Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Any good impact for under $100?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
poynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
poynter's Tacoma Gallery
Any good impact for under $100?

I started to install new struts on the front of my truck last night and my impact died on the first bolt. Ive had it a couple years and thats way longer than I expected it to last.

What do you guys recommend for under $100?

I have a lowes locally and thought of trying a kobalt so I could return it if not happy. we also have autozone, advance, oreillys, napa and walmart if any of those might have something.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a Harbor Freight around you? Their tools aren't bad for the price. If it's not under every day use, they'll last a while.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
poynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to behold

poynter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Do you have a Harbor Freight around you? Their tools aren't bad for the price. If it's not under every day use, they'll last a while.
unfortunately no. Its about an hour away. I always end up buying stuff I dont even need when I go there just cause its so cheap.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacooon View Post
If your gunna spend money on tools get something reliable like most of the good name brands
Most of the time I'd agree with you but for the common home owner or DIY mechanic who will only use the tool a few times a year or may install a lift and not touch the tool again for years, it's not worth spending 3 or 4 times the money on a well known, reliable name brand vs. Harbor Freight or the Lowes/Home Depot brands. For most people, the off brands hold up perfectly well for light/moderate use. Hell, I've had a Ryobi 18v set for years and even did a fairly substantial home renovation using them and they've held up surprisingly well.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #7

poynter's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got a craftsman compressor. 33 gallon upright tank. 150psi.
It was a little under $300 and the impact that just died was a freebie deal they had with the compressor so I definitely got my moneys worth.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most of the time I'd agree with you but for the common home owner or DIY mechanic who will only use the tool a few times a year or may install a lift and not touch the tool again for years, it's not worth spending 3 or 4 times the money on a well known, reliable name brand vs. Harbor Freight or the Lowes/Home Depot brands. For most people, the off brands hold up perfectly well for light/moderate use. Hell, I've had a Ryobi 18v set for years and even did a fairly substantial home renovation using them and they've held up surprisingly well.
I agree ... picked up my air tools (Impact/ratchet/nailer) at a yard sale about 3 or 4 years ago. I think they are Husky brand. For the 3 or 4 times I use them a year, they serve their purpose and have held up. FWIW
Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
wcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Cliff
wcp0611's Tacoma Gallery
If you're running it for a while, then a big tank is a must, unless you are using a gas engine compressor. Gas ones fill faster, but it wont' help your waiting if you tap that tank out quickly. I have a 5 gallon, twin tank electric compressor and it does just fine for turning lugs or long bolts. I just bought a Harbor Freight, no-name air impact and it works great.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Check your local pawn shops.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
For a tank (for household or lighter duty use), I'd look for a higher cycle rate on the compressor or a large volume tank. If you run a shop, you want both. I have a small Bostich compressor that's got a decent duty cycle but it's a pancake tank so it's not overly large.

Some compressors are 100% duty cycle meaning you can hook the gun right up to the compressor, no tank needed. All the tank does is create a reserve so the compressor doesn't have to run 100% of the time. You have to determine your use and decide what trade offs you're willing to live with (big tank, takes a while to drain down but a long time to refill or small tank but a more expensive, high duty cycle compressor).
Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
Freelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to behold

Name: Curtis
Freelance's Tacoma Gallery
I love me some Harbor Freight. I can fill up a tool box for $25, and most of their 'solid' tools hold up great (open end stubbies ftw!).
Like others said, if it's a tool you will use one or twice a year, you don't need a $450 impact. Hell, they are technically only to *remove* bolts/nuts anyway. I work on CVT engines daily, and the Harbor Freight impact that I had just couldn't hang. I worked well out of the box, but would lose it's balls, or sometimes just lock up after a few weeks of very hard use. Sure, I could replace it for cheap under the HF warranty (which are awesome), but it was a hassle back and forth after the second time. I've had a Craftsman now for awhile and it's held up okay.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #14
Lets Go State!
PSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to behold

PSUnick's Tacoma Gallery
I worked in Auto Body for six years. The master body and frame technician recommended to me the Ingersol Rand IR-231 impact gun. In his view it was the best entry level impact gun available. It has been around for ages and you can even get rebuild kits for it when the seals eventually wear out.

Amazon has it for $122 shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand...5775386&sr=8-1
Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #15
triumphx is on a distinguished road

triumphx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Check your local pawn shops.
^This is your best route, i manage a pawn shop and we have cornwell, mac and sometimes snap-on impacts around 100 bucks. Right now i have a cornwell for 49 bucks. Pawn shop FTW
Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
mmmm power tools i might want to invest in some
Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My dad has the HF electric impact and its ran great for years. Ive used it many times on my truck. get one of the 20% off coupons and go get one!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
sorry dont mean to hijack or anything, it just hooks up to an air compressor right?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #19
Freelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to behold

Name: Curtis
Freelance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
My dad has the HF electric impact and its ran great for years. Ive used it many times on my truck. get one of the 20% off coupons and go get one!
We also got an electric one from HF as well (for back-up, or emergency use on the road). Hooked into a cigarette lighter, or to the +/- battery terminals. GREAT for removing stuck nuts/bolts. That thing still breaks loose anything, and I mean anything, that my Craftsman can't.

Oh, and total win on the pawn shops, and yard sale suggestions! Found my best (used) tools at them.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicNac22 View Post
sorry dont mean to hijack or anything, it just hooks up to an air compressor right?
you can get air powered, electric, or battery operated.

Products Discussed in this Thread