Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Cordless drills - Makita vs. Milwaukee vs. Dewalt

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Cordless drills - Makita vs. Milwaukee vs. Dewalt

Makita vs. Milwaukee vs. Dewalt

I've just about killed my 19.2 Craftsman drill/driver, and I'm looking to upgrade a bit. I'm looking at a 18 or 20V, preferably lithium-ion, non hammer drill. DIYer here, not a professional craftsman whatsoever, but I will tackle projects like fencing, etc.

I've narrowed my list down to the mentioned brands and, after reading reviews, I've shifted away a bit from my impression that Dewalt is the way to go. Any suggestions for a honeydo-list-tackler brand wise? I'm not going commercial grade but rather what I can pick up at HD or Lowes. I'll look to add bare tools as needed.

I'll take your answers off the air.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Had nothing but good luck with Makita. Not a professional by any means myself but it helped put together two sides of this fence.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
You can't really go wrong with any of those brands but only stick to those brands. I have Ridgids at work and they constantly fail. I have two Milwaukee 18v lithium ion hammer drills and they both have been worked hard without issue. My only complaint is my older Milwaukee is big but indestructible. My newer one is built solid and compact but doesn't seem as solid as my older one. This seems to be consistent with all of the new drills though.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
nwb3160 is just really nicenwb3160 is just really nicenwb3160 is just really nicenwb3160 is just really nicenwb3160 is just really nice

Name: Nick
nwb3160's Tacoma Gallery
go with the makita unless u can afford to get the dewalt xrp, the xrp model dewalts have metal gears and transmission where the other brands do not, Milwaukee is the exact same internals as a ridgid
Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had any luck with the DeWalt batteries , they all died prematurely
Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
You can't really go wrong with any of those brands but only stick to those brands
I have a lot of Panasonic cordless tools , they've been great but I haven't tried any of the newer Panasonics
Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I've never had any luck with the DeWalt batteries , they all died prematurely
x2 on the dewalt batteries. I bought a Dewalt to replace a 19.2 Craftsman way back when I did electrical work. I wanted to upgrade much like the OP. Long story short, the Craftsman still works to this day and the dewalt is long gone.
I've heard a lot of good things about Makita and even Hitachi.
As for me, I'm sticking with the Craftsman for my drilling needs.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Dewalt is nothing more than Yellow Black & Decker tools. Makitas dont seem to die.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
milwaukee Or Makita
Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you want a hammer drill? Sometimes it makes all the difference in the world to be able to switch it to hammer and plow through a knot.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So surprised recently regarding all the Dewalt hate...found quite a bit in reviews, too.

I've killed a couple of Craftsman drills over the years, but they have been around quite awhile. Think I'm down to Milwaukee vs. Makita now as I can't justify spending big bucks on a "commercial" Dewalt.

I appreciate the input everyone! Keep it coming if you so desire.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Dewalt is nothing more than Yellow Black & Decker tools. Makitas dont seem to die.
Surprised the hell out of me, but I keep reading this.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Had nothing but good luck with Makita. Not a professional by any means myself but it helped put together two sides of this fence.

More professional than me, sir. You should see my crooked-ass fence.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
So surprised recently regarding all the Dewalt hate...found quite a bit in reviews, too.

I've killed a couple of Craftsman drills over the years, but they have been around quite awhile. Think I'm down to Milwaukee vs. Makita now as I can't justify spending big bucks on a "commercial" Dewalt.

I appreciate the input everyone! Keep it coming if you so desire.
I have a buddy who used to use nothing but Dewalt. Being as all his Dewalt tools have broken, he has since switched to Ridgid, and hasnt had one problem.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Makita

I have this set, kills over my dewalt set. The white set is lighter then the blue set and I think it has a little more torque, but other then that there pretty much the same.

Ive killed/fried 2 makita batteries with extreme heavy use, returned them and got new ones, no questions asked.

A buddy had the dewalt XRP hammer with the automatic chuck, blew apart the gears after 5 months. Now has the makita.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've had great usage out of the makita impact cordless drills. I used a 12v one for work every day for 5 years. The batteries finally gave in and then I upgraded the 14v lithium-ion. I have two years without any problems with the new setup.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ERS TACOMA View Post
Makita

I have this set, kills over my dewalt set. The white set is lighter then the blue set and I think it has a little more torque, but other then that there pretty much the same.

Ive killed/fried 2 makita batteries with extreme heavy use, returned them and got new ones, no questions asked.

A buddy had the dewalt XRP hammer with the automatic chuck, blew apart the gears after 5 months. Now has the makita.

The charging base with these are a lot better than their old setup because it uses a cooling fan. the batteries charge quicker and are lighter than my first makita.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Ya the battery charges in like 15-20 min, fastest charge time.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
timbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timbo805's Tacoma Gallery
Makita all the way! I work for a wrough iron company and i abuse my makitas to the limit, going strong after 1 year.

Products Discussed in this Thread