Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Drawing Board

Old 02-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Drawing Board

So I've had this drawing board for a few years...I snagged it when my mom quit doing graphic design...it's in great shape and has now become my work table in my apartment for things I dont feel like doing in the garage...such as gun cleaning etc

The problem is that the surface of it needs to be covered...lots of old cuts and glue etc from back in the day and it's no longer as smooth as I'd like

Anyone have suggestions for a new surface? Requirements being non-porous and somewhat hard so i can write against it if necessary...even better if it has white-board capabilities

I want no seams, so it'll need to be a 30"x42" sheet of something

Plywood is out because it's too rough and porous...and thick and heavy
Old 02-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
You can buy Dry Erase board.. usually about a 1/4" thick, gloss white surface and you can write on it with dry erase markers.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

good to know that is an option

I was thinking a good thin laminate (like flooring or countertop) would work well
Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
You can also apply dry erase laminate over top of whatever you decide to use to make it into a writable surface.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

They make dry erase laminate? because that would be perfect!

The only reason i'm refinishing it is because of the old cuts and glue all over it...and it's ugly
Old 02-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
They make dry erase laminate? because that would be perfect!

The only reason i'm refinishing it is because of the old cuts and glue all over it...and it's ugly
It's a clear vinyl laminate.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

interesting

can I buy this at lowes? approx. how much $ per sq ft am I looking at?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
interesting

can I buy this at lowes? approx. how much $ per sq ft am I looking at?
Probably not but I've never been to Lowe's. If you have any Sign shops in your area they should have it. To be clear this is a laminate you apply the same as a vinyl decal over top of what ever you decide to recover your table with.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:19 AM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Could I not just apply this over the current table top if I scrape/sand all the glue spots etc?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 AM   #10
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Could I not just apply this over the current table top if I scrape/sand all the glue spots etc?
Sure, if it's smooth you wouldn't have a problem. It's basically just a big clear sticker.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
you should get a thin layer of steel or some kind of metal so you won't have to worry about gouges/slices in the future. you could also clean with different chemicals/scrape with a razor and not have to worry about damaging it.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewH View Post
Sure, if it's smooth you wouldn't have a problem. It's basically just a big clear sticker.
I'm just concerned about the durability of it...i may just skip the being able to write on it part for something like this VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
you should get a thin layer of steel or some kind of metal so you won't have to worry about gouges/slices in the future. you could also clean with different chemicals/scrape with a razor and not have to worry about damaging it.
good idea...i'll have to look into finding some decent looking thin sheet and someone to cut it for me

The only thing is I think steel would clash with my living room (says the guy who is building a work bench FOR his living room
Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
just get a sheet of hardboard at your local building supply / home center store... that should hold up plenty good..
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Get a piece of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. Roundover the edges with a router or sander. Stain it if you'd like, Then apply some of that liquid glass epoxy resin they use on bar tops.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Get a piece of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. Roundover the edges with a router or sander. Stain it if you'd like, Then apply some of that liquid glass epoxy resin they use on bar tops.
This is a good idea. If you want, put a dry erase section across the back or along one of the sides so you could jot notes while you work but not be working on the dry erase board.

If you like the wood look, get whatever wood you prefer and put a piece of plexiglass on the top. That works as a dry erase surface, will take a beating (might have to be replaced in a couple years) and allows you to replace the top piece of plexi and not have to refinish the wood below.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
If you decide not to do the steel or the wood, I believe hobby lobby has the material to replace the surface. I believe it comes in a roll. I think it's called something like drafting board covering or something like that. I'll look for the link

Well I couldn't find it on the Hobby Lobby site but I did find this...
http://www.officesupersavers.com/vie...FQPe4Aodgnjqcw
Old 02-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Other than the 3/4 plywood, I like this idea best

I'm betting I can write on that resin too

I'll go with a little bit thinner plywood though...probably find something in the 1/4 area because the table top is already 3/4 thick and I don't want to make it more of a pain to move around
Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #18
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Other than the 3/4 plywood, I like this idea best

I'm betting I can write on that resin too

I'll go with a little bit thinner plywood though...probably find something in the 1/4 area because the table top is already 3/4 thick and I don't want to make it more of a pain to move around
Well when I said 3/4 ply I meant replacing the tabletop entirely with a new one. Sure, you could veneer a sheet of 1/4" ply to the existing top. Just use some contact cement on both surfaces and make sure the existing top is clean and free of debris and oils or residues to ensure the glue sticks.

...Still waiting on someone to make a "back to the drawing board" comment when the time is right.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Use Lexan sheeting.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own...ry-Erase-Board)

They have the sheets at Home Depot. I've made motorcycle shields out of it.

It cuts and drills nicely so there's no worry about cracking.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
1/16" thick stainless sheet would be nice.

not cheap though Im guessing.