Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Another mowing season off to a bad start! Please Advise

Old 03-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Another mowing season off to a bad start! Please Advise

So, just got done tuning up the mower, or so i thought.

Put new blades on it, changed the oil, etc.

Got underneath the mower, drive belt is off! Thought no big deal, so I popped that sucker back on.

Go to start the mower, and it starts fine. However, when I put it into gear, it doesnt even move??? What could this be??

Mower is a Craftsman Kohler Pro 20 V-Twin 54 inch deck. It has 6 gears in the middle right in front of the seat, to the right it has a lever where you select low gear or high gear. I don't believe the brake or anything is stuck as I can push the mower when in neutral. Is this a transmission problem or?? Not very savy when it comes to anything mechanical, but I have learned a little bit over the years.

Any ideas or remedies? or thoughts as to what it could be?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Could be a stretched belt. I feel your pain because I run a mini one man lawn care company and nothing works no matter how well you winterize the equipment.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like either you need a new belt.....or don't have it around the pulleys the right way.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Well yesterday when I put the drive belt on , it took all I had to get it back on due to it being so tight. I guess that wouldn't be the worst case scenario if it needed a new belt.

**Just had a thought, I am able to push the mower when in neutral. If I shift it into a different gear, and I am unable to move it, will that mean the transmission is functioning properly and therefore its not a trans problem?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Could the trasmission or transaxle be bad. The pulley next to the trans seems to be spinning properly, which leads me to believe there is something wrong with it , or no?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Did you put the pulley back on right? If you can't move it while it's in gear then it most likely is not a trans problem, maybe you didn't put it on the tensioner? The part that puts pressure on the belts and pullies.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to go shift it into gear real quick and see if the mower moves. If it is in gear and doesn't move, does that eliminate a transaxle problem?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Just went outside and put mower into gear and it wouldn't move, does that mean its not a trans problem??
Old 03-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't sound like the transmission. Check to make sure the tensioner is putting proper pressure on it. Sometimes the springs on the tensioners wear out. I had to replace one of the tensioner springs on my commercial walk behind mower last year.