1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Powder coating an Ammo Can? Bed storage help...

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by AlphaEcho2k5, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    Here's the deal...

I purchased (2) 20mm Ammo cans for storage in the bed of my truck. I was leaning towards buying a toolbox for the back; however I felt this method was cheaper and more practical for the amount of things I wanted to store. I plan to use "U" bolts on both sides to with locks to secure them.

[​IMG]

I've been quoted $50 a piece to have them Powder coated, which would entail me somehow removing the rubber gaskets under the lid(I'd like to keep them in for water protection) during the curing process (oven) of the Powder coat. Is it possible to remove the rubber gasket and reinstall after the powder coat has been done? I've also looked at line-x again $50 a pop and I'm not sure how the hinges/handles would be affected. Yes, I know I can simply sand,prime and rattle can them but I really don't want to have to unbolt them from the bed to reapply additional layers of paint. What do you guys think? Yes... long post, I know. Thanks. :cheers:

2. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    geoff06

geoff06 261k and counting

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '01 PreRunner Xcab lifted
    3" lift, Bilstein 5100/OME coilovers, rear AAL, Swiss camper shell, Rough Country 9000 rear shocks, 265/75/16 AT's on stock steel rims painted black, All-Pro 1.5"F/1.25"R wheel spacers, airbox elbow mod, Flowmaster Super 44, Davico post-cat, I took off my DIY angle iron bed/light bar!, bed wheel well shovel-mount, blacked out grill emblem, Poineer DEH-P3900 head unit, Alpine Type R front component speakers, Pioneer Coaxial rears, Dynamat in door panels, scratchbuilt aluminum holders for my ipod nano and phone, and for some reason, I painted the headlight fillers black...
    I've considered doing ammo drybox bed storage for a while too. I would honestly recommend doing rattle can RustOleum Enamel. If you are patient and spray 1-2 coats per day for about 4 days, it will put a heck of a finish on them. Good luck with whatever route you choose!

3. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    Appreciate the response, thanks.

4. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    geoff06

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    3" lift, Bilstein 5100/OME coilovers, rear AAL, Swiss camper shell, Rough Country 9000 rear shocks, 265/75/16 AT's on stock steel rims painted black, All-Pro 1.5"F/1.25"R wheel spacers, airbox elbow mod, Flowmaster Super 44, Davico post-cat, I took off my DIY angle iron bed/light bar!, bed wheel well shovel-mount, blacked out grill emblem, Poineer DEH-P3900 head unit, Alpine Type R front component speakers, Pioneer Coaxial rears, Dynamat in door panels, scratchbuilt aluminum holders for my ipod nano and phone, and for some reason, I painted the headlight fillers black...
    Yeah, no problem. I've had really good experiences with their spray enamels. Refinished my stock skidplate with them too.

5. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    maybe the bed liner spray?

6. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    In my experience you can remove the gasket with a flat screwdriver or putty knife then simply peen the metal back to pinch the gasket. I Have done that numerous timed painting these cans and it works.

7. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Mi Vida Taco

Mi Vida Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 taco
    unfortunatly the spray on options fade over time even with multiple layers of both paint and clear coat (ive tried) but it is so much cheaper. great idea though, i use a couple .50 cal ammo cans in conjunction with a toolbox and like em.

8. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    The OP wants to take the cans apart then paint and reinstall gasket..yes it can be done

9. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    I had a toolbox and switched to ammo cans and I like this method of storage a lot better. It definitely frees up a lot of bed space compared to a toolbox.

[​IMG]

I left mine as is but I would probably put rattle can bedliner on the boxes that way you can touch it up if they get damaged and it's more durable than regular spray paint.

10. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    geoff06

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Do whatever you think looks best with your truck and your budget, if you're not extremely particular about them. But again I'm really happy with black spray enamel, and I don't really care much about fading

11. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    Mi Vida Taco

Mi Vida Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 taco
    and the nice thing about the fading, once you do good first coat, maybe every 6 months just one quick spray over and they look brand new! and wouldnt take but maybe one can to do entire can touch up for both probablly twice outa the same can. i usually do the krylon flat black camo with a matte clear coat and usually works very well, in the hot texas sun usually takes bout 6 months to start fading pretty bad.

12. Jan 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    i'd probably spray paint them too, ...seems like the powdercoating will be quite a hassle, w/ little benefit/cost..

13. Jan 5, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    AlphaEcho2k5

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    The green paint on them isn't very easy on the eyes. It looks like they've been repainted a "few" times over the years. Thank you on the advice on removing the gasket.

14. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    use Rapco spray paint.

Products Discussed in

To Top