Notices

Auto Shop Damaged my truck

Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
01 5 speed
taco52 is on a distinguished road

Name: Trevor
taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Auto Shop Damaged my truck

I took our 05 Duramax to the local shop to get the fuel filters fixed and the abs fixed. When i brought the truck home I noticed some pretty bad damage to the roof. At first i thought it could be from our slide in truck camper but then at a closer look i could tell the damage was fresh. It was either from the garage door at the shop falling down on it or lifting the truck up too high and hitting the roof.

What should i do about the damage? Has anything similar happened to you?

The damage goes all the way across the roof and there is fresh dust on the dent

Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Contact the shop and ask to speak to the owner ASAP
Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
I assume that you went back and told them about it -- their shop's insurance should cover the damages. Talk to the manager -- I would bet that one of the workers knows good and well that it happened and hoped that you wouldn't notice. If it's a one-man operation and he doesn't make things right you will probably have to call your insurance company (if you have comprehensive) and let them deal with him and his insurance company.

Edit: I see that you mentioned that you have a slide-in camper. Those things can dent your roof when slid in or sometimes if you hit a bump. Check your camper for paint the color of your truck or protrusions that match the dents to make sure that this isn't the case before accusing the shop owner. I'd either put my camper in the bed or measure it to see if the front of it exactly comes up to the dent line too. If it does then you might have found the problem. If it doesn't then, like you said, maybe it was a garage door. Before going back to the shop though if you have a wife or kid, etc. make sure that they didn't do it.

If you go back to the shop look above their lift for something up there that matches the dent pattern in you truck (maybe a shop door opener or beam). If you see the culprit, take a photo of it for your records. Also check to see if their door has an electric eye sensor that won't let it come down on a truck.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
01 5 speed

taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
I assume that you went back and told them about it -- their shop's insurance should cover the damages. Talk to the manager -- I would bet that one of the workers knows good and well that it happened and hoped that you wouldn't notice. If it's a one-man operation and he doesn't make things right you will probably have to call your insurance company (if you have comprehensive) and let them deal with him and his insurance company.

Edit: I see that you mentioned that you have a slide-in camper. Those things can dent your roof when slid in or sometimes if you hit a bump. Check your camper for paint the color of your truck or protrusions that match the dents to make sure that this isn't the case before accusing the shop owner. If you go back to the shop look above their lift for something up there that matches the dent pattern in you truck (maybe a shop door opener?). If you see the culprit, take a photo of it for your records.
it was Definatly the shop because the camper has not been on the truck for 4-5 months. I will talk to the owner of the shop asap. I am pissed by the damage and since the shop is small they may or may not fix it. We have done a lot of business there and hopefully they will just fess up and admit to the damage.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
see really your problem here is that you have a general motors vehicle.....
Nah just kidding
I would be super pissed
Old 03-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
01 5 speed

taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
see really your problem here is that you have a general motors vehicle.....
Nah just kidding
I would be super pissed
Pulls like a train. Used for the horses. Well i stopped by the shop today to see if the owner was there today. He was not. On monday we will be going back and raising hell in the shop. Will update on how it goes and what the owner says about the damage. Should be interesting.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
01 5 speed

taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
Good luck on Monday. That really sucks I hate when people don't fess up when they fuck shit up that isn't there's. I deal with people like that on a daily basis at work.
Yeah i know what you mean. It pisses me off. Just fess up. Its not the end of the world and then if you do its not going to come back and bite you in the ass
Old 03-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit thats big time. Make them pay
Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
It appears to be lifted to high on the hoist?
x2, looks like they went too high with the lift...
Old 03-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco52 View Post
Pulls like a train. Used for the horses. Well i stopped by the shop today to see if the owner was there today. He was not. On monday we will be going back and raising hell in the shop. Will update on how it goes and what the owner says about the damage. Should be interesting.
yeah too bad toyota doesnt make a truck with that much towing power
Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
03SilverTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
03SilverTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
yeah too bad toyota doesnt make a truck with that much towing power

Tundra....
Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Blueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Blueberry's Tacoma Gallery
GOOD LORD! That last pic really shows how bad it is! Yeah I'd be driving back down to that shop immediately. Find out what lift your truck was on and look up at the ceiling to see if you can find out what possibly made those indentations.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SilverTacoma View Post
Tundra....
Fail 🚚
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SilverTacoma View Post
Tundra....
I would not compare the Tundra to a Duramax... The Tundra is a decent truck but the heavy hauler diesels are a much better choice if you do a lot of towing.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
01 5 speed

taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I would not compare the Tundra to a Duramax... The Tundra is a decent truck but the heavy hauler diesels are a much better choice if you do a lot of towing.
Defiantly diesels are the best choice for towing hands down.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #20
01 5 speed

taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Update!!!

I went to the shop this morning and walked in and asked to talk to the manager. He said no problem and we stepped outside. I asked him if he knew anything about the damage on the roof. He said no but went back to his guys and talked to them about it. The worker that did it wasnt there but since the other guys in the shop knew it happened the manager said that they would fix it. I am glad they just admitted it. And they are going to try to fix the ABS for free too. (light is on and truck pulls to the right on heavy braking). They are taking the truck to the auto body shop this afternoon and will get a quote. I'm super glad that there was no denial during the process. We will see what happens from here.