Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

saw horse rebuilding

Old 02-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
saw horse rebuilding

Got a pair of sawhorses from the homies dad yesterday. Took them apart today to get some sanding and painting (also want to replace all the bolts/washers/etc. due to the original ones being very rusted). These are fairly old sawhorses BUT the good thing is that they are all metal but the top cross bar (it was made from 2x4 wood), now being all old and well unable to use them anymore, want to replace the wood pieces with some decent aluminum cross bars. anyone know where to get some? the length of the original crossbar (well one that somewhat survived through the years) isn't that long. Also can't go that long anyhow seeing is that the side support plates aren't that long either. the maker of these is Hirsh.
Attached Thumbnails
saw horse rebuilding-photo0640.jpg  
Old 02-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Could you use a steel wall stud cut down to length?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Or something like this

Old 02-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Could you use a steel wall stud cut down to length?
would that be okay to use? I will be mainly using this to cut down mdf and such. I want to counter sink the holes for the bolts to go into so it sits flush and won't have to worry about the mdf or what Im cutting lifting a little due to the bolt sticking up.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

If you cant find them...you could probably take steel studs, and rip down a 2x4 and make your own
Old 02-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #8

did some sanding but ran out of sand paper got both disassembled except for one - has a rusted bolt. picked up a drill from the homie, yet another freebie, even came with a counter sink bit ).

here's how they were before I got sanding. and the drill I got kicked down with (just picked it up a couple of minutes ago when the homie got to his pad).
Attached Thumbnails
saw horse rebuilding-photo0644.jpg   saw horse rebuilding-photo0645.jpg  
Old 02-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #10

went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of new screws and nylon washers for the support plates as well as the chuck wrench from HF. no pix yet, just got to it since it's raining. WOOO on a adrenalin rush right now

Put them both together for mock up and looking good!!! have a homie that is kicking me down with some 2x4's so all I have to do is get the wall studs. Other than that, all that's left is a little more sanding, primer and paint
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Just my $0.02 but my old man as an old set of metal saw horses with wooden tops and the wood top is one of the best features. If you happen to screw up and knick the top with a blade, it doesn't do any damage to the blade and only leaves a small mark in the easily replacable 2x4. Just me, but I wouldn't want a metal top on a saw horse.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Just my $0.02 but my old man as an old set of metal saw horses with wooden tops and the wood top is one of the best features. If you happen to screw up and knick the top with a blade, it doesn't do any damage to the blade and only leaves a small mark in the easily replacable 2x4. Just me, but I wouldn't want a metal top on a saw horse.
what threw me off the wooden tops is the wear and tear from the yrs. I took one look at the original ones that was already on the sawhorse ... I damn near got disgusted and didn't take them. But looking at them more I started to see how easy they were to fix. I'm getting hooked up with some 2x4 from the homie, so I have yet to buy the reg. steel wall studs.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #13

here is how they look as of now. bought all new support brace screws and nylon lock nuts, just reused the lock washers since they weren't so bad imo. Just waiting for more funds so I can sand more, primer and then paint them and slap a decal on them just for the hell of it.
Attached Thumbnails
saw horse rebuilding-photo0646.jpg  
Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #14

16 new screws and nylon lock nuts. will be swapping out the older ones up top too, just put them all together for mock up so I have room in the garage as well as a look at how they hold up. VERY happy right now
Attached Thumbnails
saw horse rebuilding-photo0650.jpg