CV's tomorrow, so these will come in handy for sure.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Air tools are not a substitute for torque wrenches so it's better to think in terms of speed and bolt/nut size. The other thing to remember is that sometimes, using impact tools to remove stuff can cause it to break (torque load) or when you're installing, to strip because of the torque--so be careful to make sure nuts/bolts are threaded correctly before tightening. If you'd normally use a small socket, use a small driver.

One thing I've found that makes the compressor much easier to use is a retractable air hose. Mount it above your work area (plumb from the compressor up to it) and put an air outlet along with a water trap down near the compressor some place. If you are putting an air filter/water trap in, put that as close to the tool end as is practical.

Have fun with your new toy!
Old 12-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
I have had that same compressor for about ten years. My advice: consider the 1/2 inch vs the 3/8 inch hose for the impact wrench. You will get more air to the tool and, therefore greater torque. I installed a custom manifold that has both female ends that are needed for both hoses. I wasn't getting enough power to the impact wrench with the 3/8 inch hose. Perhaps your experience will be different. Also, drain the compressor (petcock valve on the bottom) after every use. The moisture in the compressor can rust the interior. All in all, a great compressor!
Old 12-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
P.S. I leave the compressor tank full. You should empty and drain the tank periodically though. And when you're out in the garage, be prepared for the compressor to kick in--it'll scare the crap out of you the first couple of times it comes on
Old 12-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
ILikeTacosToo is on a distinguished road

Navy: SLJO
Name: Kyle
ILikeTacosToo's Tacoma Gallery
Your 4 settings are speed, which will have a small affect on the torque. you adjust the torque by adjusting the PSI coming from the compressor. if your tools dont have a table comparing PSI to Torque you can probably look it up online.

Always finish all bolts off with an actual torque wrench to ensure proper torque!
Old 12-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I have the same setup good for the home user. Kinda loud but overall good stuff
Old 12-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Don't use reducers. They will twist off with any real torque. The air ratchet will take any 3/8 socket they have just enough torque to run off a nut once it's broken free all though you'll want to have a good grip on it when you hit the button. All the adjustments do is lower the air pressure going to the tool hence lower torque you'll probably find the best setting is wide open.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #15

Any other tools/attachments that you guys would recommend? It came with a tire/ball inflator. I don't want to spend a bunch of money, but any small but handy tools come to mind?
Old 12-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #16

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I have a die grinder ($20 from Harbor Freight) a drill and a couple of other little goodies in addition to an impact wrench, air ratchet and some nail guns.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #17
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I just got this Impact: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-prof...nch-68424.html

Dad has the earlier model and it works great!

And Just got a Craftsman 3/8" air ratchet.

I might pick up a set of impact sockets, I usually just use 6pt. sockets (non-impact).
Old 12-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #18
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a fantastic "starter" set for metric 1/2" drive shorts impact...

http://www.tooltopia.com/grey-pneumatic-1326m.aspx

I use a set of grey 1/2" drive metric allens impacts for tough jobs:-)

I have worn out a couple set of Snap-on impacts over the years. air impact tools really take a beating.

On heavy outdoor construction projects, you can drive LAG bolts with the air gun...like 3/8 lag bolts effortlessly. I seem to use my 1/2" chuck air drill with a screw driver bit more than anything else off the air system, but I mount my own motorcycle tires (and every so often, a light truck or jeep tire), use die grinder, cut off wheels and blow gun quite a bit.

My air system is a bit larger than your starter compressor, IR Type 30 single phase, 220v, on a 80 gallon tank, plumbed with 1/2" black iron pipe to a 34x70 personal shop.

Until you get a feel for the impact, use it ONLY to run the nuts ON, and use a torque wrench. Once you get the hang of it, you can do many things, FAST. Plus air impacts are really good at taking things apart.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #19
Infidel
abn2060 is on a distinguished road

abn2060's Tacoma Gallery
Just a couple things. If you can install an in line air dryer it will help keep moisture out of your tools.
When you get done using a tool, put a couple drops of oil in the air inlet and operate the tool a couple seconds.
Also, set the regulator at 90 psi and you should be good to go.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #20
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say for that impact, which probably doesn't have a ton of torque, and how often you'll probably use it, go to harbor freight and pick up a set of their impact sockets and some universal joints. Maybe a set of extensions as well.

They also have really cheap cool things like a die grinder, pneumatic needlegun, butterfly impact etc...

Drain the tank with the small brass valve on the bottom periodically, water collects in the bottom and it will rust if you let it sit. You can leave air in it though.

As suggested an inline dryer can't hurt. Just a small water collector or something right after the output on the compressor. And maybe strap it on somewhere to the tank. Just rig up a small section of hose with some harbor freight fittings and some teflon tape. That's what I'd do anyway. I'm cheap.

Products Discussed in this Thread