Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Powder coating an Ammo Can? Bed storage help...

Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Hoist Rider
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Powder coating an Ammo Can? Bed storage help...

Here's the deal...

I purchased (2) 20mm Ammo cans for storage in the bed of my truck. I was leaning towards buying a toolbox for the back; however I felt this method was cheaper and more practical for the amount of things I wanted to store. I plan to use "U" bolts on both sides to with locks to secure them.

I've been quoted $50 a piece to have them Powder coated, which would entail me somehow removing the rubber gaskets under the lid(I'd like to keep them in for water protection) during the curing process (oven) of the Powder coat. Is it possible to remove the rubber gasket and reinstall after the powder coat has been done? I've also looked at line-x again $50 a pop and I'm not sure how the hinges/handles would be affected. Yes, I know I can simply sand,prime and rattle can them but I really don't want to have to unbolt them from the bed to reapply additional layers of paint. What do you guys think? Yes... long post, I know. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Hoist Rider
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff06 View Post
I've considered doing ammo drybox bed storage for a while too. I would honestly recommend doing rattle can RustOleum Enamel. If you are patient and spray 1-2 coats per day for about 4 days, it will put a heck of a finish on them. Good luck with whatever route you choose!
Appreciate the response, thanks.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
In my experience you can remove the gasket with a flat screwdriver or putty knife then simply peen the metal back to pinch the gasket. I Have done that numerous timed painting these cans and it works.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Mi Vida Taco will become famous soon enoughMi Vida Taco will become famous soon enough

Army: Infantry
Mi Vida Taco's Tacoma Gallery
unfortunatly the spray on options fade over time even with multiple layers of both paint and clear coat (ive tried) but it is so much cheaper. great idea though, i use a couple .50 cal ammo cans in conjunction with a toolbox and like em.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
The OP wants to take the cans apart then paint and reinstall gasket..yes it can be done
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I had a toolbox and switched to ammo cans and I like this method of storage a lot better. It definitely frees up a lot of bed space compared to a toolbox.

I left mine as is but I would probably put rattle can bedliner on the boxes that way you can touch it up if they get damaged and it's more durable than regular spray paint.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just leave em green ? A friend rattled his. And they didn't come out well. Bit he doesn't care .
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
Mi Vida Taco will become famous soon enoughMi Vida Taco will become famous soon enough

Army: Infantry
Mi Vida Taco's Tacoma Gallery
and the nice thing about the fading, once you do good first coat, maybe every 6 months just one quick spray over and they look brand new! and wouldnt take but maybe one can to do entire can touch up for both probablly twice outa the same can. i usually do the krylon flat black camo with a matte clear coat and usually works very well, in the hot texas sun usually takes bout 6 months to start fading pretty bad.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i'd probably spray paint them too, ...seems like the powdercoating will be quite a hassle, w/ little benefit/cost..
Old 01-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
Hoist Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Why not just leave em green ? A friend rattled his. And they didn't come out well. Bit he doesn't care .
The green paint on them isn't very easy on the eyes. It looks like they've been repainted a "few" times over the years. Thank you on the advice on removing the gasket.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
use Rapco spray paint.