Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

help organizing sockets

Old 01-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
help organizing sockets

Anyone have any cheap/creative ways to organize sockets? My rolling tool chest didn't come with anything in the drawers, and I want to get all my sockets in them and not keep them in the original boxes. I have 3 different drive sizes in std and metric.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i've seen some good home-made ideas on garagejournal, ...like things as simple as drilling holes in a thick piece of wood
Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
i've seen some good home-made ideas on garagejournal, ...like things as simple as drilling holes in a thick piece of wood
Good idea. However, if it is a mobile toolbox, weight is a factor.

To the OP, I'm in the same situation. What I'm going to do I make some foam pieces that span the drawer, and cut some holes in them for sockets.

Edit - I see that the OP is talking about a rolling chest.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
I went to Home Depot to buy a few of those metal socket clip strips for all the loose sockets overflowing in my toolbox- figured I'd need 6 as they each hold 7 a piece. I ended up buying a new socket set that came in a case because it was cheaper than buying the organizers.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
For my sockets I use most often (pretty much all my metric sockets) I use these Craftsman magnetic organizers

I have 3 different sized trays depending on the size of the sockets, i.e. 1/4", 3/8", 1/2"

For my sockets I don't use often, I use the metal clip organizers posted above.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a cheap setup from Sears. It was a plastic square pegboard (about 1 foot) with moveable pegs in different sizes for the different driver sizes. It's similar to what Bradley posted but it's a peg instead of a clip. I think it was like $5 per square with the pegs.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a bunch of metal socket clip strips from harbor freight. Cheap and work just fine.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
For my sockets I use most often (pretty much all my metric sockets) I use these Craftsman magnetic organizers

I have 3 different sized trays depending on the size of the sockets, i.e. 1/4", 3/8", 1/2"

For my sockets I don't use often, I use the metal clip organizers posted above.
Yeah I'm thinking about trying these magnetic things out. I'm pretty fedd up with my current set up. I have the ones that are a then long metal bar with cheep metal clips. Some times they will hold the socket on and onther times the socket falls right off and of course in the rare times I'm trying to stay organized and keep my sockets on that track instead of letting them roll around it will fight me to let me even get the socket on the clip. I think these magnetic trays will work better with one handes use. I bet there expensive thoughand I'm rure I will have to buy a ton of them to keep everything organized.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Pit Snipe 1997 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Main Propulsion Engineer
Name: Scott
Pit Snipe 1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohbrian View Post
Anyone have any cheap/creative ways to organize sockets? My rolling tool chest didn't come with anything in the drawers, and I want to get all my sockets in them and not keep them in the original boxes. I have 3 different drive sizes in std and metric.

Thanks.
go to Sears in the tool section and check into the foam inserts that you can customize to fit all yur sockets ratchets and whatever else you dont want rolling aroung the drawer. I have a set in my roll away and it works great