LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Heat Pump not cooling...

Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

EMS: Giles Rescue
Name: Josh
resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Heat Pump not cooling...

As title says....I noticed my lines were also freezing over on front of coil inside. So I called my cousin (hvac certified for 6 yrs) and he said it was probably low on freon. So he came up yesterday and immediately saw an oil spot under the outside unit. My unit is approximately 15 years old I do believe. He said he thinks either the coil around outside unit is leaking or something else. Either way he thinks the refrigerant line has a leak and the fact that its so old and parts in unit are so costly, I should replace outside unit and inside coil. He quoted me a price for all that and labor (2.5 ton unit I think) for $2000.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Offhand, I think that sounds like a good price for replacing both units.

Seems like last time we replaced only the inside unit, it was at least $1200, I think more, and that was 6 or 7 years ago.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Your title says "heat pump not cooling". Are you trying to cool your house? Seems a little early for AC. If you are in fact trying to cool the house, there should be no frost on the outside unit. If there is frost on the outside unit when in AC mode, it would appear to me that the reversing valve is not being energized (stuck in heat mode).

Probably a typo, but thought I would ask.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Trust me it's not too early for AC on the east coast.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Crazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
Crazyfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by resq330 View Post
As title says....I noticed my lines were also freezing over on front of coil inside. So I called my cousin (hvac certified for 6 yrs) and he said it was probably low on freon. So he came up yesterday and immediately saw an oil spot under the outside unit. My unit is approximately 15 years old I do believe. He said he thinks either the coil around outside unit is leaking or something else. Either way he thinks the refrigerant line has a leak and the fact that its so old and parts in unit are so costly, I should replace outside unit and inside coil. He quoted me a price for all that and labor (2.5 ton unit I think) for $2000.

That's about half of the normal sale price from an actual place of business.
At 15 years old, dont even think about fixing it.

I would say your cousin is just covering his cost of goods, and keeping enough from the labor side for some beer money.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

EMS: Giles Rescue
Name: Josh
resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Your title says "heat pump not cooling". Are you trying to cool your house? Seems a little early for AC. If you are in fact trying to cool the house, there should be no frost on the outside unit. If there is frost on the outside unit when in AC mode, it would appear to me that the reversing valve is not being energized (stuck in heat mode).

Probably a typo, but thought I would ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Trust me it's not too early for AC on the east coast.

Yeah, As joneill said, it's not too early on the east coast. It got 85+ in my house last week.

I think I'm going to come out even better than I first thought.

I was discussing all of this with my neighbor and he said he had a 4 year old Rheem outside unit that he would sell me for $300! My cousin and I went down and looked at it Friday evening! Looks like it will work!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, As joneill said, it's not too early on the east coast. It got 85+ in my house last week.

I think I'm going to come out even better than I first thought.

I was discussing all of this with my neighbor and he said he had a 4 year old Rheem outside unit that he would sell me for $300! My cousin and I went down and looked at it Friday evening! Looks like it will work!
Yep, it's been in the 80's here in GA the last few weeks with relatively high humidity. I've been running my AC, the humidity is what makes you sweat and uncomfortable.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
15 years is a good long run. the price sounds good too. I have a friend that owns an HVAC company, and he installed a 2.5 ton unit for me a couple years ago. It was about 2k.
Money well spent.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Is he going to change out the tubing from the compressor to the A coil inside the house?