Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Cordless drills - Makita vs. Milwaukee vs. Dewalt

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bret
2011TacoBeav's Tacoma Gallery
I love makita. If I had to pick those I would say makita, Milwaukee, and de walt. In that order respectively
Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #22
Dromlace is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Dromlace's Tacoma Gallery
I've worked at home depot and played around with a Kobalt, Ridgid, and Makita.. Out of the 3 I liked the Makita and Ridgid the best. The Ridgid has a better warranty than the Kobalt, for the record.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Makita 14v ni-mh set that I've been very happy with. It's a few years old now and came out right when li-ion was hitting the market and still very expensive, so I doubt it is even available anymore. I've dropped them from the tops of ladders a couple times. No probelms. Great set, and would not hesitate to buy a newer one from them.

Even my old Makita 9v ni-cd that I beat the crap out of for 20 years still works. I pulled it out the other day charged the batteries, and it works. Now I can't get rid of it...dammit.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I have a lot of Panasonic cordless tools , they've been great but I haven't tried any of the newer Panasonics
Keep reading great reviews on Panasonic, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
You can't really go wrong with any of those brands but only stick to those brands. I have Ridgids at work and they constantly fail. I have two Milwaukee 18v lithium ion hammer drills and they both have been worked hard without issue. My only complaint is my older Milwaukee is big but indestructible. My newer one is built solid and compact but doesn't seem as solid as my older one. This seems to be consistent with all of the new drills though.
Rigid seems to have gone downhill along with the Dewalt brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
x2 on the dewalt batteries. I bought a Dewalt to replace a 19.2 Craftsman way back when I did electrical work. I wanted to upgrade much like the OP. Long story short, the Craftsman still works to this day and the dewalt is long gone.
I've heard a lot of good things about Makita and even Hitachi.
As for me, I'm sticking with the Craftsman for my drilling needs.
I drain my 19.2 regularly while camping with my flashlight (only came with one battery), but it is now not quite holding a charge; also, the chuck has gotten way to weak to hold a round bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Why don't you want a hammer drill? Sometimes it makes all the difference in the world to be able to switch it to hammer and plow through a knot.
Honestly didn't really think I needed one, but I'll check it out if I can find a reasonable combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacoBeav View Post
I love makita. If I had to pick those I would say makita, Milwaukee, and de walt. In that order respectively
Not quite consensus, but close. I think I'll have to price shop a bit when I hit the box stores this weekend. I really appreciate all of the replies fellows. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I have a Makita 14v ni-mh set that I've been very happy with. It's a few years old now and came out right when li-ion was hitting the market and still very expensive, so I doubt it is even available anymore. I've dropped them from the tops of ladders a couple times. No probelms. Great set, and would not hesitate to buy a newer one from them.

Even my old Makita 9v ni-cd that I beat the crap out of for 20 years still works. I pulled it out the other day charged the batteries, and it works. Now I can't get rid of it...dammit.
I presume it is still worth the $ to upgrade to lithium-ion, though.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
We use DeWalt at work, primarily because the boss has a Home Depot card, and when we buy our own, we buy DeWalt for battery/charger compatibility.

We've had very good luck with them. We had one where the clutch stripped out (but the guy using it was an idiot and didn't care about anything that he didn't have to pay for... he didn't make his 6 month probation and probably cost the department $10,000 in tools including an electric pipe threader)

For my corded tools, if it's for work, it's Milwaukee. If it's for home, it's Milwaukee if I can afford it and if it's something I expect to use a lot. If I'm just looking for something affordable that will give a reasonable service life, I'll move down to Craftsman.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ERS TACOMA View Post
Makita

I have this set, kills over my dewalt set. The white set is lighter then the blue set and I think it has a little more torque, but other then that there pretty much the same.

Ive killed/fried 2 makita batteries with extreme heavy use, returned them and got new ones, no questions asked.

A buddy had the dewalt XRP hammer with the automatic chuck, blew apart the gears after 5 months. Now has the makita.

I actually borrowed this set from my neighbor a few weeks back replacing a section of fence that kept draining my Craftsman...and loved it! Great torque for such a small package.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #28
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
I've had this makita combo kit for almost a year, no complaints whatsoever. also have a 12V milwaukee drill.

makita is generally less expensive than milwaukee. I'd go with makita, one that has the 3.0Ah batteries.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromlace View Post
I've worked at home depot and played around with a Kobalt, Ridgid, and Makita.. Out of the 3 I liked the Makita and Ridgid the best. The Ridgid has a better warranty than the Kobalt, for the record.
Kobalt is Lowe's
Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #30
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Makita

I have this set, kills over my dewalt set. The white set is lighter then the blue set and I think it has a little more torque, but other then that there pretty much the same.

Ive killed/fried 2 makita batteries with extreme heavy use, returned them and got new ones, no questions asked.

A buddy had the dewalt XRP hammer with the automatic chuck, blew apart the gears after 5 months. Now has the makita.

I have been using these all day long at work for 2 years with no problems. I love the 15 min. charging time. I have had bad luck with Dewalt drills failing and batteries not even lasting 1 year. Milwaukee is my second choice but they are $$$
Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #31
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Makita

i have this exact set too. it's been great to me for 5 years now.

i had a dewalt set in highschool and i burned out the drill in a year, i was in a tech-theater class (building sets for plays and misc things for the school)
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #32

Am I an idiot, or did Dewalt have a great reputation at one point?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #33
spins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
spins615's Tacoma Gallery
I"ve used every make of drill out there..dewalts suck..Milwaukee are ok..makita's are good. but the best i've ever used and will always use are the bosch drills. dropped the suckers off 15+ foot ladders and they pick right up and work like a charm. use them for work everyday..have at least 6 of them on the trucks..
Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #34
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spins615 View Post
I"ve used every make of drill out there..dewalts suck..Milwaukee are ok..makita's are good. but the best i've ever used and will always use are the bosch drills. dropped the suckers off 15+ foot ladders and they pick right up and work like a charm. use them for work everyday..have at least 6 of them on the trucks..
had a bosch combo kit for 3 years before I got the makita kit. solid drills and sawzall. only complaint is the battery contacts eventually didn't make a good connection and the grip would get hot.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #35
spins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
spins615's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskquatch11 View Post
had a bosch combo kit for 3 years before I got the makita kit. solid drills and sawzall. only complaint is the battery contacts eventually didn't make a good connection and the grip would get hot.
Havent had any problems with the connections at all..but i will give you that the grips gets a little warm after a while...but reliability..man you cant beat it..
Old 04-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
I decided to try out ryobi 18v lithium one series. Works excellent for my needs. Came with 2 batteries, quick charger,case, drill, circular saw, flashlight, sawzall, Impact wrench.
$250.

My first cordless drill so i cant offer comparison but the batteries last quite a long time. Another plus is the batteries are universal. I bought an led lantern and radio for 10 bucks each.

I heard great things about milwaukee and bosch. Dewalt going down since bought out by black n decker...
Old 04-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #37
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
I presume it is still worth the $ to upgrade to lithium-ion, though.
If you are buying new, I think li-ion is the only choice now, isn't it? That's all I can find online.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
In the past 5 years I have killed (2) DeWalt cordless hammer drills and (2) of their 12" compound miter saws....and so many batteries It's not even funny. I even had them labeled so I wouldn't keep using the same ones.

De-Walt is nothing like they used to be back in the day when they made proffesional tools and machinery. Now everything they sell at the box store is dumbed down IMO.

Gone are the days of machinery like this beauty

That said we only use Makita and Hilti hand tools at work, but thats high priced models that get used industrially.

For home use I jumped on the Ridgid bandwagon and bought their table saw and random orbit sander. I killed the random orbit but it was under warranty and got replaced no questions asked so no complaints from me - I wasn't using it for it's intended purpose anyway.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
I decided to try out ryobi 18v lithium one series. Works excellent for my needs. Came with 2 batteries, quick charger,case, drill, circular saw, flashlight, sawzall, Impact wrench.
$250.

My first cordless drill so i cant offer comparison but the batteries last quite a long time. Another plus is the batteries are universal. I bought an led lantern and radio for 10 bucks each.

I heard great things about milwaukee and bosch. Dewalt going down since bought out by black n decker...
Sounds like a great price. I will give Ryobi a few more years of "testing" before consideration, but have not heard anything negative per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
If you are buying new, I think li-ion is the only choice now, isn't it? That's all I can find online.
At least online, I am seeing 18V NiCad (unless I am mistaken).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
De-Walt is nothing like they used to be back in the day when they made proffesional tools and machinery. Now everything they sell at the box store is dumbed down IMO.

That said we only use Makita and Hilti hand tools at work, but thats high priced models that get used industrially.
Hilti is a weeee bit out of my price range. And it is a shame to see that Dewalt has degraded in quality so much. Seems it used to be The Shit.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #40
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Makita that was my dads. Works well, probably more than 15 years old. Still have original battery

Products Discussed in this Thread