Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Cordless drills - Makita vs. Milwaukee vs. Dewalt

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #41
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
^^^Ringing endorsement!

Thanks again everyone. I'm shutting down the Interwebs for the weekend to actually get outside (and drill shop, of course). If I pick up something this weekend, I'll post it up.

It is now Beer Thirty (EST).
Old 04-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #42
Mikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
Mikehole's Tacoma Gallery
I am a contractor and have owned all three (Milwauke, DeWalt, Makita). I don't do carpentry myself, but my carps used several DeWalt 18V xrp for years (to its death) and my company replaced them with Makita lithium ion battery powered drills. The Makita lithium battery was lighter and friendlier to use than the 18V NiCad battery on the dewalt, but I think DeWalt has since gone to Li batteries.

The real issue here is not the quality of the drill for a DIYer, it is the battery's life and therefore cost per unit (the batteries will go bad before the drill, and you can spend around $100/18V lithium makita or DeWalt battery). A rigid or Ryobi would probably suit your needs just fine, and considering the batteries will go bad after a couple years of only being used once in a while, it seems like a total freakin waste to spend nearly $300 on a high quality Makita or DeWalt 18V lithium ion setup.

Unless you're like me and can't bring myself to own a Ryobi product. I only use my drill for home projects, and I have the 18V Makita now. My previous Milwaukee's batteries were just completely dead after no use for 6 months.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #43
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
All of those brands mentioned (Makita vs. Milwaukee vs. DeWalt) ... all are good ... but ... I would buy the highest voltage with the best motor and gears in the type of drill that you need.

Plus, I would check specials and maybe take someone in the military with you and get an extra 10% off too (Lowes & HD) ...
Old 04-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #44
Mikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
Mikehole's Tacoma Gallery
And one more thing...
I think that Milwaukee used to be made in USA, maybe 5 years ago they switched to China or Mexico. We had an old angle drill that lasted ~7 years (on a jobsite!) and when that took a shit, we got the same one only newer, and that lasted about 1 month.
I think DeWalt did the same thing.
I don't have anything with me, but I think Makita may be made in Japan, which it buttloads better than made in China or Mexico.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #45
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
hitachi
Old 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #46
mrtaco05 is on a distinguished road
mrtaco05's Tacoma Gallery
I use a dewalt xrp everyday dropped it from over 30 ft still works its 14.4 so its heavy but i cant kill it. I just bought at 20v max dewalt impact set and the impact is the shit . Havent used the drill dont need to when you have a lil impact that has about 115ft lbs of torque. Probly overkill for ur average home improver
Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #47
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdpowell View Post
I have a Makita that was my dads. Works well, probably more than 15 years old. Still have original battery
I have one going on 23 years. Second battery, ran over 2 times, dropped a shit load. Its noisey as fuck, but drills, and drives screws perfectly!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #48
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
hitachi
+1 I would never own another drill again? Consumer reports raited this one of the highest drills a couple of years ago. I now have the 18v lithium ion and love it!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #49
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
MAKITA-even good for commercial use. GET the extra battery--used one for years--no problems.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #52
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
More professional than me, sir. You should see my crooked-ass fence.
I built it with the understanding it would survive the zombie hoard. No seriously, it's 6x6 end posts with 6x4 support posts. Fully self floating design. The entire horizontal section is not screwed or nailed to the vertical posts at all, in any way. So when the frost heave comes, it can flex and more as it wants. And if I need to replace a board or two I can undo the top, slide the boards out and throw them back in again after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I have a Makita 14v ni-mh set that I've been very happy with. It's a few years old now and came out right when li-ion was hitting the market and still very expensive, so I doubt it is even available anymore. I've dropped them from the tops of ladders a couple times. No probelms. Great set, and would not hesitate to buy a newer one from them.

Even my old Makita 9v ni-cd that I beat the crap out of for 20 years still works. I pulled it out the other day charged the batteries, and it works. Now I can't get rid of it...dammit.

This is the one I have. It's roughly...I dunno...20+ years old. Stock battery too. Has shit for a charge, but it still runs. Can still buy the old batteries brand new from Home Depot. Thing refuses to die. Wicked torque too.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #53
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Makita
Old 04-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #54
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
I built it with the understanding it would survive the zombie hoard. No seriously, it's 6x6 end posts with 6x4 support posts. Fully self floating design. The entire horizontal section is not screwed or nailed to the vertical posts at all, in any way. So when the frost heave comes, it can flex and more as it wants. And if I need to replace a board or two I can undo the top, slide the boards out and throw them back in again after.

This is the one I have. It's roughly...I dunno...20+ years old. Stock battery too. Has shit for a charge, but it still runs. Can still buy the old batteries brand new from Home Depot. Thing refuses to die. Wicked torque too.
... ^^^ ... I had that same drill also ... might have been my first cordless drill ... got it from COSTCO or PACE.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #55
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
... ^^^ ... I had that same drill also ... might have been my first cordless drill ... got it from COSTCO or PACE.
Ha! That's the old faithful 9v!

Here's the 14v set I have now. Love it.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #57
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still running some 12V Panasonic impact drivers and a drill
Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #58
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Had nothing but good luck with Makita. Not a professional by any means myself but it helped put together two sides of this fence.

Serge, what's that work bench/clampy thing in the foreground?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #59
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Serge, what's that work bench/clampy thing in the foreground?
Workmate
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #60

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Workmate
Well duh, but it looks different from the old B&D Workmate. I was wondering what make it is.

Products Discussed in this Thread