Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Flea problem

Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
spitviper will become famous soon enough

Name: Luke
spitviper's Tacoma Gallery
Flea problem

I recently found a really good deal on a mobile home that was used as a rental unit and I bought it. The renters that were in there before had dogs. I got the keys to the place and started doing repairs on it but the flea problem is so bad that I cant stand to be in there to get the repairs done

So I first bomb the whole place with flea bombs, there was still a problem so two days ago I picked up some spray and I literally sprayed everything inside and outside of the entire trailer,and flea bombed it again before I left. I came back this morning and there are still fleas everywhere. Anybody know how I can get rid of these things?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Call an exterminator?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunner03 View Post
Call an exterminator?
Thats my next move, but I kinda wanted to take care of it on my own.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitviper View Post
Thats my next move, but I kinda wanted to take care of it on my own.
Use more than one flea bomb at a time to be sure?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
They will hide in & under furniture so bombs will not get all of them.....furniture will have to be moved, couch cushions opened, etc. Also I have read that bombs kill exposed adults but do nothing for the unhatched eggs. So "several" treatments will have to be done over a few weeks. The carpet powders work fairly well too but will need to be used weekly until the issue is resolved. I've had alot of dogs over the years so I know the pains.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
GTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GTechoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunner03 View Post
Call an exterminator?
x2. Also, make sure they spray the yard outside too otherwise they will come back. Good luck.

For what its worth, I've heard/read somewhere that eucalyptus is a natural way to get rid of them, but I've never seen this work. I think I would just stick with an exterminator.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v
ak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ak47's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard fine ground salt will kill them. cheap and worth a shot I think?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap ass friend of mine swears by hanging a light bulb over an pie pan/dish with alcohol in it. Fleas are attracted to the light, jump in the pan and are killed by alcohol. IDK though, never tried it.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #9

I used 4 cans the first time and 6 cans the second time. They were hot shot flea and bed bug foggers. I'm not sure what the spray was called but it did say that it killed fleas to and its supposed good for 9 months between sprays
Old 04-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
They will hide in & under furniture so bombs will not get all of them.....furniture will have to be moved, couch cushions opened, etc. Also I have read that bombs kill exposed adults but do nothing for the unhatched eggs. So "several" treatments will have to be done over a few weeks. The carpet powders work fairly well too but will need to be used weekly until the issue is resolved. I've had alot of dogs over the years so I know the pains.
I ripped the capret out cause of the fleas and there are is no furniture. Also when i did the bombs I had all the cabinets and draws open.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #11

Call an exterminator and ask for a suggestion on what to do.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
+1

Bombs, carpet powders, and repeat treatments.

Bombs kill the adults, but disturbing the carpet causes the eggs to hatch... so powder treatment, the frequent vacuuming, and re-treatment with powder.
The vacuuming will force more eggs to hatch.
It could take a few months of weekly treatments to get all of them.
Might be easier and cheaper to strip the carpet.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Manufactured homes typically have the insulation blanket beneath the floor, pipes, etc. on the underside, so i would think that coupled with all of the thru floor penetrations would make that type home especially difficult to 'De-flea'.

My guess would be that numerous repeated applications is likely the only way.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe try and get rid of them like you would a bed bug infestation, heat the room up to 140, I saw on some animal planet show that is the only way to kill bed bugs.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #15

Ok, I'm going to try to spray again, and use the flea powder. If That doesnt improve the situation I'm going to just call an exterminator.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
As a carpet installer, I see it a lot. If you have any type of fabric still in there, get rid of it. Carpet more then anything. Then spray everything, prefurrably when it's hot. The entire floor, under the baseboards, in every crack and soak it all good. Mobile homes have a layer of insulation underneath, you should set off multiple bombs under it also. If you have skirting on it right now, then that should keep the cloud in there long enough to kill them.

They also make flea traps that you can leave overnight that work wonders, too.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
buy quality flea bombs. i used to sell them at a pet store. you have to bomb once, and then do it again to catch the hatch.

this isnt a huge problem. once the dogs left, the fleas will need to move on anyways.

personally, i would hire out an exterminator. if they have fleas, they may have roaches. roaches stay forever! a pro would take them out before you move in.

(not to mention bed bugs)
Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
To be continued...
Gorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gorillazrus's Tacoma Gallery
I know it's been mentioned, but had the same issue with a rental trailer of mine, and had to seal off under it and let's loose about 4-5 flea bombs in addition to about the same amount in the living space. 1 for each room plus 2 for the living area and then leave it sealed up for a few days.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitviper View Post
Ok, I'm going to try to spray again, and use the flea powder. If That doesnt improve the situation I'm going to just call an exterminator.
Exterminator. For time and trouble, seems like the best route. At least they might bring a jug of toxic cancer death to spray on em, which your local stores won't sell to you.