Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Saw Stop table saw experience??

Old 01-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Saw Stop table saw experience??

We've all had those "close call incidents" on our tablesaw's. I've really been considering the Saw Stop tablesaw lately. If the blade detects any human skin, it retracts/stops the blade in less than a second. Does anyone have any experience with them?
http://youtu.be/TCdfOWUfgUw
http://youtu.be/Sjan1AzNKWg
Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't used one personally but am interested to hear as well
Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The brake consists of a piece of aluminum that is forced into the blade, thus stopping it. The brake is only a one time use and costs around $60 US for a replacement . Much better than losing a finger.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
The brake consists of a piece of aluminum that is forced into the blade, thus stopping it. The brake is only a one time use and costs around $60 US for a replacement . Much better than losing a finger.
I agree , but stopping the blade like that must end it for the saw too yes ?

I've wondered whether a soaking wet piece of wood could trip it as well .
Old 01-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Get one if you can. Ive used one for the longest time. I heard a story of a student at a highschool tripping it and not even knowing it. The teacher looked at his hand to find the smallest scratch.

Dosent destroy the motor. Ive seen it trip at a trade show before. Theres a spring mechinism mounted to the trunions (spelling) which snaps it down when the blade gets grounded or touches flesh. I have the same thing on one of my cabinets, lights mounted above and you touch the hindge to turn it on and off. It can be connected to a computer after tripping and it records information about the event.

so the spring drops down instantly and the metal piece does stop the blade. Everything is really high quality, digital readouts, HD fence. Ive sanded down the top on one, again really nice and low maintaince. Never kicked back on it before and cutting ply/mdf sheets east to keep close to fence.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Official Flatlander
Gieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gieser's Tacoma Gallery
our school shop got one but it sat there for half the year before they set it up. i thought there was two brake pads that clamped the blade so the spinning force sends the blade under the table. forget what it costs to fix but it wasnt to much i belive.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ERS TACOMA View Post
Get one if you can. Ive used one for the longest time. I heard a story of a student at a highschool tripping it and not even knowing it. The teacher looked at his hand to find the smallest scratch.

Dosent destroy the motor. Ive seen it trip at a trade show before. Theres a spring mechinism mounted to the trunions (spelling) which snaps it down when the blade gets grounded or touches flesh. I have the same thing on one of my cabinets, lights mounted above and you touch the hindge to turn it on and off. It can be connected to a computer after tripping and it records information about the event.

so the spring drops down instantly and the metal piece does stop the blade. Everything is really high quality, digital readouts, HD fence. Ive sanded down the top on one, again really nice and low maintaince. Never kicked back on it before and cutting ply/mdf sheets east to keep close to fence.
Does soaked lumber not trip it ?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aluminum, plastic glass with acrilic coatings. Wet wood is fine. Tripping it dosent break it. The spring mechinism gets pulled out by 2 clips underneath, new one gets replaced and just turn the blade height all the way down to realign the trunions.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Aluminum, plastic glass with acrilic coatings. Wet wood is fine. Tripping it dosent break it. The spring mechinism gets pulled out by 2 clips underneath, new one gets replaced and just turn the blade height all the way down to realign the trunions.
How much is the saw ?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the info! It's a little expensive but worth the money in my opinion. Here's the one im considering buying;http://www.sawstop.com/products/prof...l-cabinet-saw/
Old 01-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
BRONSON is on a distinguished road

BRONSON's Tacoma Gallery
I've tripped one with wet wood. $100 blade ruined plus the cost of a new brake. Still cheap insurance against bloody stumps.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

How wet was the wood??? Damp or soaking wet. Ive never had a problem with this.

KMS is selling them for around $3000-3500. I know when the one i use was bought it was over $4000. They do have a contractors verson for less.

If you have the money, i think its the best saw out there besides sliding/industrial.
If anybody has wood tool questions give me a shout, ive used a huge number of newer tools and brands myself and have a number of friends in custom woodworking/cabinet making.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #14

I will never cut wet lumber on the table saw anyways, only cabinet work
Old 01-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
We always are cutting wet wood during foundations , framing and siding .

I wouldn't spend $4000 for a saw for that stuff , but I would for a dedicated shop saw .
Old 01-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #16
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

Ive used a 5 year old, lower model general and have seen the quality of Grizzly-well made but not made to last. At the $3000 price, its def worth a look
Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ive used a 5 year old, lower model general and have seen the quality of Grizzly-well made but not made to last. At the $3000 price, its def worth a look
Our everyday saws last about 2-3 years then get rebuilt , they also work in the rain for 6 months of the year here
Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #18
BRONSON is on a distinguished road

BRONSON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How wet was the wood??? Damp or soaking wet. Ive never had a problem with this.
I was ripping a piece of P.T. lumber but it wasn't actually all that wet. The blade did have a fair amount of a resin buildup, I don't know if that might have had something to do with it. The dude the saw belongs to claims it's never happened since so I definitely wouldn't knock the technology.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONSON View Post
I was ripping a piece of P.T. lumber but it wasn't actually all that wet. The blade did have a fair amount of a resin buildup, I don't know if that might have had something to do with it. The dude the saw belongs to claims it's never happened since so I definitely wouldn't knock the technology.
I wonder if the formulation of the ACQ treatment caused it to trigger
Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #20
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

Made this with the saw stop, Porb will make 2 matching side tables and another set with a headboard. maybe a low boy All hardwood outside - birch and b walnut - and custom plywood drawers.
Attached Thumbnails
Saw Stop table saw experience??-2010-dresser.jpg