Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Quikrete garage paint

Old 03-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quikrete garage paint

now i iwork at lowes and always see this that i want to go to my garage :

but: its 178 bucks (i only get 10% discount working there) and dont want to pay that.

Quikrete also makes stuff exactly like this:

its $28 and i could pick from about 15-20 colors that they can mix for me, unlike the top one that only has 3 colors to choose from...

thoughts?

should i suck it up and get the top one or get the second one and pick up the color flakes that is 10 bucks to add?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Seasonal hire? Me too. I work in paint.

I'd go with the epoxy seal, I don't think I've seen that kit in our store and since its far more expensive I'd think it would just be easier to get the cheaper product and reapply as/if needed.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
i been there for almost 2 years now, im and unloader in recieving and when we dont have trucks they put us in various departments throughout the store and always wondered what to get
Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wade
65tacodude's Tacoma Gallery
Id say get the cheaper, but as in any paint work, it all in how you prep the surface.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Houston's Swamp Rat

wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
That what I'm leaning towards. Just wanted to see if anyone here has experience with the top one
Old 03-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
The top one works great. I used it in a few of the rental properties my parents own. Its all about the prep work. It comes with the cleaner and the flakes. The floor is still holding up strong even after several renters from the past 4 years.

I never tried the cheaper stuff, but I wouldn't imagine why it won't work just as well. Just get Bear garage floor cleaner and a scraper, then get the bag of flakes, you should be g2g
Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Houston's Swamp Rat

wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
The top one works great. I used it in a few of the rental properties my parents own. Its all about the prep work. It comes with the cleaner and the flakes. The floor is still holding up strong even after several renters from the past 4 years.

I never tried the cheaper stuff, but I wouldn't imagine why it won't work just as well. Just get Bear garage floor cleaner and a scraper, then get the bag of flakes, you should be g2g
Yeah I was gonna go with the cheaper can. I already have heavy duty floor stripper
Old 03-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the 2-part solvent based epoxy and PREP PREP PREP AND MORE PREP. the key to a good paint job is 90% prep and 10% painting. Don't use that cleaner/etcher stuff they put in the kit. Go buy a bottle of muriatic acid and use it for your etching. Use some TSP and purple power degreaser to clean the floor. Squeegee it dry and wait AT LEAST 24 hours to ensure the concrete is dry before you apply the paint. I waited about 36 hours. I had 4 box fans blowing in the garage for that whole 36 hours to make sure it was completely dry.

I did the rustoleum 2-part kit last year in my garage. They only peeling I have is where I dripped some wood glue on the floor on accident and when I scraped it up, it took a small dime sized piece of the expoxy with it. Everywhere else is holding up great.

Total prep time took me about 3-4 hours on a friday night. I let it dry all day saturday. Then painted on sunday around noon. Painting only took about 30 minutes.

The 1 part stuff is garbage, don't waste your time. It will peel up. I've used it in the past at another house.

I think I'm going to add the clear acrylic top coat to mine this year.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
mrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Single Anchor Single-Seat Master Race
mrw3685's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Macgyver....as always(pun)...with the Rustoleum 2-part epoxy floor coating. I applied it to the garage at my house, it was a brand new pour, and it has held up magnificently. Did almost exactly what is described above, and didn't park a car on it for about 2 weeks, and I don't think it's peeling up anywhere after 4 years. Throwing the flakes against the ceiling and letting them spread naturally works the best, and you need a friend to do it immediately after painting a spot, or they won't soak in a bit and stick. Blue painters tape made a perfect line at the opening of the garage, and when they say you have 0+50-1+30 minutes to apply based off of temperature or whatever, they mean it. This stuff starts getting massively stick and then hard as a rock as it drys.