Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Coat Rusty Trailer w/ ATF Fluid. Question about paint.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
taco king
snoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shed
snoozeworm's Tacoma Gallery
Coat Rusty Trailer w/ ATF Fluid. Question about paint.

Well i have a utility trailer that i use for my lawncare buisness. In the winter it is used to transport my atv / snow plow and is exposed to the road salt of wv. Needless to say...its rusty.

I have tried wire brushing and painting it twice before, and it always comes back, so this year i used a trick from an older fellow and wire brushed the rust off and covered it in Automatic Transmission Fluid (using a paint brush). He said it'll be messy, stinky and ugly, but stops the rust...I'd say hes right.

My question is, would i be able to roll on an oil based undercoating or paint over that ATF? I thought that if i used a roller that the paint would mix with the ATF and eventually dry. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
nomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
get a rust inhibitor. Dont use ATF. I have some GMP Rustech that stops the rust it actually turns purple/black and then I have painted over it and it lasts. There are plenty of other products that do the same thing.

Also I dont see an oil based paint going over ATF fluid and working out. Just doesnt seem like the right approach here. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
taco king
snoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinda late...I already covered it in ATF. Looking for a sealant of some type now
Old 03-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
taco king
well i just wiped down the excess fluid and hit it with 10 bucks worth of industrial black spray paint. I'd say if you don't care about looks (or a mess) that this is a good, cheap way to prevent rust, but only time will tell.