Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Garage Door Issues

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Garage Door Issues

So we have a sectional door with windows on our standard 2 car garage. A couple of years ago the crappy screw drive opener took a dump so I bought a Craftsman 3/4hp belt drive unit. Everything was good for 2ish years. Last month a spring broke so we had them replaces. I would have done them myself but I don't have the unloading bars and I didn't know where to get the spring. Every since the guy we hired worked on it the opener sounded like it was struggling a bit. Also it sounded like it was trying to rip the door from the well. Well today the panel that the opener arm attaches to was pull off the door almost completely. This panel is screwed into the door but it just stripped the holes. I'm thinking the dude didn't set the correct tension when he replaced the springs. WTF is going on?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I forgot to add that my uncle said he saw the guy messing with the settings on the opener. He then asked how for instructions on how to adjust the open/close force on the unit. Well i know that this unit has an auto adjust but there is no manual adjustment.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to adjust the opening force. If not, maybe the spring is too tight.

As for fixing the door, mine did that once when I forgot I had the slide lock locked into the track and I tried to open the door. I just replaced the screws with some bolts w/ nuts and washers.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
You should be able to adjust the opening force. If not, maybe the spring is too tight.

As for fixing the door, mine did that once when I forgot I had the slide lock locked into the track and I tried to open the door. I just replaced the screws with some bolts w/ nuts and washers.
Well it self adjusts the opening force. You tell it to adjust and it will automatically adjust the opening and close force when you tell the opener which one to adjust. I will take a look at the manual again. If the springs have too much tension the door would want to pop open right?

As for the door I will probably come home to a new door because my uncle doesn't like to deal with this stuff.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Banned
Force adjustment procedures from the manual:

ADJUSTMENT STEP 2
Set the Force
Theforce setting measuresthe amountof force requiredto
openand close the door.
1. Push the purple button twice to enter into the ForceAdjustment
Mode (Figure 2). The LEDwill flash quickly.
2. Push the door control or programmed remotecontrol. The door
will close (DOWN) (Figure 3).
3. Push the door control or programmed remotecontrol again.The
door will open (UP).
4. Push the door control or programmed remotecontrol a third
time to closethe door (DOWN).
The LEDwill stop flashing when the force has beenprogrammed.
The door must travel through a complete cycle, up and down, in
order for the force to beset properly. If the garagedoor opener
cannotopen and closethe door fully, inspect the door to ensure
that it is balancedproperly and is not sticking or binding.
If the door is not stopping exactlywhere you would like it, repeat
Program the TravelLimits
Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
check the "balance " first thing. i always got the door to stay mid level to start the process. I'm not familiar with the auto adjust. My genie chain has manual setting for up and down but they really want the door neutral. I also added a reinforcement plate the shape of a "T" where it attached to the door. Help spread the load. If it pulled it away then i'm thinking the springs are not tight enough. Pull your emergency handle and cycle the door by hand. If it feels heavy to lift then it's to loose. It should also go by itself the last section of door almost up. Double check your down and up stops if there is a manual adj.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
check the "balance " first thing. i always got the door to stay mid level to start the process. I'm not familiar with the auto adjust. My genie chain has manual setting for up and down but they really want the door neutral. I also added a reinforcement plate the shape of a "T" where it attached to the door. Help spread the load. If it pulled it away then i'm thinking the springs are not tight enough. Pull your emergency handle and cycle the door by hand. If it feels heavy to lift then it's to loose. It should also go by itself the last section of door almost up. Double check your down and up stops if there is a manual adj.
Yeah I'm really thinking this guy that worked on it didn't set the tension correctly. All was good until that moron came to change the springs out. I'm not buying a new door. I'll take off the bracket and straighten it out then I will add some kind of reinforcement. I will also have to pick up some spring bars so I can adjust the tension. Lastly I will let the unit auto adjust the force and I will adjust open and close points. No stop sensors to move with this unit. It is all digital.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
sounds more like a garbage door opener.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yeah I'm really thinking this guy that worked on it didn't set the tension correctly. All was good until that moron came to change the springs out. I'm not buying a new door. I'll take off the bracket and straighten it out then I will add some kind of reinforcement. I will also have to pick up some spring bars so I can adjust the tension. Lastly I will let the unit auto adjust the force and I will adjust open and close points. No stop sensors to move with this unit. It is all digital.

Thanks for your help.
NP

Here is a pic of my reinforcement. spreads the stress along both stringers.
you can box it and put a plate on the outside and paint it and sandwich the door in between...
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Door Issues-garagedoor.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd Boss View Post
sounds more like a garbage door opener.
Well it kinda is but only because there is a bunch of crap lying around because my uncle is a horder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
NP

Here is a pic of my reinforcement. spreads the stress along both stringers.
you can box it and put a plate on the outside and paint it and sandwich the door in between...
May I ask where you got that from? I will post pics of the damage later today. For now I told my uncle to manually open it and I hit the lock so no one uses their remote or the keypad to open it.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Well it kinda is but only because there is a bunch of crap lying around because my uncle is a horder.

May I ask where you got that from? I will post pics of the damage later today. For now I told my uncle to manually open it and I hit the lock so no one uses their remote or the keypad to open it.
I went right to the hardware store and started looking around. i knew what i wanted and this fit the bill perfectly.

I don't remember what they called it sorry. I'm sure a big box store ( which names will not be spoken) should have something similar if the mom and pop hardware won't have it.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
You can find those in the lumber section at home depot or lowes where they keep all the joist hangers.

Yeah you're right it's too loose. Good call.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #14

Crap.
don't look like hardly anything is holding that reinforcement on.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Banned
I count 5 bolts. 2 at the bottom, 2 that also hold the mount for the opener arm and one on top holding the metal deflector to the door.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #16

Quote:
I count 5 bolts. 2 at the bottom, 2 that also hold the mount for the opener arm and one on top holding the metal deflector to the door.
Ok .Kind of hard to see in the pic..
Is it a composite sandwich between the outer layers ??
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #17
Banned
Correction. There are 2 tiny screws not bolts on the bottom.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Correction. There are 2 tiny screws not bolts on the bottom.
That's just gay... No strength there.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
+1 w/ what tacoma mike was saying, ..i'd probably check the counter torque/force too, like he said by pulling the opener disconnect and try opening it manually - i think if it's done right, ..the door should basically stay nearyl motionless ("balanced") when near fully closed position...

get that fixed if necessary, then reinforce the attachment point similar to what tacoma mike did
Old 02-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Banned
The door feels heavy when opened manually. It will fall of I let it go unless it is fully opened.

Products Discussed in this Thread