Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Maytag fridge/freezer ice maker water freezing?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Maytag fridge/freezer ice maker water freezing?

Yes, I know, that's what it's supposed to do. But it's doing it on the halfpipe from the rear of freezer to the ice maker. I squirted hot water on it last week to melt it off. And within a week the thing is frozen, not allowing any water to the ice maker. Any suggestions??
Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Yes, I know, that's what it's supposed to do. But it's doing it on the halfpipe from the rear of freezer to the ice maker. I squirted hot water on it last week to melt it off. And within a week the thing is frozen, not allowing any water to the ice maker. Any suggestions??
This is what I do for a living. You either have low water pressure to the fridge, or a leaking fill valve.

If you have a reverse osmosis system (RO), that is the likely culprit. They only run at 30-35psi when everything is perfect, and they drop under any kind of load (filling a pot at the tap on the sink). The fridge needs 30 psi constant to hold the icemaker fill valve closed. If it drops too far, water leaks into that fill tube one drop at a time and freezes.

It's possible the valve itself is bad, but I don't see that often on Maytags. Usually we check the water pressure and it's low. If you have RO, the solution is to call the RO guys and have them get the pressure back up where it needs to be. It's not going to be the first time they've heard of this problem.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
This is what I do for a living. You either have low water pressure to the fridge, or a leaking fill valve.

If you have a reverse osmosis system (RO), that is the likely culprit. They only run at 30-35psi when everything is perfect, and they drop under any kind of load (filling a pot at the tap on the sink). The fridge needs 30 psi constant to hold the icemaker fill valve closed. If it drops too far, water leaks into that fill tube one drop at a time and freezes.

It's possible the valve itself is bad, but I don't see that often on Maytags. Usually we check the water pressure and it's low. If you have RO, the solution is to call the RO guys and have them get the pressure back up where it needs to be. It's not going to be the first time they've heard of this problem.
Yes I do have the RO. I'll give them a call. I have been noticing the RO tank under the sink has been making a vibrating de-compression sound when using the RO water.