Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Show off your garage or workshop!!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #21
Jack Olsen is on a distinguished road
Jack Olsen's Tacoma Gallery
And here's my garage. I don't have a truck. If I did, I would have had to lay this out differently. But there might be some useful ideas for you here.

A lot about how you put it together will depend on what you're going to be doing in it. I do some carpentry, some metal fab and a fair amount of car work in my garage. Since the garage is only 20x22, I gave up one of the parking spaces for a more functional setup.

Every garage should have a workbench. Or two. Or ten.

Two fold-down from the wall where the car is parked.

One is hydraulically raised and comes up out of the floor:

It also works pretty well as a lift for my rear-engine track car:

Here's a video about the lift.

Everything in the garage is home-made, repurposed or second-hand. I did all the work myself, including laying the tile and installing the lift. The total budget for the flooring, cabinets, benches and lift was $3,500. (I found the lift on ebay for $455, and put another $215 into tool rental, concrete and tiles.)

And if that isn't enough over-documentation,

here's the video about the garage.

And while I know it looks all girly and clean in the pictures, it's a working garage that gets plenty messy:

Old 02-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #22
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Wow I'm jelly
Old 02-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Here's some pics of mine below. It's always a work in progress. I added a MIG welder to the tool inventory a couple of weeks ago. In the future I plan on adding a permanent workbench with cabinets and ditching the craftsman workbench. I also plan on moving the rolling toolbox somewhere else and building a fold down welding table similar to the one posted above.

A shot of the work area

Above the door storage platforms

Right after I epoxied the floor
Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #24
Taco noob
.28 is on a distinguished road

Name: miguel
.28's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to .28
Mcgyver I love those shelves above your overhead.. Awesome idea! Gonna have to try that out...
Old 02-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Here's some pics of mine below. It's always a work in progress. I added a MIG welder to the tool inventory a couple of weeks ago. In the future I plan on adding a permanent workbench with cabinets and ditching the craftsman workbench. I also plan on moving the rolling toolbox somewhere else and building a fold down welding table similar to the one posted above.

A shot of the work area

Above the door storage platforms

Right after I epoxied the floor
what exactly do you mean about ditching that work bench. Am I going to need to make a rescue trip up to Ha?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #26
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
i like those benches, ..look sturdy.. my garage is about the same size, ..i've spent the past year coming up w/ some clever ways to store stuff on the walls
Thanks, we built the benches for the last place I lived and brought them with us to house we are currently at. I have held off on making anything to permanent in the garage as we are just renting at the moment that is why my cabinets are on the floor below the bench.

A pic of them in the old place they were set-up in a "L" shape then, they are very simple plywood, 2x4 and 4x4 construction I spent maybe 40$ on materials and a couple of hour to build them.

This site has some awesome garages on it.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #27
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
what exactly do you mean about ditching that work bench. Am I going to need to make a rescue trip up to Ha?

Haha I'm going to sell it...or maybe I'll just move it. I wish I had somewhere else to park my trailer besides the garage grrrr. then I would have more space. I need a bigger garage! My next house will have a drive-in basement for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .28
Mcgyver I love those shelves above your overhead.. Awesome idea! Gonna have to try that out...
They're easy to make, just nail some 2x4's together on 16" centers just like building a wall. Then I've found that nailing some ledgers up first then setting the frame on those makes putting them up easier. Have someone help you obviously because its big and awkward. I screwed them into each stud with 3.5" deck screws, then found the ceiling joists (mine run parallel to the garage door) and screwed the leg & block in. I think I put 3 deck screws into the block on the ceiling. Once the frame is up, then put your 4x8 sheet of plywood on top and screw it into the frame. I climbed up there are laid on it while screwing it in. It's not going anywhere, quite sturdy.

I keep stuff up there I don't use often and keep all of my scrap wood up there.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
Taco noob

.28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Haha I'm going to sell it...or maybe I'll just move it. I wish I had somewhere else to park my trailer besides the garage grrrr. then I would have more space. I need a bigger garage! My next house will have a drive-in basement for sure.

They're easy to make, just nail some 2x4's together on 16" centers just like building a wall. Then I've found that nailing some ledgers up first then setting the frame on those makes putting them up easier. Have someone help you obviously because its big and awkward. I screwed them into each stud with 3.5" deck screws, then found the ceiling joists (mine run parallel to the garage door) and screwed the leg & block in. I think I put 3 deck screws into the block on the ceiling. Once the frame is up, then put your 4x8 sheet of plywood on top and screw it into the frame. I climbed up there are laid on it while screwing it in. It's not going anywhere, quite sturdy.

I keep stuff up there I don't use often and keep all of my scrap wood up there.
thanks for the tips.. gonna come in handy. I always thought that was such a waste of space.... I'll get pics up afterwards..
Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #29
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
I only have like a foot gap between my garage door and the sealing. It's a neat idea just not practical for me.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #30
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by .28 View Post
Me...

My 2011 REX now..

i miss my 08, i LOVE the 2011's .. soooo much better than the 08-'10's
Old 02-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #31
Taco noob

.28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxRome View Post
i miss my 08, i LOVE the 2011's .. soooo much better than the 08-'10's
Its a great car. My kid brother is an absolute Subie fanatic and gets pissed at me cause im not absolutely crazy about the power(I hate the turbo lag). But I tell him that its kind of hard to be impressed when coming from a 2011 5.0L.. Love the Scooby, but I still like my Taco better... Wife actually drives the Rex mostly now.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #32
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery

Old 02-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #33
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Littledvl, I really like the wood-burning stove.

Jack, your setup is one of the coolest I've seen! The lift is amazing.

Here's a couple'a pics of my shop. It's an airplane factory

Old 02-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #34
FirsTaco is a name known to allFirsTaco is a name known to allFirsTaco is a name known to allFirsTaco is a name known to allFirsTaco is a name known to allFirsTaco is a name known to all

Army: Military Police various units
Name: Jeff
FirsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Garage View Post

Jack, your setup is one of the coolest I've seen! The lift is amazing.

Here's a couple'a pics of my shop. It's an airplane factory

Nice I was going to ask what model but your screen name cleared that right up. But the most important question now is are you putting the wheel in the correct spot, 7 (the correct one) or 7a (you put the wheel in the wrong spot) ?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #35
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is just a small workshop for now until I can afford to build a real garage. It's only 10x14, but it is more than enough for now. Also it was a bit unorganized when i took these pics.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #36
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by .28 View Post
Its a great car. My kid brother is an absolute Subie fanatic and gets pissed at me cause im not absolutely crazy about the power(I hate the turbo lag). But I tell him that its kind of hard to be impressed when coming from a 2011 5.0L.. Love the Scooby, but I still like my Taco better... Wife actually drives the Rex mostly now.
i think after i pay off the taco im going to get another rex, i miss it but my taco is so versitle and convienent for me
Old 02-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #37
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Macgyver, Jack, and littledvl--your shops are great. I am very jealous and this thread is great for ideas and inspiration for whenever I get around to fixing mine up. Great work!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #38
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Im jelly of that wood stove heater!!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #39
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Garage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs95tacoma View Post
Im jelly of that wood stove heater!!
Thanks, its awesome to have, gets the garage to about 75-80 within 30min, most of the time, after a hour we have to open the door and let it cool down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSkynyrd View Post
Macgyver, Jack, and littledvl--your shops are great. I am very jealous and this thread is great for ideas and inspiration for whenever I get around to fixing mine up. Great work!
Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #40
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait for the former roommate to get his shit out of my garage...so i can finally do some upgrades/organization and post up in here