Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Thoughts on the Pacific Hydrostar Pressure Washer from Harbor Freight?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
NRA Benefactor Member
LTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the rough

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Thoughts on the Pacific Hydrostar Pressure Washer from Harbor Freight?

Been thinking about getting one. Lowes has their Troy-Bilt line, but all have crap reviews. People using them for 30 minutes and not being able to get them started again.

We found this one at Harbor, but just not sure. I was told to check out how many stages it has, with 3 stages being the best.

Anyone use this one or have any recommendations?

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-hp-20...els-98444.html
Old 04-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I too am in the market. I don't need anything super powerful.

I've read reviews (in addition to lowes site) on this one and it seems to be ok.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_378395-24212...c#BVRRWidgetID

One thing to keep in mind it a lot of people don't use them properly and break them then leave a bad review.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
arrrghhh's Tacoma Gallery
I used a cheapo electric ones from Lowes (wasn't gas powered). It lasted about a year - not worth the $100.

Looks like you guys are looking @ gas powered ones. Definitely a better bet.

I just use my hose now with an attachment for pressure washing
Old 04-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTE View Post
Been thinking about getting one. Lowes has their Troy-Bilt line, but all have crap reviews. People using them for 30 minutes and not being able to get them started again.

We found this one at Harbor, but just not sure. I was told to check out how many stages it has, with 3 stages being the best.

Anyone use this one or have any recommendations?

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-hp-20...els-98444.html
troy bilt is made by mtd now pretty much junk
Old 04-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.lowes.com/pd_336396-53393...uctId=3295400I have this one from lowes, it works like a champ, I have used several gas powered ones, put decided to go with thisone, has great power and cleans the deck like a champ, has a hose reel for easy stow, I enjoy using it.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
lmcc007 is on a distinguished road

Name: Charles
lmcc007's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor Freight has some decent cheap stuff, but you shouldn't be expecting top quality.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
troy bilt is made by mtd now pretty much junk
x2. Older Troy Bilt stuff used to be pretty good! New stuff, not so much. It still works but it's just another run-of-the-mill brand now.

I don't know about Generac's power washers but when I was looking into a generator I found a LOT of negative reviews on their engines. On top of that, their customer service got horrible reviews if/when a problem occured with their product.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Saw this thread and it reminded me that I needed to pressure wash some equipment. Just got back inside. I always thought the washer was a Honda but that's the motor -- it's actually a DeVilbiss/Excell XR 2600. It's been a pretty good washer over the years -- it sits all winter and always starts up on the first or second pull next spring.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
smtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to behold

smtaco73's Tacoma Gallery
I Dont know how much you are willing to spend, but here is my opinion.
I have not used any of the ones you have mentioned, but I currently have one from Northern Tools. I have no complaints on this pressure washer.
Item# 1578112 Northern Star High Performance Pressure Washer powered by a Honda Engine. I have had this unit for about three years now.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brny67 View Post
http://www.lowes.com/pd_336396-53393...uctId=3295400I have this one from lowes, it works like a champ, I have used several gas powered ones, put decided to go with thisone, has great power and cleans the deck like a champ, has a hose reel for easy stow, I enjoy using it.
Hmm thanks for the info, I've been looking at that one. I just need it for general cleaning around the house. If I need to do heavy duty washing, i'll go rent one.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Hmm thanks for the info, I've been looking at that one. I just need it for general cleaning around the house. If I need to do heavy duty washing, i'll go rent one.
I will tell ya this thing so far has impressed the crap out of me, my deck was built like 12 yrs ago and has not been power washed the whole , this thing has made it look brand new,same with my fence looked just like the deck now brand new again,already did the sidewalk and some of the driveway next is the siding of the house, money well spent so far.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #12

Quote:
I will tell ya this thing so far has impressed the crap out of me, my deck was built like 12 yrs ago and has not been power washed the whole , this thing has made it look brand new,same with my fence looked just like the deck now brand new again,already did the sidewalk and some of the driveway next is the siding of the house, money well spent so far.
Ok cool, I've just read reviews of them breaking on people. My next door neighbor has an 1800 psi karcher electric unit that I borrowed from him quite a few times but it broke at the end of last year. I think I'm going to buy one and let him borrow it when he needs it to return the favor of letting me borrow his all those times. His unit worked great for cleaning stuff around the house. It also worked great for cleaning the truck after offroading. All of the trim outside on my screened porch is white and right now after winter grime, mildew, and spring pollen (Pollen is REALLY bad here in GA in the spring) my screened porch is currently a certain shade of green lol .
Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt touch any power tools from harbor freight. never had any luck with anything power related from there. just my .02
Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
NRA Benefactor Member
LTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the rough

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxRome View Post
i wouldnt touch any power tools from harbor freight. never had any luck with anything power related from there. just my .02
Normally I wouldn't consider them, but given the reviews on the Troy-Bilt, so far Harbor beating them hands down.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
I don't understand the hate towards Harbors power tools. Just buy the 2 year extended warranty. I return stuff if something goes wrong in store for a new one.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Picked this one up yesterday. I pressure washed my screened porch with it yesterday afternoon. It worked pretty well. It has a long hose which is nice. We'll see how it holds up.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
Taco noob
.28 is on a distinguished road

Name: miguel
.28's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to .28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
I don't understand the hate towards Harbors power tools. Just buy the 2 year extended warranty. I return stuff if something goes wrong in store for a new one.

Agree. I've had decent luck. Just temper your expectations on what you're getting. I had a circular saw from them last me 3 years. Definitely got my money's worth out of that one..
Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGkQ8wIwAA

I have one of these. not this model, but the same PSI and everything from 2001. Still runs like the day i bought it. I use it HEAVILY in the summer to clean my ATV, porches, driveway, etc. Its running at least once a week spring/summer time. Not sure of the new ones, but mine has a honda motor on it. came with 5 attachments. Rubber tires. Don't know what to say about it. Havent done ANYTHING to it. Haven't even changed the oil. Its been almost 12 years.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Actually I was wrong. Its this one.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_378397-24212...d=10151&rpp=24

3000 psi

Plus Lowes sells this one. You can get a 10% coupon from the post office and get $40 bucks off.

Products Discussed in this Thread