Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Raised Garden Bed

Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Raised Garden Bed

We are wanting to build 2 raised garden beds approx 3ft x 5ft x 6-8in deep to plant tomatoes, red and green grapes (1 vine each), tomatoes (1 plant), broccoli, green peppers, and strawberries. should I just use topsoil for this or bunch of the bags of garden soil from home depot? not sure how much I will need though. any pointers?

got the building part down, just curious about the rest.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
3'x5'x8" deep is approx 10 cubic feet or just over 1/3 of a yard of soil
Old 04-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
We are wanting to build 2 raised garden beds approx 3ft x 5ft x 6-8in deep to plant tomatoes, red and green grapes (1 vine each), tomatoes (1 plant), broccoli, green peppers, and strawberries. should I just use topsoil for this or bunch of the bags of garden soil from home depot? not sure how much I will need though. any pointers?

got the building part down, just curious about the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
3'x5'x8" deep is approx 10 cubic feet or just over 1/3 of a yard of soil

geometry > theredofshaw lol
Old 04-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
geometry > theredofshaw lol
lol....not in the right minsdet for that right now

Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I always used potting soil in mine. I guess it would depend on what your topsoil looks like.

You might also want to check out http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

I used this method before and you can grow a lot of stuff in a small space.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
lol....not in the right minsdet for that right now

Old 04-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
I learned a lot about outdoor gardening from watching a YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/growingyourgreens

go there and use the "channel search" and type in "soil" he has a lot of great info on composting and how to get better tasting veggies. He makes videos everyday so it's very active which is nice.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
we're working on bottle #3 of wine...found a couple of sweet wines...BAD idea lol
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
I always used potting soil in mine. I guess it would depend on what your topsoil looks like.

You might also want to check out http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

I used this method before and you can grow a lot of stuff in a small space.
I'm going to be setting up some raised gardens at my new house. Thank you for the link.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
You should be fine with a base of regular soil and mixing the first half a foot or so with garden soil I would think. Everything will Illuviate anyways