LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Garage finish

Old 04-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Garage finish

Posted and picked up a house with a 21' x 21' x 10.5' unfinished garage. Will park in there in the winter and normally wash vehicles in it with doors open if its really sunny out (for the shade). I will insulate it and am looking for ideas on garage wall/ceiling finish ideas. I have done a few in drywall and have considered other materials than the usual gyprock.
If i go drywall again i will try this new ultra light stuff and paint it with a gloss to repell water the best. Comments?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
rbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: ARFF @ ROC
Name: Rich
rbishopp's Tacoma Gallery
probably should use blue board that is made for high moisture areas like bathrooms. At least for the lower half of the walls. I'd love to have a garage to pimp up like that. Oh make sure the drain works well or the floor is pitched to keep the water and snow melt form sitting in the corners.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Sheet the walls with 1/2" ply then drywall over that .

You can hang shit anywhere .
Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Check your local building code -- most areas require fire-rated wallboard in garages if they are attached to a house.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Roofing steel for walls and ceiling, over 1/2 plywood. Lots of color choices, and you can paint, wash, weld... Whatever you want. Super easy to clean too A buddy of mine did it to his garage. Looks and performs great. And, you can still screw into it to hang shit anywhere.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

I asked about bldg code in Ontario and the inspector/builder is doing the minimum, OSB and Typar over that. The lower two feet is block construction so no worry about moisture on the lower half of walls, the block concrete will be exposed anyways. This house will only be mine for the next 2-3 until we get posted again so 1/2" ply wrapped in drywall isnt an option (cost). Nice idea for the last house we own though! Would have to move the outlets out to compensate as well.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner View Post
pics?
Sorry, no. And he's a long way away and doesn't even own a cell phone
Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
I asked about bldg code in Ontario and the inspector/builder is doing the minimum, OSB and Typar over that. The lower two feet is block construction so no worry about moisture on the lower half of walls, the block concrete will be exposed anyways. This house will only be mine for the next 2-3 until we get posted again so 1/2" ply wrapped in drywall isnt an option (cost). Nice idea for the last house we own though! Would have to move the outlets out to compensate as well.
If you are building it from scratch you can set the boxes at 1" otherwise you can just use box extensions
Old 04-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbishopp View Post
Required or not just a good idea. I've seen several house fires that started in the garage.
Up here , if the garage is attached to the house you need to use firerated drywall , if the garage is detached you don't
Old 06-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

Im going to check with local code but i think id like to install slatboard/slotboard/slatwall whatever you call it. Its pricey though but function is awesome.

Ontario Building Code 2007:
3.2.2.83. Group F, Division 3, Storage Garages up to 22 m High
(1) A building used as a storage garage with all storeys constructed as open-air storeys and
having no other occupancy above it is permitted to have its floor, wall, ceiling and roof
assemblies constructed without a fire-resistance rating provided it is,
(a) of noncombustible construction,
(b) not more than 22 m high, measured between grade and the ceiling level of the top
storey,
(c) not more than 10 000 m2 in building area, and
(d) designed so that every portion of each floor area is within 60 m of an exterior wall
opening.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #13

Ok slotwall is not going to fly. To cover the walls it will cost me $847 plus tax. Way too much for all that function. Def in my last garage though. Regular old drywall i suppose. 1/2" ceiling 5/8" on the walls. So boring.