Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

New garage

Old 04-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Przemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Przemek
Przemekmsu's Tacoma Gallery
New garage

Thinking of building a garage. For some reason 30'x36' got stock in my head. What size do you guys think is a good size for a garage???? Primary use is going to be for rebuilding a classic car. Thanks
Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
That's a nice roomy size , bigger than you need maybe , but bigger is better in a shop

10' ceiling and an 18' x 8' high overhead door would be a must for me , plus a bathroom
Old 04-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Przemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That's a nice roomy size , bigger than you need maybe , but bigger is better in a shop

10' ceiling and an 18' x 8' high overhead door would be a must for me , plus a bathroom
10' ceiling it is. Thats a huge door. I was gone go with a 9'x8' door (2 of them)
Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Allow myself to introduce myself...
Whataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whataboutbob's Tacoma Gallery
go here for awesome garage ideas...http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
Old 04-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Here is a picture of what I was thinking of building
Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whataboutbob View Post
go here for awesome garage ideas...http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
Site not working!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Allow myself to introduce myself...
Whataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whataboutbob's Tacoma Gallery
fixed it
Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemekmsu View Post
10' ceiling it is. Thats a huge door. I was gone go with a 9'x8' door (2 of them)
Any client I've every built a garage for that has gone with two single doors versus one wide one curses the wall section in the middle

Either way , make sure it's an 8' tall door and not a 7' tall door
Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I like the two doors idea just as much as one large one, but I would go with taller doors and ceiling, just so I had room to throw in a lift. Crawling under your truck versus lifting it above your head? I like option B.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
2012 DCLB
gsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Chief Yeoman
Name: Douglas
gsxrdoug's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember that parking the vehicle is only part of it, the space to actually do something has to be thought of.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrdoug View Post
Just remember that parking the vehicle is only part of it, the space to actually do something has to be thought of.
Exactly.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
Matrix
12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Space Command
Name: Steve
12Tac's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 32x52...perfectly large enough to accommodate just about anything. Shop and one end. Get all that you can afford...you'll be glad you did.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I like the two doors idea just as much as one large one, but I would go with taller doors and ceiling, just so I had room to throw in a lift. Crawling under your truck versus lifting it above your head? I like option B.
That's a great point about the ceiling height for a future lift
Old 04-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic, 5th Infantry Division
1980's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the land, or if lots are cheap like they are here, it doesn't cost you much more to build a bigger garage than it does a smaller one. I've helped build a few garages and the people who opted for smaller always ended up wanting something bigger later on.

The garage we built for the Folks is around 32 by 30 feet and is just comfortably large enough for a workbench and a fridge at back and some storage space around the sides. One side now has a 4 ft wide wheelchair ramp for Mom but still has plenty of room to get out of the car.

Dad doesn't have to use the garage as a shop though anymore as we put in a 30 by 75 foot steel building next to the garage. That seems huge but once you have a permanent shop with wood storage, a place for a couple of small tractors plus the lawn and garden tools, a neighbor's camper and an old Desoto, not to mention various odds and ends a building fills up fast.

If you build a free-standing garage then you can make it as high as you want.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is 30'x40'. It's got 8x10 and 8x12 doors on the front and an 8x12 door on the back, and 10' ceilings. If I build another on my current property, or at a new place, it will be 40x60 minimum. I want to be able to put everything inside. Boat, travel trailer, both trucks, the car and all the toys.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
P-Hill Tacoma is on a distinguished road

P-Hill Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 42 x 60 and I also do car restoration. It takes a lot of room. If you do a frame off restore you basically end up with two cars. The lift was the best purchase I made. You need at least 12' ceiling. If you have overhead doors you have to have clearance for the lift so you have to move the lift past the door and/or opener.
I have 2 10x10 doors with about 5' between them. You need about 12' width for the lift. Boat trailers and car haulers are pretty wide so a door any less than 10' wide will suck. Got to have water and toilet.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That's a great point about the ceiling height for a future lift
Yeah. I mean you may not be able to afford it for awhile but I would definitely build high ceilings. Especially if you wanna park something tall inside like a boat on a trailer, or large equipment.

But I like the lift idea best, no one likes jacks...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
If you have the land, or if lots are cheap like they are here, it doesn't cost you much more to build a bigger garage than it does a smaller one. I've helped build a few garages and the people who opted for smaller always ended up wanting something bigger later on.

The garage we built for the Folks is around 32 by 30 feet and is just comfortably large enough for a workbench and a fridge at back and some storage space around the sides. One side now has a 4 ft wide wheelchair ramp for Mom but still has plenty of room to get out of the car.

Dad doesn't have to use the garage as a shop though anymore as we put in a 30 by 75 foot steel building next to the garage. That seems huge but once you have a permanent shop with wood storage, a place for a couple of small tractors plus the lawn and garden tools, a neighbor's camper and an old Desoto, not to mention various odds and ends a building fills up fast.

If you build a free-standing garage then you can make it as high as you want.
I am limited to 1,200 sq/ft. Township rules.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Yeah. I mean you may not be able to afford it for awhile but I would definitely build high ceilings. Especially if you wanna park something tall inside like a boat on a trailer, or large equipment.

But I like the lift idea best, no one likes jacks...
I always approach everything from a woodworker's perspective . No need for a lift in a woodshop
Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic, 5th Infantry Division
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemekmsu View Post
I am limited to 1,200 sq/ft. Township rules.
I see now why you chose the dimensions that you did.