Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

The official "get off my lawn" thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #41
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Yea. I haven't much experience with the typers you mentioned first, but the golf course I work at is almost all Kentucky bluegrass, and some of the bluest bluegrass I have ever seen. Stuff grows like nothin if you even halfway take care of it.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #42
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my front yard. I moved into this house September of '10, so I've had essentially 2 seasons to try and get it up to par. Like most of the yards in this area, it's fescue, so depending on the heat, it could be about done by mid-July without watering. My back yard is a disaster (previous owners didn't care about the yard), but my focus has been on the front first, so the back should improve here as I get it plugged and reseeded in the fall. Anyways, I'm happy with the result. I used to mow in the summers for work, so I'm pretty good at cutting/trimming, etc., but my strength is not in fertilizer and that sort of thing.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #43
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I think I'm about to undertake some landscaping for mother's day... Can't decide if it's worth spending 100-200 on an edger.. (if I buy one I intend on "edging for hire" etc
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #44
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

IMO, you can do just as good a job with a quality trimmer. Just tilt it while you walk down the sidewalk. If a yard has never been edged or it's been a while, it will look like crap the first couple times while you hack up the overgrowth, but eventually the yard looks 100x better. I trim/edge every time I mow, and it makes the process go a lot faster.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #45
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna take some pics if it isn't raining when I get home.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #46
Creeper

I'm talking about one that digs a small trench. For flowerbeds and tree surrounds
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #47
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanglingFury View Post
I think I'm about to undertake some landscaping for mother's day... Can't decide if it's worth spending 100-200 on an edger.. (if I buy one I intend on "edging for hire" etc
I have a black and decker edge hog. It works awesome. Has 3 or 4 depth settings so you can edge with it, or trench. I love that thing.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #48

Quote:
I'm talking about one that digs a small trench. For flowerbeds and tree surrounds
Oh, gotcha now. No experience with those.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #49
Cybertronian Tacoma

My lawn care routine isn't huge. I do scotts crabgrass preventer in the EARLY spring (blue bag), and then the weed and feed (yellow bag) in mid to late spring. I don't water much, unless we get no rain for weeks on end. I mow at about 2 3/4" in spring and fall and shorter closer to winter. In summer I jack the mower up to 3 1/4" or 3 1/2" or higher, depending. Every once in a while I will put milorganite down too. It's organic, so very safe for the lawn and pets.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #50
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaPrime View Post
I have a black and decker edge hog. It works awesome. Has 3 or 4 depth settings so you can edge with it, or trench. I love that thing.
Would you recommend that for a fairly large project?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #51
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A tiller?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #52
Creeper

We use something like this at work. It's sort of like an upside down rotary saw on wheels?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #53
Creeper

http://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/2984169650.html
Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #54
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Christ.... 3 and a half horsepower for a friggin edger??? I just turn my weed eater sideways.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #55
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We use something like this at work. It's sort of like an upside down rotary saw on wheels?

Interesting
Old 05-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #56
Creeper

I guess it's "over built" so it can be ran for a longer period of time.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #57
Cybertronian Tacoma

Quote:
Depends on how large. It's electric, so you need extension cord. I only have about a 1/4 acre, so it's fine for me.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #58
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Go rent a Bluebird bed bug or brown (brown is a brand) bed edger from a rental place. I know my local HD rents the bluebird bed bugs for about $45 for 4 hours. The picture above is what I'm talking about.

Those bed edgers are for making the initial edge. Such as in the illustration I posted a few pages back...only I did it with a shovel instead.

You would still use a string trimmer or regular edger to maintain the edge each week

Those electric B&D edgers are pieces of shit. They don't "trench" they just edge a little deeper. You need a special blade to trench and a whole lot more HP and torque than a dinky electric unit will ever provide. My neighbor bought one of those because he wanted to trench edges like I have in my yard...he quickly returned it when he got home and tried it out and realize it was glorified edger.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #59
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a few videos of one of those bed edgers in action. They cut a much deeper and wider trench than a normal edger or string trimmer can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehVUVYEbtYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR0PU...eature=related

Here's a good video of doing it by hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcSic...eature=related
Old 05-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #60
Cybertronian Tacoma

Here's pics. This is after 3 years of working on it. I like how you can tell where i stop spreading the weed and feed in the first pic. LOL

Products Discussed in this Thread