Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Air compressor tank has a leak, what to do?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
Air compressor tank has a leak, what to do?

So I have a decent, but it was free, used compressor. Its some sort of no name, farm-n-fleet brand of air compressor. I have no complaints, it compresses air and I use it to fill tires, soccer balls, blow stuff (wife wont, lol) off the work bench and garage floor.

Well today it was running and had a tiny pin hole pop in the bottom of the tank. The pinhole is no where near the release valve either.

Is there a way to switch the compressor parts to a plain / replacement air tank or do I have to get a whole new compressor?

I am a tool/compressor n00b, but I know new ones are expensive...like if i have to get a new one, i'll probably drop a few hundred. IDK. I'd rather get a tank for barely nothing and throw the compressor parts and shit on it.

ANyone do this before?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
drill out the hole and put a screw with a rubber washer to plug it. might work
Old 04-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
i would think if you are careful you could drain the tank and spot weld it to close it
Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks rellik, ill try it. The welding sounds like it could work, but I can't weld.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
If it's leaking on the bottom it most likely is rusted inside. I would not try to fix a leaking tank way too dangerous if that thing decides to come unglued there could be flying parts going every where.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Policy Ninja

I bet it is rusted in there. There was a little splash of rusty water under the pin hole spot that popped. Looks like I'm compressor shopping. Grrrr!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
If it's leaking on the bottom it most likely is rusted inside. I would not try to fix a leaking tank way too dangerous if that thing decides to come unglued there could be flying parts going every where.
This ^^^

If the rust has gotten to the point that there is a pinhole, then the metal is pretty rusted. Those tank walls are relatively thick enough where the only way to develop a pinhole is via rust.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango down View Post
I bet it is rusted in there. There was a little splash of rusty water under the pin hole spot that popped. Looks like I'm compressor shopping. Grrrr!

Don't worry, I'm right there with you. My Harbor Freight 25 gallon died about 9 months ago. Fortunately I have a small Porter Cable pancake compressor I can use in the mean time.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
jb weld

or

drill and tap with a plug.

or both
Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
jb weld

or

drill and tap with a plug.

or both
I vote Bondo. People use it all the time to cover up rust holes in body panels...why not air compressor tanks?

I know from experience on a flip car I repainted. Bondo Works like a charm

...for about 2 months.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor freight actually has some decent/cheap air compressors. Husky compressors from Home Depot are also good and the price is not bad.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
Harbor freight actually has some desent/cheap air compressors. Husky compressors from Home Depot are also good and the price is not bad.
They're decent until the capacitor decides the melt and implode on you then you can't find a replacement capacitor
Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
They're decent until the capacitor decides the melt and implode on you then you can't find a replacement capacitor
lol That sucks. I've had one for years with no problems, bought it at a yard sale.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
lol That sucks. I've had one for years with no problems, bought it at a yard sale.
Mine is about 5-6 years old. I bought it new at Harbor Freight for like $180.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #15
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
I vote Bondo. People use it all the time to cover up rust holes in body panels...why not air compressor tanks?

I know from experience on a flip car I repainted. Bondo Works like a charm

...for about 2 months.
Or 2 seconds @ 150 psi or what ever comes first.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #16
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I'd try it, if it doesn't work it's cheap and useful for other crap, if it does work, cool. Then again I'd just weld it.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #17
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
There is a small porter cable compressor that is on Amazon for like 99 bucks, will do what you need it to and as a bonus it runs off the bed outlet on 2nd gens.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #18
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Don't try to patch that hole in any way. If it is rusted at that location it is rusted everywhere else along the bottom, so you just open yourself up for trouble.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:10 AM   #19
Honey Badger1 is on a distinguished road

Army: 12B
Name: Trip
Honey Badger1's Tacoma Gallery
There should be a water drain at the bottom of the tank. You should drain on the change of seasons or if its in a damp place (basement or you live in FL) more often. secondly I'd be nervous about putting a projectile into the tank. that being said if you were to get a self tapping screw and rubber washer I'd tac weld it on the tank after. the metal around it may just give out at 120psi and then you have a mighty fast screw you'll have to dodge. I'd try sears I don't normally like them but they will defiantly have some good tanks. I have a 60g snap on compressor I bought when I was 16 I'm now 23 and it still works great. so investing in good tools rather then new tools every few years
Old 04-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #20
Catbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Catbone's Tacoma Gallery
It's DOA

As a former Ironworker and having additionally worked in the pressurized tank biz...

That receiver tank is officially red-tagged. I would not do anything but junk it.