1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quikrete garage paint

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by wrxRome, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Mar 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    wrxRome

wrxRome [OP] Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    now i iwork at lowes and always see this that i want to go to my garage :

[​IMG]

but: its 178 bucks (i only get 10% discount working there) and dont want to pay that.

Quikrete also makes stuff exactly like this:

[​IMG]

its $28 and i could pick from about 15-20 colors that they can mix for me, unlike the top one that only has 3 colors to choose from...

thoughts?

should i suck it up and get the top one or get the second one and pick up the color flakes that is 10 bucks to add?

2. Mar 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Seasonal hire? Me too. I work in paint.

I'd go with the epoxy seal, I don't think I've seen that kit in our store and since its far more expensive I'd think it would just be easier to get the cheaper product and reapply as/if needed.

3. Mar 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    wrxRome

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    i been there for almost 2 years now, im and unloader in recieving and when we dont have trucks they put us in various departments throughout the store and always wondered what to get

4. Mar 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    Id say get the cheaper, but as in any paint work, it all in how you prep the surface.

5. Mar 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    wrxRome

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    That what I'm leaning towards. Just wanted to see if anyone here has experience with the top one

6. Mar 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    The top one works great. I used it in a few of the rental properties my parents own. Its all about the prep work. It comes with the cleaner and the flakes. The floor is still holding up strong even after several renters from the past 4 years.

I never tried the cheaper stuff, but I wouldn't imagine why it won't work just as well. Just get Bear garage floor cleaner and a scraper, then get the bag of flakes, you should be g2g

7. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    wrxRome

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    Yeah I was gonna go with the cheaper can. I already have heavy duty floor stripper

8. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Go with the 2-part solvent based epoxy and PREP PREP PREP AND MORE PREP. the key to a good paint job is 90% prep and 10% painting. Don't use that cleaner/etcher stuff they put in the kit. Go buy a bottle of muriatic acid and use it for your etching. Use some TSP and purple power degreaser to clean the floor. Squeegee it dry and wait AT LEAST 24 hours to ensure the concrete is dry before you apply the paint. I waited about 36 hours. I had 4 box fans blowing in the garage for that whole 36 hours to make sure it was completely dry.

I did the rustoleum 2-part kit last year in my garage. They only peeling I have is where I dripped some wood glue on the floor on accident and when I scraped it up, it took a small dime sized piece of the expoxy with it. Everywhere else is holding up great.

Total prep time took me about 3-4 hours on a friday night. I let it dry all day saturday. Then painted on sunday around noon. Painting only took about 30 minutes.

The 1 part stuff is garbage, don't waste your time. It will peel up. I've used it in the past at another house.

I think I'm going to add the clear acrylic top coat to mine this year.

9. May 5, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    mrw3685

mrw3685 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX by way of KS
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner TRD
    Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100s all around, set at .85, Allpro Expedition Leaf Pack, Procomp 7036 17x9, w/Nitto Trail Grappler 285/70/17, Extended Steel Braided Brake Lines, Red-Line Hood lift, Relocated Trailer Connection, Trimmed Front Fender.
    I agree with Macgyver....as always(pun)...with the Rustoleum 2-part epoxy floor coating. I applied it to the garage at my house, it was a brand new pour, and it has held up magnificently. Did almost exactly what is described above, and didn't park a car on it for about 2 weeks, and I don't think it's peeling up anywhere after 4 years. Throwing the flakes against the ceiling and letting them spread naturally works the best, and you need a friend to do it immediately after painting a spot, or they won't soak in a bit and stick. Blue painters tape made a perfect line at the opening of the garage, and when they say you have 0+50-1+30 minutes to apply based off of temperature or whatever, they mean it. This stuff starts getting massively stick and then hard as a rock as it drys.

Products Discussed in

To Top