Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Any plumbers? Shower help

Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Any plumbers? Shower help

So my shower has always been super hard to turn off and even with it "off" It would still drip a little. I replaced both broaches as well as the circle square thing behind the broach.....after all that the shit still leaks...it seems it's leaking even more now, wtf! Is it possible I have the wrong broach installed? I got the same exact one I replaced.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Stew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to behold

Name: Stew
Stew's Tacoma Gallery
not a plumber but I maintain an apartment complex so I might can help. I'm not familiar with the term broach related to faucets though I assume you're talking about the diverter, and since you said both I assume you have a two handle faucet and not a single handle correct?

First things first what brand is it and what model?

http://www.faucetpartsplus.com/category_s/28.htm

If you can find it on there, each type has a different number of parts. Its clearly not sealing right, did you check with your finger and a flashlight while you had it apart to see that there was nothing foreign in the pipe or make sure it had no dents or dings where water could pass. I know it sounds strange and with it so isolated seems impossible but I've seen many things happen inside pipes I would've never imagined could happen. If its always been hard to turn something could've been installed wrong you may want to try taking the parts out you put in and moving them around to see if they fit better another way.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the reply stew. I think broach is the size of the valve stem..pretty sure I just meant valve stem like the one below. It is a two handle shower.

The second piece I replaced that goes behind the stem is in this picture (the small piece in the middle)

I figured it was the cold water valve only because the water that was dripping was cold. I started there and after removing the stem, I noticed the piece behind it in the above picture was no longer seated in the threads. I removed it and when I pulled it out, it was broken. Brand new piece separated from the threads. Picked a new one up this morning and bam, no more leaks. I am just surprised that it broke so easily. I may have tightened it too much the first time.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
PM Brutalguyracing

He's a turd burglar
Old 03-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
PM Brutalguyracing

He's a turd burglar
Is he a plumber or a pipe-fitter?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Is he a plumber or a pipe-fitter?

Not sure how NY classifies them.

Here your a plumber or a steam fitter.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
PM Brutalguyracing

He's a turd burglar
Again, congrats.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure how NY classifies them.

Here your a plumber or a steam fitter.
Just a union joke, a pipe fitter only deals with clean pipe, a plumber is the one you call when your toilet backs up
Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Again, congrats.

Fuck you asshole
Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
If you replaced the stem then it should not leak, Sounds like you got it solved, replacing the whole assembly is so cheap. Anymore so I just replace everything if I cannot re adjust the valve stem to keep it from leaking anymore. I am not a plumber but I have owned 3 homes and have done my own maintenance.

What's the difference between a doctor and a plumber?
A doctor washes his hands AFTER he has gone potty, but a plumber washes his hands BEFORE he goes potty.
- provided by David Zuckerman of A All Types Plumbing, Utah

Some humor that is so true.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
I have a spectacular aura
Bryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud of

Bryan139's Tacoma Gallery
It's possible that you can have the wrong stem. Even though they look the same they could be slightly off or use different o-rings. I'm not a plumber, but I work in the plumbing wholesale field. We sell plumbers the parts to fix your stuff. This is where we buy our parts from that we sell to them. It should help you match up what you have and make sure you have the correct replacement. Do you know who makes the one you bought?

http://www.kissler.com/Downloads/Fau...Stems%20_B.pdf
Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
It wasn't the wrong valve stem, in fact it wasn't the stem at all. It was the piece that goes behind the stem. I bought two of these little guys and 2 new stems which is why I was baffled as to why it was leaking since I had just put all new stuff in..turns out the brass pieces I bought was broken and thats why it was leaking...pics below of what it should look like and where it broke

Old 03-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Any plumbers? Shower help-dfgh.jpg  
Old 03-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
I have a spectacular aura
Bryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud of

Bryan139's Tacoma Gallery
That's awesome you got it fixed cuz there's about 60 pages of stems to choose from.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
I got the stems at lowes..they had maybe 20 to choose from. I just got the same one I had previously
Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
DirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud of
DirtJumper14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
It's called a seat btw. The brass is soft and doesn't like to be over tightened. Not all plumbers get dirty. That's why I am a commercial plumber. All new clean pipe. New buildings are where it's at. Screw chasing turds and dealing with peoples dirty clogged pipes, for the birds. Fitters usually deal with steam or the guys that assemble the piping for refineries and the piping you would see in a beer manufacturing plant, etc.... Glad you got it fingered out.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
Stew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to behold

Name: Stew
Stew's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you got it figured out