Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Cost of Wiring a Wiring a Detached Studio/workshop/man cave thing

Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
$enior M3MB3R
jdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant future

Name: John
jdickey03's Tacoma Gallery
Cost of Wiring a Wiring a Detached Studio/workshop/man cave thing

So I have this building in my backyard, it's 12'x38', empty(except for a workbench, two recliners, tv, couch and a ping pong table) has no drywall or insulation. The only power that comes into it is run from a extension cord from the house that goes through the wall in the building and connected to a light. I want to finish this building and use it as a mancave/workshop. If I ever move out of this house I'd like to be able to rent out the house I live in and complete the back building to a small studio to rent both of them out. Basically my question is what kind of cost am I looking at to run wire from the front of the house(where the main box is), under the house through a trench that will be dug under the back lawn up to the back building. I'll say I'd need 350-400' of wire from main box to the back building(to stay on the safe side), from there I'd like to have maybe like 4 outlets on each side of the building.(theres a wall that splits it in half..19x12 on each side).. so like 8 total outlets, also i'd like there to be hooks up for a washer/dryer, and kitchen shit. Basically I want it to be safe and the building not burn down. I have a buddy that said he'll do it for me, and if I buy the shit he'll charge less. What do I need to buy?? I am totally oblivous when it comes to electrical. And also what is the going rate for a LICENSED electrican to charge for labor?? I'm in California if that matters..
Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
It may be cheaper to have the power company put a separate meter on the building. Running 350-400' of 1 or 2 awg (depending on your power needs) is gonna be pretty pricy.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
$enior M3MB3R
jdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant futurejdickey03 has a brilliant future

hmm, maybe i'll look into calling and seeing if they can install a seperate meter.. i probably have plenty of wire in our back shop. but wasn't sure how to even really approach this project.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
button is one of the sharper tools in the shedbutton is one of the sharper tools in the shedbutton is one of the sharper tools in the shedbutton is one of the sharper tools in the shedbutton is one of the sharper tools in the shedbutton is one of the sharper tools in the shedbutton is one of the sharper tools in the shedbutton is one of the sharper tools in the shedbutton is one of the sharper tools in the shedbutton is one of the sharper tools in the shedbutton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: amphib assault
Name: chris
button's Tacoma Gallery
Man cave

ALL of your questions can be answered at www.garagejournal.com. 5 bucks says youll be addicted to that place.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
$enior M3MB3R

awesome man thanks i'll take a look
Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
BlueOx is on a distinguished road
BlueOx's Tacoma Gallery
Great website!