Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

New to Welding, need some easy starter project ideas?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
New to Welding, need some easy starter project ideas?

When I say new, I mean I have taken it out of the box and I have seen people weld before. I got this for Christmas:

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...der-68887.html

I am only wanting to learn basic welding, I don't have plans to become a fabricator and doing anything great with the skill, it is just something I want to learn and do. I have done basic research on the how-to and things to know, and any advice would be welcomed, but most of all, any ideas of things to build that would be useful. I have looked at a few things to try (workbench, dolly, kayak rack, etc.) but just wanted to see if there is anything that would be really neat and simple to start with? Oh and if you have done it, maybe your write up and plans would be great.

Thanks!

Oh, and anyone in the DFW area know of any cheap places to buy steel?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
build a basic 3x6 welding bench.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
a cart for the welder.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
build a basic 3x6 welding bench.
This is what came up most when I searched and seems most obvious. The biggest problem is I already have a nice work bench and don't have room for another. I know a bigger table would better for welding, but just don't think I have the room.

Thanks, I may still try it.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
a cart for the welder.
I did find a write up on a dolly that I want to try. The welder itself is pretty small (about the size of a small tool box) so it won't need a cart. The dolly though could be very useful, I don't have one and always have to borrow one. This is up there as one of things to try, it does seem though it would be a little tough to start with.

Thank you.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
I did find a write up on a dolly that I want to try. The welder itself is pretty small (about the size of a small tool box) so it won't need a cart. The dolly though could be very useful, I don't have one and always have to borrow one. This is up there as one of things to try, it does seem though it would be a little tough to start with.

Thank you.
You should just get some scrap steel and start practicing. That's how I learned. Flux core is a little tougher than welding with gas IMO but again, that's what I learned on.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You should just get some scrap steel and start practicing. That's how I learned. Flux core is a little tougher than welding with gas IMO but again, that's what I learned on.

I definitely plan on practicing first, but I am too eager so I won't do much before wanting to jump in. I literally have never welded so I figure three or four practice pieces of scrap before I turn pro!
Old 12-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
steve o, have you ever done any sort of rack or anything for your bikes? Not that I am at that level, just curious.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
If you have a bulk junk night go around and find broken bed frames..perfect to learn welding on.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
If you have a bulk junk night go around and find broken bed frames..perfect to learn welding on.
Good idea. I'll have to start trash diving, the first Monday of the month is bulk.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
AlaskanTaco will become famous soon enough

AlaskanTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I definitely plan on practicing first, but I am too eager so I won't do much before wanting to jump in. I literally have never welded so I figure three or four practice pieces of scrap before I turn pro!
Turn pro? There is ALOT of need to knows about welding. How to set amperage, proper pass techniques, proper penetration, how to use different rods. And btw, if you are flux core welding, be careful. That stuff gets HOT!! I have seen people's masks melt and set fire before. Ain't like MIG welding.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
braaap

Quote:
steve o, have you ever done any sort of rack or anything for your bikes? Not that I am at that level, just curious.
Actually yes, I built a rack for my DR650. Using some scrap flat stock we had laying around and my parent's miller 140 running flux core.

ugly welds, they got ground down.

all done

Took about 2 hours. The hardest part is getting everything symetrical and bent correctly.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Bed bars/bed racks, welder carts, tables/benches, it really only stops where your imagination does. This spring I'll hopefully be building up a bed rack that'll be able to mount two bikes, a spare, hi-lift, and might have some built in tool boxes as well.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanTaco View Post
Turn pro? There is ALOT of need to knows about welding. How to set amperage, proper pass techniques, proper penetration, how to use different rods. And btw, if you are flux core welding, be careful. That stuff gets HOT!! I have seen people's masks melt and set fire before. Ain't like MIG welding.
Sorry, I am quite the sarcastic one, in no way what so ever do I think I will be pro or even capable. I may have to hang up the shield and gloves after one practice.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually yes, I built a rack for my DR650. Using some scrap flat stock we had laying around and my parent's miller 140 running flux core.

ugly welds, they got ground down.

all done

Took about 2 hours. The hardest part is getting everything symetrical and bent correctly.
Looks good.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #16
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm hoping to get a new job soon that will require some welding/fabbing. I am as big a newb as they come to welding. As you stated there is a lot to be learned. I don't have the time or means for schooling, so I ordered one of these to familiarize my self to metal fusion.

http://www.amazon.com/Welding-Pocket..._other_title_0

Tons of straight-forward, practical info and worth every penny.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
Bed bars/bed racks, welder carts, tables/benches, it really only stops where your imagination does. This spring I'll hopefully be building up a bed rack that'll be able to mount two bikes, a spare, hi-lift, and might have some built in tool boxes as well.
Don't know why I haven't thought of this, because I have been wanting some for a while now, then just as I was looking at steve o's post, it came to mind. Thanks, that may be what I start with. I like the rack with tool box combo, I may start working on a plan, but keep me posted on how yours goes. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Besides basic safety precautions, any other safety advice so I don't burn myself or anything else down. I do still have to pick up gloves, is there anything that is better than the next for flux core welding (and can you get them at Home Depot/Lowes)?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
kimo will become famous soon enough

Name: Darin
kimo's Tacoma Gallery
When my late Grandpa retired he made windmills out of bedframes among other stuff. The windmills were @ 6ft tall and he sold 2-3 a yr in front of his house .
Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
braaap

I always just wear an old sweat shirt (COTTON, NOT NYLON), some thick welding gloves and a hood. Yeah I get burned pretty often but its not too bad. A pair of leather boots are nice too.

Products Discussed in this Thread