Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

The official "get off my lawn" thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #21
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Thanks!

Make sure the soil isn't super compacted in those spots...which if it's bare, it probably is. Aerating helps. On a bermuda lawn May-June is usually a good time to Aerate. Top dress those bare spots with a 50/50 sand top soil mixture. Mowing the bermuda more frequently will cause it spread the stolons horizontally and spread over the bare spots.
cool, thanks for the tip. I went and added some miracle grow soil to some of the spots thinking "meh, it wont hurt anything".
Ill check lowes for one of those aerater spike things. My bermuda has those little runners everywhere so I guess im good there

how about helping with draining? Aerate and add some sand?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #22
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
cool, thanks for the tip. I went and added some miracle grow soil to some of the spots thinking "meh, it wont hurt anything".
Ill check lowes for one of those aerater spike things. My bermuda has those little runners everywhere so I guess im good there

how about helping with draining? Aerate and add some sand?
Just go rent an aerator. Have some neighbors pitch in to split the cost and you all can use it.

A sand and topsoil top dress mixture will help

Where's the water coming from? Gutter downspouts? Runoff? They create a TON of water. Since i've piped all of mine off the back of my lot, my lawn drains a lot better. They were just dumping a lot of water onto the lawn.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
still living in an apartment right now, can't wait to get a house and actually have a yard!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #24
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Just go rent an aerator. Have some neighbors pitch in to split the cost and you all can use it.

A sand and topsoil top dress mixture will help

Where's the water coming from? Gutter downspouts? Runoff? They create a TON of water. Since i've piped all of mine off the back of my lot, my lawn drains a lot better. They were just dumping a lot of water onto the lawn.
non of my imediate neighbors give a shit about their yard, its depressing. the 55 year old bachelor beside us spend every free minute at the golf course. He mows the front once or twice a month and has not mowed the back in the 3 years I have lived here.

half the house has a downspout that goes to the side of the house and the other half is collected in barrels and saved for watering when the drought hits.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...razy-what.html

I take care of my lawn. Just a little bit.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaPrime View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...razy-what.html

I take care of my lawn. Just a little bit.
wow, shitty neighbors! ours are nice, they just dont really care about their lawn much. there are some kids down the street that will run through our yard from time to time. Last year I had the sprinkler going and one of the kids ran through it a few time and got all wet. I guess he got in trouble for being wet so he knocked on my door and asked for some paper towels!!! I said "I dont think so bud, you shouldnt have been playing in my sprinkler"!!!

we also have an alley and the dumpter is in my part of the yard and people are always dumping their large trash beside it in my yard. pisses me off to no end. right now there is a bunch of carpet and padding beside it. (at least we have a privacy fence so i dont have to look at it...
Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #27
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
non of my imediate neighbors give a shit about their yard, its depressing. the 55 year old bachelor beside us spend every free minute at the golf course. He mows the front once or twice a month and has not mowed the back in the 3 years I have lived here.

half the house has a downspout that goes to the side of the house and the other half is collected in barrels and saved for watering when the drought hits.
Damn that sucks. I have a lot of neighbors like that. Hell...my next door neighbor was like that and he finally decided to hire me to do his lawn this year. He works a full time job as a programmer, then he's a pastor for his church, and he has two toddlers. He finally realized he should hire me. I've already got his yard looking a lot better.

Next time it rains pay attention to where all the water goes and the path it takes. That will give you an idea of what you need to fix.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's a shot of my backyard about mid-june last year fully greened up and mowing it twice a week.

Jesus do you live in the Amazon?

Lawn looks good BTW.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #29

I might have to hit him up next time I see him and see if he wants me to mow his yard too.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #30
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I'm winning the battle with creeping charlie up here this year, treated charlie heavily with weed be gone max, 2 times, and its flat dead after 4-5 weeks. Couldn't be happier, now I need to get the grass that is there to grow like crazy... Should I seed or feed the area?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
I'm winning the battle with creeping charlie up here this year, treated charlie heavily with weed be gone max, 2 times, and its flat dead after 4-5 weeks. Couldn't be happier, now I need to get the grass that is there to grow like crazy... Should I seed or feed the area?
weed n feed
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #32
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It's hard to have a nice lawn when those on either side don't care about theres.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
It's hard to have a nice lawn when those on either side don't care about theres.
that's why my neighbor is glad I moved in. I can't stand how people buy a house and then let the yards go to crap. here is my backyard a few weeks after the sod was put in (by the builders, must have been cheap since it was so brown).

before sod:

few days after the sod:

yesterday:
Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #34
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Sod will turn brown (dormant) when sitting on a pallet, but as you can already see, just add water, and it'll green right up.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #35

That sod will green up more as it roots. It probably sat too long. Ideally it should be laid the same day it's cut. Keep it damp for the next few weeks and don't let it dry out. Pull all the crabgrass Asap by hand. You won't be able/shouldn't apply any pre-m til next spring. Have fun on your hands and knees that first year pulling weeds. I remember the first year mine was in....ugh I try to forget about it. Seemed like I was out there every day pulling weeds.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 AM   #36
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That sod will green up more as it roots. It probably sat too long. Ideally it should be laid the same day it's cut. Keep it damp for the next few weeks and don't let it dry out. Pull all the crabgrass Asap by hand. You won't be able/shouldn't apply any pre-m til next spring. Have fun on your hands and knees that first year pulling weeds. I remember the first year mine was in....ugh I try to forget about it. Seemed like I was out there every day pulling weeds.
shouldnt be a problem keeping the soil moist...been having some crazy rain almost identical to my watering schedule after last night soaker, I think I'll be good til thurs/friday and then we have another storm coming in sunday/monday lol
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #37
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Did somebody say sod? We've re-sodded nearly an entire damn golf course in the past month or so. I'm beginning to think I AM grass.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #38

Im too cheap for sod
Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #39
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im too cheap for sod
Yea, me too. If you're willing to wait for it and help it grow, there's really no sense in it.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanglingFury View Post
Yea, me too. If you're willing to wait for it and help it grow, there's really no sense in it.
It depends on the type of grass. Bermuda, Zoysia, St Augustine, and Centipede for example are extremely difficult to propagate from seed. The hybrid variety of bermuda I have is "sterile" and has no seeds. It must be propogated by sprigging of existing grass.

Cool season grasses such as Bluegrass, Fescue, and Rye can all be propagated from seed very easily. I agree in that case it's much cheaper to just start from seed provided you do it at the appropriate time of year.

Products Discussed in this Thread