Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Craftsman chain saw won't start!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Craftsman chain saw won't start!

I have not even a year old Craftsman chain saw, 2cycle 42cc motor, 18" bar. It worked OK until now. Since day one, after it got hot from few hours of use it wouldn't start. It would always start the next day though. I used it a LOT last night for about three hours. It died yesterday and wouldn't start. I couldn't finish the job !

This morning I go finish the job and it won't fire! I spent an HOUR trying to get it to run. I checked the air filter, which is clean, checked the carb which is clean and getting fuel. Checked the spark plug which sparks. It has brand new gas with 40:1 mix.

The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't have enough compression to start.

Any ideas???
Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
YoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant future

Name: Jason
YoaterBoater's Tacoma Gallery
Most common mistake: Killswitch haha. Everything sounds right though. You have taken the carb off and cleaned everything throroughly?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
All new mowers/ saws etc are built with the carbs so lean they hardly run.
I've had to drill my mower/ saw /weed whacker carbs to get to the adjustments just to get them to run ok. Not an easy thing to do.
My suggestion is to get a new plug. put 4 or 5 drops of fuel down the plug hole. install the plug and try it.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a hell of a time the last few years with the ethanol and small engines. The ethanol plays hell on the carbs, sometimes fuel additives help.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoaterBoater View Post
Most common mistake: Killswitch haha.
???? That never happens.......................................:ann oyedgaah:
Old 01-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoaterBoater View Post
Most common mistake: Killswitch
usually this
Old 01-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately, I know a few people that just don't have good luck with Craftsman chainsaws. My father in law seems to always be battling to get his to start.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
All new mowers/ saws etc are built with the carbs so lean they hardly run.
I've had to drill my mower/ saw /weed whacker carbs to get to the adjustments just to get them to run ok. Not an easy thing to do.
My suggestion is to get a new plug. put 4 or 5 drops of fuel down the plug hole. install the plug and try it.
I put fuel in the spark plug hole. Same result. Won't start not even sounds like its attempting to start...

I think even if carb would be clogged or bad, with fuel in the cylinder it "should" start and run for few seconds.

I think this saw is toast
Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
ffbartlett is on a distinguished road

ffbartlett's Tacoma Gallery
try takin the plug out and given it a few pulls. is there a fuel filter in the gas tank?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffbartlett View Post
try takin the plug out and given it a few pulls. is there a fuel filter in the gas tank?
Already did that dont know if there is a fuel filter...
Old 01-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
Now even if the fuel mixture wasn't exactly right the saw should still start right?
It should at least try.
you have spark you said
air filter not plugged
does it seen to turn over easier than before ??
could have seized the rings in the piston for no compression.

most of the crap now is use and throw away.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
It should at least try.
you have spark you said
air filter not plugged
does it seen to turn over easier than before ??
could have seized the rings in the piston for no compression.

most of the crap now is use and throw away.
Can't notice much difference in how hard is it to pull... I would say its tad easier...

Yes good point I should have bought a better quality saw... I thought that if I use it once a month it would be ok... Guess not.

It has 2 year warranty, I will take it to Sears service center and see what they say.

Funny thing is that in the morning I tried to start it and it fired. I shut it off, hour later won't start at all, not even sounds like it tries to start.

I am thinking even if it was straight gas and no oil, it should still start, just wouldn't run very well and would burn up the engine... BUT I put oil in the gas...
Old 01-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
Can't notice much difference in how hard is it to pull... I would say its tad easier...

Yes good point I should have bought a better quality saw... I thought that if I use it once a month it would be ok... Guess not.

It has 2 year warranty, I will take it to Sears service center and see what they say.

Funny thing is that in the morning I tried to start it and it fired. I shut it off, hour later won't start at all, not even sounds like it tries to start.

I am thinking even if it was straight gas and no oil, it should still start, just wouldn't run very well and would burn up the engine... BUT I put oil in the gas...
piston could have scored the cylinder walls. if the its a little easier to pull that might be the case. take it to a saw shop and have them look at it?