LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Cordless drills - Makita vs. Milwaukee vs. Dewalt

Old 06-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #121
Wallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard:
Wallygater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa3303 View Post
I have had my dewalt for 6 years now and the battery's is starting to go slowly.

I like the dewalt but the damn battery's is too much $$$$$$.
At least you don't have a Porter Cable that works but they don't make batteries for anymore like I do. I like PC, this drill is awesome, but this has spoiled my view and I will most likely go with Dewalt next time.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #122
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallygater View Post
At least you don't have a Porter Cable that works but they don't make batteries for anymore like I do. I like PC, this drill is awesome, but this has spoiled my view and I will most likely go with Dewalt next time.
Which PC model do you have? What battery type does it take?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #123
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
My milwaukee M18 drill and impact make my makita stuff feel like little toys. the milwaukee has way more power and they now have brushless motors with extreme power and durability.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #124
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Makita vs. Milwaukee vs. Dewalt
Like most other things, there's fanaticism in power tools as well, with each claiming their selection is absolutely the very best - which perhaps it is for themselves since they purchased it for themselves. However, that really means nothing to you. Nearly all of those brands are about equal in performance, reliability, and so on. Some individual tools vary slightly in features, but even that is minimal (not going to make much of a difference).

For the average user (commercial or non-commercial), Dewalt is pretty hard to beat, mainly because their tools can be found in most stores. Since the company also has a wide selection of tools, Dewalt is also a good choice if you're planning to eventually expand a single purchase into a system of multiple tools. Only you can decide if any of that is important to you.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've used Dewalt power tools for many years. At the moment, I have thirteen cordless tools, four 18v batteries (two 14v batteries for an old nail gun), two chargers, and four corded tools. None have ever failed on me, and I'm not exactly easy on my tools. Contrary to rhetoric, the tools haven't changed much since the Black & Decker merger. The most significant change has been the release of several lower cost tools to compete with similar lower cost products offered by Makita, Bosch, and others. By the way, will be adding one or two more corded tools (tablesaw, etc) to that selection in a couple of months (new house with new workshop pending).
Old 06-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #125
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have you checked on Ebay? They have many replacement batteries for various items that are made by a 3rd party. They are cheap but seem to work fine. I've bought some for our cordless phones and they have worked great.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #126
Alexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
Alexb03's Tacoma Gallery
Go with Makita! I'm a commercial electrician and use mine everyday and never a problem plus they have a huge range of tools! I have the drill, impact, bandsaw, sawzall, flashlight, rotary hammer, metal saw, wood saw, grinder, and vacuum. Love them all! The white drill and impact are more the homeowner tool, they have a little less power and the smaller batteries.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #127
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is a Batteries Plus store here that will rebuild your existing battery pack with new cells. I haven't done it myself, but I've looked into it, and it does not appear to be difficult.

I also have a friend who has removed the portion of his battery packs that actually clip into his drill, and remounted it to a couple of sealed lead acid batteries. Other than looking funky, it works just fine. He uses a regular car battery charger to charge the pack.

If you truly are in love with that PC, there is a way to keep it.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #128
I come from a long line of Conga dancers.
Natetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to all

Name: Nate
Natetroknot's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a steel/aluminum fabricator and use a cordless like crazy. My company bought a Milwaukee 18V lithium ion drill for me 8 months ago and I cooked it already. Guys at work running the older Dewalts (prolly 3-4 years old, and the 14V version) are still running them on original batteries.

I have a 18V Bosch with the big batteries that I use for personal use (she gets rode pretty hard when I use it, but it's intermittently) and it's been a keeper for 3-4 years with no trouble.

That goddamn Milwaukee was a p.o.s. Chuck doesn't hold bits, batteries don't like to be charged when they get hot (which is pretty much instantly when drilling with unibits and shit) and I've got nothing but bad to say about it.

It's pretty hit or miss. Everybody in the cordless drill business cheapens up their product line here and there. Personally, I'd buy a Bosch and see how it goes.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #129
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Well, I went with this one. I debated long and hard over the Milwaukee options but, ultimately, seems the general consensus is with Makita...LOL, someone is actually borrowing it already so I'll get a report from him to see how they worked.

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate all of your input.
^^ Made my choice awhile back. Enjoying the responses though - thanks everyone!

Somewhat relatedly, I did purchase a corded Milwaukee sawzall yesterday...I've read nothing but things about them.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #130
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
I just bought a new Milwaukee 12 volt lithium ion. I like it a lot better than my Dewalt. About 150.00$ with two battery's. Can't go wrong with that.
I have had this same setup for about 2yrs now. I have added a few of their other 12v tools as well and never have had a problem. I found this on Amazon and ordered one.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-1...=milwaukee+12v

It has been the best investment towards the 12v line up.

I also own the 18v combo kit (hammer drill,drill combo/saw/sawzall/impact driver) and it all boils down to the type of battery. I recommend this.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-1...=milwaukee+18v

I also own the Bosch line of 12v tools as well and they come in a close 2nd. I wish they would upgrade the batteries.

I ended up giving my brother the Ridgid 12v drill combo kit. Just did not preform well.

I use to buy Dewalt but got fed up w/them long ago.

I love my Bosch router. It has never let me down

My fav Hammer Drill

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-11255VSR...h+hammer+drill
Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #131
Junya808 is on a distinguished road

Junya808's Tacoma Gallery
I have a makita impact driver and I have no complaints about it, I use it everyday at work and charge time is at 15 min.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #132
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Any suggestions for a impact that costs around $150 or less? Just need something for the lugs and random times I work on my 4runner.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #133
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had been using one of these: http://www.skiltools.com/Tools/Pages...?model=2354-02

for all the small screws, nuts, bolts that I deal with all day long. A little low on power, but very light, my primary consideration. They were lasting about two years, and costing 40 bucks. I was okay with that. Well, they changed something, and the last one lasted only 7 months. I repaired it myself and got another two months out of it. So, I got pissed and bought this:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/d...driver/2450-22

149 bucks. Five years warranty on the tool, two years on the batteries. Makita is 3 years on the equivalent tool, and only one year on the batteries. Three months later, I am happy as hell with this thing. It has added a bit of weight to my tool bag, but well worth it. It's not going to take off lug nuts, or drive deck screws (at least not quickly), but it's perfect for sheet metal screws and small bolts/ lag screws. If I have to drive multiple deck screws, I go back to the truck for the 18V Li-ion Makita.

I miss that little Skil driver. For those of you who need something for around the house, it's still highly recommended, just not for professional use.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #134
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't see it mentioned but Festool makes the best stuff I've used.

Edit, saw Oz mentioned them. German made goodness. When I was using it it felt like the BMW of power tools.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #135
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I used a 28 volt Milwaukee drill and I almost got a boner. I was drilling 3/4" holes in treated 2x10's like it was nothing. And the battery lasts forever. Best drill I've ever used hands down. Puts the 20 volt Dewalt to shame.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #136
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Brushless ftw! I havnt tried the new milwaukee but my brushless makita impact kicks ass
Old 12-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #137
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
Dewalt drills are good (mine finally bit it after 7-10yrs), but their batteries suck.. those puppies get replaced every 18mo!

Since I had to get a new drill... I went Ridgid due to good experiance with their corded drills and miter saw Their LSA including battery packs sealed the deal. There are some hoops to jump through for the LSA... but at the price of Dewalt batteries I'm game to try it.