Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

what size air compressor should I buy if I want to do suspension work

Old 12-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
what size air compressor should I buy if I want to do suspension work

I have talked to several people about air compressors and impact wrenches. I want something good enough to do suspension work. My uncle has a 6 gallon 200psi and he said he still has to un torque certain parts by hand. I want to avoid this and I am looking at a 4 gallon 150psi. Will this be enough to torque off lug nuts on tires and lower control arm bolts or is this not possible without a bigger and badder air compressor? input would be great
Old 01-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
trdtaco1 is on a distinguished road
trdtaco1's Tacoma Gallery
your main concern is going to be the tools you are using, not so much the air compressor. but you do get what you pay for with an air compressor too! an impact gun usually you dont need more then 90psi from the compressor for the gun to work. also the amount of air the tool uses is a good thing to look at too. if you have a smaller tank you will consume the air much faster and then need to wait for it to build back up the pressure before you can begin using the tool again. when it comes to an impact gun you do get what you pay for. i have cheapy ones and they cant even take off lug nuts, but my higher end craftsman and my snap on will zip lugs off with no trouble.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
While I have a bigger compressor, I typically just use my little porter cable pancake compressor for doing work on cars. It takes less time to fill up. Sure it cycles more often but for short bursts of the impact gun and the air ratchet, it works just fine.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
You need to look at the tools you will be using. Doing suspension work I would look to find a good 1/2 inch impact gun and build around that. Find out what the 90 PSI air flow requirements are and then get a compressor that can keep up with that cfm rating. Then everything else should be butter. But if you don't get a compressor that can handle the main tool you will use then you will regret it. Also remember that PSI isn't the only measure of a compressors capabilities. In fact its one of the least important since most compressors run over 100 PSI and most impact tools are rated at only 90 PSI.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Gallon size is totally irrelevant, and most manufactures lie on their horsepower specifications. Most air compressors require a operating range of 4.2 CSFM. So if you get a 20 gallon compressor with a motor rated at 6 CSFM, is will do circles around a compressor with 30 gallon tank and a smaller motor.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
You'll need a quality impact gun for the torqued bolts. However, I have a Home Depot impact gun that came with a air ratchet and die grinder. Got the kit during xmas two years ago for $29. It's works fine for removing suspension parts, wheels, and anything else I've needed to remove from my truck. However, I wish the impact gun had a little more power.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
Gallon size is totally irrelevant, and most manufactures lie on their horsepower specifications. Most air compressors require a operating range of 4.2 CSFM. So if you get a 20 gallon compressor with a motor rated at 6 CSFM, is will do circles around a compressor with 30 gallon tank and a smaller motor.
You are exactly right. The craftsman was a 120vac powered motor and the IR was a 220vac powered. Much more umph. I've seen gas powered compressors that are used to disassemble locomotive parts and their tank was only 10 gals, and they rip.